PDA

View Full Version : Results of International Engine of the Year Awards 2006 held at Engine Expo in Stuttg

chutia
May 24th, 2006, 19:38
And, the winnner is:!!!

http://fastsaloons.com/newsstory.php?reviewField=2687&type=1

interesting, eh, Gentlemen?

thanks.

AndyBG
May 25th, 2006, 00:13
Three awards for VW, nice.

Speedou
May 25th, 2006, 00:24
And BMW makes it again. They just really know how to make perfect engines :mech:

clam
May 25th, 2006, 09:14
The 1.4TSI is the best new engine of the year, and the M5 engine is the international best engine. Obviously this award is performance oriented. With all do respect to the V10, the TSI engine, that is cheaper to produce than a TDI, is a far greater engine(ering) achievement. And so is BMWs own Diesel, for that matter.

Aparently they call it the 'Engine Oscars', which would explain a lot. :D From what I can tell the scoring system works like one of those surveys. You know, the ones that are never accurate in predicting the outcome of an election.

The USA has 10 judges, Canada 4, UK 4, and the "international" judges are all either American or British. Together with NZ, and Ireland, 25 of the 61 judges are anglosaxen. China, Russia, Germany, and France (the two biggest countries in the world, and the two biggest in Europe) combined have 9 judges. Typically the anglosaxen idea of international.

:vhmmm:

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineoftheyear/

Another meaningless award, but whatever. Put that V10 in the Wiesmann, where it belongs, and let's move on.

AndyBG
May 25th, 2006, 23:10
Originally posted by clam
The 1.4TSI is the best new engine of the year, and the M5...

Clam, nice write up!

:0:

chutia
May 25th, 2006, 23:14
When the #1 winner is so far ahead of #2 in points awarded (no matter WHO actually was #1 or2), I don't believe that it is convenient to say that this was anglosaxon, angloamerican, whatever. Statistically, it is highly unlikely that ALL of the "anglo" judges voted for the #1 winner (whoever that would be) and few others did b/c they are NOT anglos. Put another way, whether one is a BMW fan (in this case) or not, #1 won b/c it is clearly the engine judged vastly superior to all others in performance engines for 2006. (I do not own a BMW, so no bias on my part here. Just logic).

chutia
May 25th, 2006, 23:16
I should have added to my next to last sentence:"...the vast majority of judges, notwithstanding their country of origin or preferences, voted overwhelmingly for the #1 winner (in this case, BMW)."

Graeme
May 26th, 2006, 06:57
I have a freind who has an M6 with that Engine in, and to be fair, the engine is absolutely amazing.
I'm not over keen on the rest of the package, but as anyone that's been in the M6 or E60 M5 will tell you, this engine deserves every award it gets.
I hear from a contact in BMW, that the new M3's V8 is better though as it's based on the same design

Graeme
May 26th, 2006, 06:57
I have a freind who has an M6 with that Engine in, and to be fair, the engine is absolutely amazing.
I'm not over keen on the rest of the package, but as anyone that's been in the M6 or E60 M5 will tell you, this engine deserves every award it gets.
I hear from a contact in BMW, that the new M3's V8 is better though as it's based on the same design

Speedou
May 26th, 2006, 10:21
I have been in a M6 and yes, that engine is something amazing. BMW's new V8 will be something totally different. I believe we will see the best V8 for a time...hmm...maybe F430 will still be the most "harcore".

Leadfoot
May 26th, 2006, 18:24
The BMW V10 is and will be one of the all time greats. Who can an engine with roughly the same power as a Gallardo match it in performance when the BMW weight is 300kgs more, it must be the engine that is making the difference, amazing.

Graeme
May 27th, 2006, 00:03
AMG's new V8 from the CL63 is supposed to be pretty amazing too.
I've yet to sample it, but from what I've heard it matches the M5 for BHP, but completely destroys it on torque and the engine itself weighs less and is smaller in dimension

clam
May 27th, 2006, 03:45
The V10 delivers excellent performance, but it gets it from burning a lot of fuel. So much in fact, it needs a button to restrain its hunger.

With the current situation of the nearing oil peak, it's not right that a technology like TSI takes a backseat to another variation on the displacement theme.
Technology also follows the process of evolution, and its success will be determined by the enviornment. In the current enviornment, the V10 is a big dinosaur. Dinosaures are exciting, but they don't get a price for bio-engineering, b/c they all died. Likewise, the V10 should not be rewarded for its engineering, b/c the technology, no matter how much it has cost, is no good. When resources become slim, effeciency wins the day. That's what killed the dinosaures. Their size and metabolism required too much resources.

The technology is doomed, and they decide to reward it.

If the award was marketed as a performance reward, then I'd have no issue. This is obviously a bussiness, and they probably, like the JD Powers scam, sell manufacturers the rights to mention their rewards in advertising. In that respect, it is not exceptable that they are representing themselves as an engineering award.
They should remove the words 'international', and 'engineering', from the title. Just like the Oscars themselves shouldn't pretent they reward the skill of making a good movie.

AndyBG
May 27th, 2006, 10:55
In the center, Clam...

:0: