PDA

View Full Version : Worst dealer experience - but not what you're thinking...

cc
May 27th, 2006, 03:37
Short version - went to a Delaware dealership with the intention of buying a low-mi Daytona RS6 that was new to the showroom floor. During the discussion, the salesman goes over to the computer to pull the Carfax, comes back with a frown, and says that his manager sold the car WHILE WE WERE WORKING THE DEAL. Trying to hide my disappointment, I asked what it sold for - I should learn not to ask this, as every single time I do, I get the same BS answer - the asking price.

Funny thing was a guy and his son had an obviously well-used Avus RS6 in the parking lot with all the doors and trunk open - can't help but think this guy was upgrading. To whoever was the winner, have fun with it!

Oh well, they say things happen for a reason...

Benman
May 27th, 2006, 04:57
Originally posted by cc
Short version - went to a Delaware dealership with the intention of buying a low-mi Daytona RS6
Well that is a bummer! My uncle just had a similar experience...

AndyBG
May 27th, 2006, 10:56
Wehn you want one, you can't have it...

Aronis
May 27th, 2006, 22:19
Hardly rates as a "worst" experience.

Just a hot car for sale....

Mike

cc
May 27th, 2006, 23:35
Probably right - maybe 'very disappointing'.

Your exp ranks up there, but as you know, you're not alone. We finally got AoA to replace a 00 A6 2.7T @ 35k miles with a new 01. They had the car for more than 30 days trying to fix a bad vibration. They replaced driveshafts, halfshafts (all four, twice!), wheel bearings, tires, brakes (three times), etc while kept going back and forth to the dealer. Musta spent a fortune. Luckily we had picked up the car in NJ, which has a good lemon law.

@ 85k miles, our 01 has developed an intolerance for new tires - works great with worn out ones, but vibrates with anything new - been through three sets, each with different shakes. I think I've got bad struts and bushings this time...

darn shame we like these cars so much....

Aronis
May 27th, 2006, 23:55
That tire issue is very interesting.

More Info Please..

Type of tire size STOCK and what new tires did you get? Three sets?

Thanks,

Mike

cc
June 11th, 2006, 13:13
Stock 215/55/16 and we've stuck to that. OEM was Continental Touring Contact CH95, which worked well for 40k, but nothing but a smooth ride to vouch for. Switched to ContiExtremeContact, lasted 45k with better handling and wet/winter grip.

At 85k, tried the Bridgestone G009 All Season, which has received very positive feedback on TireRack. I liked the tire, but it had a little more sidewall push. My wife didn't like them as much - not sure why.

WIth worn out Conti's, no problems, vibrations, etc. New G009s seemed to cause significant vibration, and rebalancing, and then roadforce balancing, made a difference, but didn't eliminate the problem.

Third balance attempt, the tire store replaced the tires, suggesting they might be a bad set as some exhibited "excessive road force". Second set was better, but nowhere near as good as the worn-down Continentals.

Tire dealer offered to switch tires to ContiExtremes, and we took him up on it. Even with roadforce balancing, they're better than the G009, but still have bad vib peaking @ 70. Its weird - no vibe below 60, and above 80, but between its not good!

We just had tie rod ends replaced (horrible knocking noise - the balls were getting stuck and skipping in their sockets ). Dealer thought lower control arm bushings might be "noisy", and we think the shocks seem a little bouncy, so I suspect something's going on between bushings, struts/mounts and ball joints.

Now that we've been sucked into RS6 euphoria, in prep'ing to sell the A6 2.7T 6spd, I'll replace struts and lower control arms, have the tires rebalanced, and see what it does.