PDA

View Full Version : Tire Test: The Quick and the Tread

Erik
May 28th, 2006, 19:58
Could be useful for everybody.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10252/tire-test-the-quick-and-the-tread.html

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Continental ContiSportContact 2
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Goodyear Eagle F1
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
Kumho Ecsta MX
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
Toyo Proxes T1R
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07

First Place
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Second Place

Third Place

Fourth Place
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Hmmm....I've tried this tire on an RS6 Avant, and it felt MUCH WORSE than the Pirelli P Zero... :vhmmm: The Goodyear felt much "softer" built and wouldn't allow as high speeds (my feeling).

Graeme
May 29th, 2006, 18:56
one of things worth noting is the common misconception that if you car comes from the factory with (for example) a 225/40R18 Pilot sport 2 tyre, then if you go into a tyre dealer or even the OE dealer and ask for the same tyre, you probably wont get exactly the same tyre..
Manufacturers develop tyres with the brands (ie Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop etc) that use different compounds and have tighter conicity ratings but carry the same name.... Not many people actually realise this and expect to get the same, when it may be a tyre with completely different handling/wear and NVH properties...

Also, sorry to labor the point, but a dealer probably wont be able to provide an identical tyre to the factory as aftermarket/dealer procurement is generally very seperate to that of the factory

gjg
May 29th, 2006, 19:39
not sure if this would be a case with high performance stuff like you get on small series as rs cars ..... :vhmmm:

Graeme
May 29th, 2006, 20:29
Originally posted by gjg
not sure if this would be a case with high performance stuff like you get on small series as rs cars ..... :vhmmm:
I think even more likely on low volume production cars as Audi almost certainly developed a tyre specifically for the RS4 and the chances of the tyre dealer getting hold of one from the original batch are very limited.

Leadfoot
May 30th, 2006, 00:29
Originally posted by Erik
Could be useful for everybody.
First Place
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Second Place

Third Place

Fourth Place
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Hmmm....I've tried this tire on an RS6 Avant, and it felt MUCH WORSE than the Pirelli P Zero... :vhmmm: The Goodyear felt much "softer" built and wouldn't allow as high speeds (my feeling).

My S4 came with the Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico as standard, but they needed changed I tried Continental ContiSportContact 2. I can't speak for what the Goodyears are like, but the Continentals don't feel to have anywhere near the amount of grip the Pirellis had and they don't look like they will wear as well.

Another thing, do they have a harder side wall because ride quality is also down.

Benman
May 30th, 2006, 16:13
Originally posted by Leadfoot
My S4 came with the Pirelli P Zero Rosso...

Yeah, I feel the P Zeros are not given the credit due to them. In my example, I went from the P Zeros (which are rated only so-so) to the Pilot Sport (version 1.0) which were rated as "awesome". Well, after I went through that set, I found them no better in any way than the P Zeros and went back to them.

Ben:addict:

Graeme
May 30th, 2006, 16:37
Originally posted by Benman
Yeah, I feel the P Zeros are not given the credit due to them. In my example, I went from the P Zeros (which are rated only so-so) to the Pilot Sport (version 1.0) which were rated as "awesome". Well, after I went through that set, I found them no better in any way than the P Zeros and went back to them.

I think if you tried the PS2's you'd maybe see a big improvement over the PS1's, but it's always subjective, and there's a million different variables (such as car, driving style, perception, roads etc etc). Different people like different things in tyres. My wifes car had PS2's for a while, but she found them too noisy (understandably), so we've now got a set of Pilot primacy's which are miles better for NVH, but dont have the performance..
Have you tried the new Bridgestone REO50's ?

Benman
May 30th, 2006, 16:45
Originally posted by Graeme
I think if you tried the PS2's you'd maybe see a big improvement over the PS1's...

Have you tried the new Bridgestone REO50's ?

Agree about the PS2s but I've heard the wear is pretty bad, true?

Nope, haven't tried the Bridges. Pretty good? And do they come in the 99Y load rating?

Hy Octane
May 30th, 2006, 17:15
It is true that some manufacturers do make special editions of their tires for certain models.. F'rinstance, the Pirelli P Zero Rosso's that come on the car actually carry a separate designation of "M" for Mercedes. This tire differs slightly by using a different compound for higher performance than the standard ones. I loved the Pirellis that came on it but I heard even better things about the PS2's.. however after using the PS2's now for a few months, I prefer the stiffness of the Pirellis as copared to the softer riding PS2's,,better turn in response and grip seems about the same..
As Benman points out, the main thing is to be sure and get the XL load rating for these heavy beasts.

s42ski
May 31st, 2006, 19:02
Just checked tire rack - they had several new 99 load factor tires for sale in the OE size - an Avon and a Yokohama

The avon was 165 a tire and the Yoko were 232

Anyone tried these yet ?

Benman
May 31st, 2006, 20:55
Originally posted by s42ski
Just checked tire rack - they had several new 99 load factor tires for sale in the OE size - an Avon and a Yokohama

The avon was 165 a tire and the Yoko were 232

Anyone tried these yet ?

No experience with them, but at $165.00 those Avons seem awefully inexpensive... might be worth checking into...