PDA

View Full Version : Launch engine for A5.

Leadfoot
May 28th, 2006, 10:27
I was talking to the local dealer and was asking did he know what engine will be launched with the new A5. He informed me that the 3.2FSI v6 (275hp) and the 2.0FSi T (230hp) will be there and the 4.2FSI (350hp) will follow soon after as will the diesel 3.0L (233hp). Gearboxs will be 6speed manual and a 7speed DSG with Quattro on the V6, V8 and 3.0L diesel. The 2.0L will be the smallest engine in it and no smaller diesel than the 3.0L.

No word on when the S model will come, but it will not be the normal wait of the past, I took from that about 1 year after launch. The new S will possibly run a detuned RS4 (380-400hp) and a DIESEL 4.2L v8(330hp), Audi are wanting to bring diesels in to the performance front as soon as possible to capitalise on their success in motorsport. RS5 will run either a Turbo V8 but more likely a V10 and again a DEISEL(365hp).

I hope this is not his thoughts, but based on well informed imformation.

eazy
May 28th, 2006, 10:33
So, no stronger 3.0 diesel :(
In my mind it would be time for an 270hp diesel. Would be nice in the A5. :)

greetings

eazy

Leadfoot
May 28th, 2006, 10:36
Originally posted by eazy
So, no stronger 3.0 diesel :(
In my mind it would be time for an 270hp diesel. Would be nice in the A5. :)

greetings

eazy

Not at the start. You will have to wait for the S model.

Iceman
May 28th, 2006, 16:13
There will probably be no 2.0T engine in the A5.
More likely is a 2.4 liter FSI V6 with 190-220 hp.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 28th, 2006, 17:35
Originally posted by Iceman

Hans.

The 2.0FSI T will be included in the new A4 line up and as such will be included in the A5. He didn't say anything about the 2.4L but that's not to say it wouldn't be there if not at the start.

The N/A 2.4L has less going for it than the 2.0FSI T, it has more torque and better economy. This engine might not come to the U.K. as the current 2.4L has not sold in great numbers. The idea of hi-performance diesels is interesting. And if true shows that Audi believe diesels are not only competitive on the track but on the road as well.

eazy
May 28th, 2006, 17:44
Originally posted by Iceman

Hans.
Sorry Hans, but for what reason they should choose the 2.4l and not the 2.0l TFSI ?
The 2.0 TFSI is an brilliant engine which has won many awards. So, why going for the 2.4l V6?
Can you tell us more about this?

@Leadfoot
I meant a diesel engine between the 3.0 with 230 and the s-version as you say with about 330 hp.
Something like the 335d. :incar:

greetings

eazy

Leadfoot
May 28th, 2006, 18:08
Originally posted by eazy
@Leadfoot
I meant a diesel engine between the 3.0 with 230 and the s-version as you say with about 330 hp.
Something like the 335d. :incar:

greetings

eazy

The 335d is a great engine and a believe Audi will produce a similar engine in it's range, but the S diesel will be something special, I don't think Audi will produce a 270hp diesel the equal of a normal BMW model and call it a 'S'. No the diesel for the hi-performance range will kick out more the norm.

The dealer said a 4.2d for the RS5 diesel and I reckon the same engine would be used in the S but detuned. It might be a twin-turboed 3.0L but in a higher state of tune, but I believe around 330hp will be near the mark as the v8d will be going in to the A6 soon and it already produces around this figure.

If you look at the power of the current S4 and compare to the v8 A6 it's the same. I reckon the same will apply with the diesel models as well. It the minute the diesel A6 and A8 are the pick of the range, outselling their petrol counterparts and I believe this will be the same in the hi-performance S and RS model, with diesels being the pick of the range. And if a DSG box remapped to the diesel rev range, it would be my choice.

By the way I didn't get an answer as to when I will be on sale, just early 2007. Has anyone anything more concrete.

Lateknight
July 23rd, 2006, 18:52
Unfortunately I think your dealer is just guessing.

They are quite often some of the last people to know exact info on forthcoming models.
He/she certainly wont have had anything confirmed officially from the importer.

Even the importer probably has not decided which models they will bring to their own market yet.

This is certainly the way it is for the Rhd market here in the UK.

Leadfoot
July 23rd, 2006, 23:09
Originally posted by Lateknight
Unfortunately I think your dealer is just guessing.

They are quite often some of the last people to know exact info on forthcoming models.
He/she certainly wont have had anything confirmed officially from the importer.

Even the importer probably has not decided which models they will bring to their own market yet.

This is certainly the way it is for the Rhd market here in the UK.

This could have been the dealer just letting the mouth go off on one, but maybe not. There will be a 3.0L Twin Turbo diesel, that there is no doubt about, power will be about the same as the BMW 535d/335d, thought it will be in the A6/8 models first. If and this is a big if though with Audi's success in the Le Mans it might not be that big an if, if Audi do make a S and RS models of their range of cars then one can be sure that they will make more than their lesser brothers and sisters. For the 3.0L verison say 300-330hp and with the normal 4.2L producing 330hp already say 360-400hp for the S/RS verison.

The real question is not will Audi make these cars, just when?