PDA

View Full Version : Audi announces the launch of 3 new models

tailpipe
May 25th, 2006, 21:18
According to Top Gear, Audi has issued an official press release confirming the arrival of three much anticipated new models:

1. S3 - late 2006: 2.0 litre TT engine plus DSG
2. Q5 - late 2008 as a little brother to the Q7
3. A5 Coupe - late 2007 as big brother to TT

I do not know this as a fact, but given a price point above the A4 saloon, it is extremely likely that A5 coupe will be available with a high-performance engine sooner rather than later to establish its coupe credentials. What makes me suspect this is that Audi has been uncharacteristically tight-lipped about the launch engines.

Stab in the dark: do you think we may see a Twin Turbo version of new 4.2 litre V8 FSI? Who knows, but Audi is certainly working on just such an engine? I expect something hot to arrive just about the time BMW launches its next M3.

Leadfoot
May 25th, 2006, 21:49
Tailpipe,

I also saw this report. I think they are marketing the A5 as a model between the 3series Coupe and the 6series. If I am right then the engines at launch will most likely include the S4 engine in a higher state of tune approx. 365ps to work this the 650i. Other engines will include the 3.2L v6 FSI from the roadjet, and possibly a 3.0d in single and double turbo form. I do agree that a high performance model will appear shortly after the launch (6 months) but most likely a uprated RS4 engine kicking out 450ps.

Remember it will be a lot lighter than a M3 so the S4 engined model shouldn't be far away in performance and blow it away around the corners. The RS4 engined one will be more than a match for the current M6 and we all know it's no better than a lot slower current RS4, so it will destory it in the handling department.

And as for interior and exterior design, no one beats Audi at this. period.

S3 is interesting, will it handling as well as the new TT and what of the engine, will it be tuneable enough to make a 3.6L v6 with 300+ps redundent. With is the engine I am holding out for in the TT and tune it to 315ps or so, it would be so sweet.

eazy
May 26th, 2006, 12:42
Fact is that the A5 is a A4 Coupe. Then should be the new 3-series coupe the main-target of an a4-coupe, right?

The competitor for the 6-series will be the A7, a four-door-coupe based on the A6.

greetings

eazy

Leadfoot
May 26th, 2006, 13:32
Originally posted by eazy
Fact is that the A5 is a A4 Coupe. Then should be the new 3-series coupe the main-target of an a4-coupe, right?

The competitor for the 6-series will be the A7, a four-door-coupe based on the A6.

greetings

eazy

Every car magazine is quoting the A5 as a rival for both the 3-series and the 6-series, so one should assume that it's engine range will include engines to complete with both models. The A7 is not a direct rival to the 6-series but a rival to the Mercedes CLS, of which BMW are developing a rival as well.

The R8 in smallest engine form is a rival to the M6, but not the rest of the range. So Audi at present don't have a direct rival and as such the A5 will be filling that role in the forseeable future.

eazy
May 26th, 2006, 16:29
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Every car magazine is quoting the A5 as a rival for both the 3-series and the 6-series, so one should assume that it's engine range will include engines to complete with both models. The A7 is not a direct rival to the 6-series but a rival to the Mercedes CLS, of which BMW are developing a rival as well.

The R8 in smallest engine form is a rival to the M6, but not the rest of the range. So Audi at present don't have a direct rival and as such the A5 will be filling that role in the forseeable future.
Sorry, but i haven't read any magazine which would compare the A5 to the 6-series.
To the A7: Yes it's a direct rival to the CLS. But the CLS biggest competitor is the 6-series. So also the A7 will compete with it.

Just my 2 Cent

greetings

eazy

AndyBG
May 26th, 2006, 18:05
A5 vs BMW 3 coupe, MB CLK

A7 vs MB CLS, BMW 6 coupe

R8 vs 911 turbo, F430, Gallardo...

Am i get it wright?

Leadfoot
May 26th, 2006, 18:20
Autocar, Auto Express, EVO and Whatcar have all stated the A5 as a rival to both the 3 and 6. Also I haven't seen any group test there the CLS has been test along side the 6, it has always been the 5-series. Maybe the UK mags see the CLS and the A5 differently.

MJN
May 29th, 2006, 09:37
I think the R8 will be under the Gallardo, because that has to be the boss in town. Especially the version with the V8 will be between the V8Vantage en the Gallardo.

Leadfoot
May 29th, 2006, 15:56
Originally posted by MJN
I think the R8 will be under the Gallardo, because that has to be the boss in town. Especially the version with the V8 will be between the V8Vantage en the Gallardo.

The more I think about it the less I believe that the R8 is a direct rival to the Gallardo. Just like the Cayman isn't a direct rival to the 997, yes there will be some who are swayed on price, but in most cases you only buy a Cayman because you can't afford the 997 and you can't say the 997 has much of a performance advantage 4mph and 0.3 seconds 0-60, simple as that and the same can be said about the R8 vs Gallardo.

audi713
May 31st, 2006, 03:08
Tru dat!!!