PDA

View Full Version : Do RS6's have a unique smell???

T3
May 26th, 2006, 20:24
Ok, I acknowledge upfront that this is an odd question, and that this post creates a huge opening for humor.

Serious question, though. I have owned my RS for about a month. It has under 7k miles, is Audi CPO'ed, no prior damage, and in great shape. The PO was not a smoker, and the interior looks perfect - no spills, stains, etc.

However, I immediately noticed that the interior had a distinct smell/scent. It is not unbearably unpleasant, but is very apparent. It's not a leftover smoke smell.

I can't trace the origin. I changed the pollen filter and had the interior completely detailed (incl. carpets shampoo'd, leather treated). Smell is still there. It does not appear to be coming from the seats or the carpet. Some of the soft plastic trim (particularly around the center console, from radio down) seems to have a similar smell.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this an RS thing, or specific to mine?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom

Audihead
May 26th, 2006, 21:12
Audi's do have a slight schtank to them when left closed up for a period of time. Also when left in direct sunlight. I just think it's the different plastics and adhesives used when building the cars. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

Rupert
May 27th, 2006, 09:40
Mine has a "gassy" smell - (like natural piped gas in the UK). Seems quite strong when the car has been sitting for a few days, but clears when the fans come on. It's not unpleasant thankfully ;)

Leadfoot
May 27th, 2006, 12:47
I have a S4 and though it smell of nothing, I stopped along side a guy in an M3 to asked him what he thought of his car and all I could smell was Bull Sh*t, funny that.:hahahehe:

Audihead
May 27th, 2006, 20:08
Originally posted by Leadfoot
I have a S4 and though it smell of nothing, I stopped along side a guy in an M3 to asked him what he thought of his car and all I could smell was Bull Sh*t, funny that.:hahahehe:

:applause:

Aronis
May 27th, 2006, 21:50
You Bough Jerry's Car.

You know Jerry Sienfield.

He had his RS6 valette parked and the car took on a bad BO odor.

He tried to sell it, but could not.

Even Elaine would not drive in it.

George did not mind, he smells anyway.

LOL.

A/C make it worse? Could simply be duct mold. There is a spray for clearing that odor, I have a can, use it every spring.

Mike

gjg
May 27th, 2006, 22:11
don't fart in the car ..... :D

Mine has a "gassy" smell

T3
May 27th, 2006, 22:17
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the spray. Doesn't seem to matter whether the a/c is on, though - the smell varies in intensity, and seems worst when the car has been closed up for more than a couple of hours (but not every time).

Frustrating mostly because I can't isolate the source. Hard to believe it could be generated by some of the console plastic, but those are the only parts that have a similar smell. The carpets, seats, and alacantra smell fine.

gjg
May 27th, 2006, 22:30
I'd replace the polen filter first ..... mine smells fine but I do leave windows or doors open in the garage due to humudity problem when it rains around here

AndyBG
May 28th, 2006, 00:37

Man i am not some BMW lover, but you, :hihi: you realy hate it, where is all that hate coming from?

:D

JAXRS6
May 28th, 2006, 06:44
My cousin and others have commented that my car still smells "new." At 52K mi that does seem a bit odd, but it's a pleasant smell so I don't mind. Gets stronger if the car sits for a couple of days.

Leadfoot
May 28th, 2006, 10:13
Originally posted by AndyBG
Man i am not some BMW lover, but you, :hihi: you realy hate it, where is all that hate coming from?

:D

No, I don't mind BMW, I actually like a lot of there car, and to tell you the truth I like the M3 for it's ability to entertain, though I would never own one myself, it M3 owners in general I can't stand. Most though not all can only see the positives in their own car, no other and everything revolves around how quick it is in a straight line or how fast it goes around a track.

I like most Audi owners and those on this forum see the positives in all cars, we just perfer Audis that all.

Audihead
May 29th, 2006, 00:10
it M3 owners in general I can't stand. Most though not all can only see the positives in their own car, no other and everything revolves around how quick it is in a straight line or how fast it goes around a track.

I like most Audi owners and those on this forum see the positives in all cars, we just perfer Audis that all.

It reminds me of a little old joke: How do BMW's and procupines differ? With the BMW's the pricks are on the inside.:D

Leadfoot
May 29th, 2006, 09:44
Originally posted by Audihead
It reminds me of a little old joke: How do BMW's and procupines differ? With the BMW's the pricks are on the inside.:D

Here's another one.

What's the difference between piles and an M3. Sooner or later every arse-hole gets them. :hahahehe:

Sorry M3 owners, but it a funny one.:0:

gmbh6
May 31st, 2006, 19:07
it was just a matter of time before someone posted it...so here goes...

"...it's the sweet smell of success..."

sturs6
June 1st, 2006, 02:55
Come on George how in the world can you go from this conversation... reply

Originally posted by gjg
don't fart in the car ..... :D
to this one of such serious sound!!! :D

Originally posted by gjg
I'd replace the polen filter first ..... mine smells fine but I do leave windows or doors open in the garage due to humudity problem when it rains around here

Vegasguy
June 1st, 2006, 03:07
Originally posted by Audihead

I think that's actually a Porsche joke.

If not it should be, more pricks in Porsche's than BMW's.