PDA

View Full Version : sold my RS6 after 3 months!

chutia
May 22nd, 2006, 23:52
I'm sad to report that I sold me RS6 after only 3 months of ownership due to extreme difficulty of getting spare parts from AoG or AoA for weeks at a time; dealer's inability to definitively figure out what it wrong with the car on more than one occasion, AoA's attitude regarding the owner's of their "prize showcase" car. Bought the car to drive and enjoy, not having sit in the dealership. Too bad, really. (Another further concern I had was that the car ran VERY hot already, and it was not even summer here in hell-hot Arizona, US. I did not want to "enjoy" the experience of what 100+degree days every day would do for this car, its reliability, etc.) For the little I got to drive this car, its performance was a "blast." The problems with it too frustrating to keep putting up with.

That said, this is by far the best board I have ever had the privilege of participating in. Thoughtful, informed, respectful, informative, analytical folks. Not like many other boards which can be nasty, perjorative, get personal, ignorant and rather subjective while arguing "facts." Very nice indeed and a real pleasure to be in such an intellectual and international board. Perhaps if the participants do not mind, I can still continue to read and learn.

Thanks for everything and continued success>>>!

chutia

Audihead
May 23rd, 2006, 00:27
By all means stick around. Sorry to hear of all the troubles with the RS. Maybe the next generation will be more the ticket for you and the hot Arizona sun.:addict:

AndyBG
May 23rd, 2006, 01:08
Sorry to hear this, you realy had no luck with your RS 6.

SpinEcho
May 23rd, 2006, 01:39
Yes, do stick around! I hope your next purchase provides more joy and less frustration...

nene
May 23rd, 2006, 02:43
Arizona albeit being great weather to live in, it can be an RS6 killer. The car does run hot under that hood.

Really sorry to hear you did not have a better experience with your RS6. I think in this case it might have been a bad combo of car and dealership, based on your short details.

No reason to leave the board just because you chose to go in another direction. Hope you continue to enjoy the board.

Keep us posted on your next purchase.

gregoryindiana
May 23rd, 2006, 03:03
Originally posted by nene
Arizona albeit being great weather to live in, it can be an RS6 killer. The car does run hot under that hood.

Really sorry to hear you did not have a better experience with your RS6.

Keep us posted on your next purchase.

I would echo Nene's sentiments.

If I lived in Arizona, I would figure some way of getting more air out of the engine compartment, even if I had to use the MTM style hood vents, which some here think are ugly.

At least we know that they do lower underhood temps by objective measure. I think the guy living in Saudi Arabia has given this subject a going over once or twice here.

Good luck with your next choice in cars, and i hope you at least got a feel for what those of us who have had better luck love about the car!!

JAXRS6
May 23rd, 2006, 03:05
It gets hot here in SW Florida, too -- not triple digits but lots of 90s. My condo's one car garage would get plenty hot after a drive. Adding roof vents helped. Knowing what I know now about this generation RS6 and its heat, I would not want one in AZ either. Or even in FL year round; I get to leave soon for a summer and fall in Michigan.

So sorry about your dealership and AOA experience. I had some rough times early on, too, before my dealer here knew that certain rattles meant DRC problems. In another instance my car was on a dealer hoist for a month because of poor communication from Germany to AOA; etc., etc. I like the car so much I stuck it out. After AOA extended my factory warranty I even bought a second car so that I would stop putting so many miles on the RS6.

I truly hope your next ownership experience is better! :thumb:

What are you driving now?

Qisha
May 23rd, 2006, 09:11
Dear chutia,

sorry to hear about your decision. As i read it, it was not only the Car itself that made you unhappy, more the local Service and AoA. Too bad you had no better trained Techs that were able to solve your reported issues and due to logistic failure.

A part of the US Specs for the RS6 are the two two additional radiators behind the intercoolers. Without these the car would never be able to face daily temperatures close to 90°F or even more. There are some ways to improve thermic stability:

Hood Vents:

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/503/1460champion_rs6.jpg
Hood Vents are custom made. If you want your Hood to look like shown on this picture, you can easy spend 1.500 US$ for installing & paint job.

Racing Application:

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/1460champion_rs6_motor-med.jpg
Note the Air Intakes within the Headlamps. This set-up is far from stock and very cost intensive.

Cooling Upgrade by Sportec:

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/1460sportec_upgrade_2-med.jpg http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/500/1460sportec_upgrade_1-med.jpg

This Upgrade is highly recommendable for "high temperature Countries".

Pros:

-better overall Engine Temp
-better Engine Output Efficiency
-better overall thermic reliability

Cons:

-costs about ~6.000 US$ (parts only)
-you will lose the foglights
-factory warranty issues no longer covered

chutia
May 23rd, 2006, 16:46
To each and all who commented on my thread: Merci, thanks! THIS is why this board is the best; you folks make it so. I've visited other boards (M5, MB, etc.): they do not compare.

Thanks and I will stick around.

I've actually considered buying another RS6, but frankly, am afraid of getting into similar problems (not necessarily the same, as each car (RS6 included) is not identical and may not have the same problems mine did). As noted and remarked upon by some of you, a main part of the issues with my ex-RS6 was AoA and AoG..... (Mind you, I loved the exhilirating performance of the RS! Who doesn't?!!)

I've "looked" at the new M5, but, apart from its obvious performance characteristics, I just don't think that this car has yet been "shook down" enough in the US market to know what it's problems (if any) are going to be. Are the BMW dealerships' techs any better trained than AoA dealerships?? How does BMW treat their M5 buyers--better or worse than AoA/AoG?? Although the issues with the RS6's transmission are well known (mine worked fine), I'm not sold on the M5's SMG yet; would much prefer a DSG, but the transmission that the M5 comes with is the transmission it comes with. The only other car that is in this rarefied niche is the E55/CLS55 AMG; but, having owned MB's and had plenty of headaches with reliability and build quality there, the latter are off my list.

Interesting....damn few choices in this select niche, aren't there?

Thanks again and, as always, appreciate your input and thoughts.

JAXRS6
May 23rd, 2006, 17:06
Originally posted by chutia ....damn few choices in this select niche, aren't there? [/B]

You got that right!:applause: I have looked often during my car's downtime, and there isn't much. That's one reason I'm still driving the RS6 despite its issues.

Since you mention the E55 and M5, I assume AWD is not critical -- right? In that case, have you considered non-German brands?

The Infiniti M45 I drove was impressive; fast, luxurious, lots of conveniences lacking on the RS6 and should be a lot more trouble free. FWIW I also drove the comparable Lexus and Acura, but the M45 was clearly the hot rod of the three.

Among US brands I was impressed with the Chrysler 300 SRT8. Seemed almost as fast as the RS6 at launch, tho not so when flooring it at 70 -- unless it's hot, in which case they should be closer. Priced in the 40s, the Chrysler -- along with its SRT8 cousins, Dodge Charge and Magnum, which are even cheaper -- does offer a lot of bang for the buck.

You might also consider cruising forums of other brands/models, including those from Germany, to see what owners are saying and what's going wrong.

None of these is an RS6, of course. IMO the best you can hope for is countering some of the RS6's performance & panache with better handling and features, possibly a lower price, and better reliability.

ott
May 23rd, 2006, 17:37
My first choice after RS6 would be Quattroporte. In many ways different car than RS6, but it's the same niche.

clam
May 23rd, 2006, 17:55
I recall a South African member that discovered a flaw which made the air intake suck air that had passed through the radiator.

The RS6 Plus features a secondairy intercooler system, and I believe this was an option on Middle Eastern cars.

chutia
May 23rd, 2006, 19:55
JAXRS6, ott and clam-
Appreciate your suggestions.

Yes, I have considered other non-German cars (AWD here in Arizona in not essential like in northern climates). I have driven the Infiniti M45: very nice, but unfortunately, "you don't get no respect" in an Infiniti ("just another car.") IF Lexus had a RS6/E55/M5 competitor, now, that might be quite a different proposition, but, unfortunately, they do not (yet, anyway).

Qisha and ott- your suggestions are intriguing regarding more cooling, and, if I decide after all this that I need to buy a replacement RS6, then I will definitely have to adopt some of your suggestions.

A Maserati QP, eh?? intriguing suggestion, that! Lovely car, nice performance specs. Can it be used for a daily driver, though, I wonder? Speaking of which, how many of you use your RS6 for daily drivers, or is it necessary to have spare cars (which I have) when the RS is at its regular visits to the spa (er, I meant, dealership waiting for parts or for the techs to figure out what it wrong this time? LOL).

JAXRS6
May 23rd, 2006, 22:10
Originally posted by chutia
A Maserati QP, eh?? intriguing suggestion, that! Lovely car, nice performance specs. Can it be used for a daily driver, though, I wonder? Speaking of which, how many of you use your RS6 for daily drivers, or is it necessary to have spare cars

I thought of that, too. If long stays at the dealership are the reason you're looking, Maserati may not be the answer. There are so few of them that data on their reliability may not be available. Still, you might find out more if they have an active board like this one.

Also, dealerships are not exactly on every corner -- or even in every sizeable market. But if, for example, you're in Phoenix and don't plan to use the QP for long trips, that may not matter.

As for whether a spare car is a good idea, I'd say that is the luck of the draw. Please realize that as much as you read here about problems, some owners have had few or no problems with their RS6. Owners with trouble free cars don't tend to post as much, I think. Even I had a trouble-free run of 20K mi.

I got a "spare car" because of two factors. Frequent trips to the dealer was one, but here in FL -- where for some reason I've had most of my trouble, compared to MI (where I bought the car new) -- I often ended up with some POS as a loaner. Which was OK for a day or two, but not a week or longer.

In my case a 2nd car also helped keep me from piling so many miles on the RS6. I was up to 50K by last November, which averages out to 1850 mi/month. But now, with the SRT6 I bought in Feb, I am averaging less than 500 mi/month on the RS6.

Aronis
May 23rd, 2006, 23:50
I have been using mine as a daily driver/only car......I have 40,000 miles on it now. Certainly will be paying for excess milage but it's cheaper than having a second car.

Mike

ott
May 24th, 2006, 09:04
Originally posted by chutia
A Maserati QP, eh?? intriguing suggestion, that! Lovely car, nice performance specs. Can it be used for a daily driver, though, I wonder? Speaking of which, how many of you use your RS6 for daily drivers, or is it necessary to have spare cars (which I have) when the RS is at its regular visits to the spa (er, I meant, dealership waiting for parts or for the techs to figure out what it wrong this time? LOL). [/B]

We get here snow 4 months a year and also road conditions are horrible, with lot of potholes and etc. But still, I'm using my RS6 as my only car and annual mileage is 25 k. miles. Now I had my car for six months and no problems yet, except one moron who hit me slightly coming from side road.

My colleauge bought QP year ago and he is using it around the year, except during wintertime, when there are heavy snow conditions, he prefers to drive SUV. This QP has been dead reliable and there are no reasons, why it cannot be around the year everyday car in warmer climate.

Don't know what is Maserati reliability in general, but based on my personal experience, there aren't much more problems compared to Audi. Also one of my business partners drives every day Coupe for three years (summertime only) and he has covered lot of miles without anything going seriously wrong.

ringtaxi
May 24th, 2006, 17:22
Believe it or not I just sold mine too. I had an S8, M3 Comp Packg., S6, Dinan M5, and then the RS6. I went back to an S6. I had put H&R on the previous one and the handling was too good. Never have I experienced such handling. I know the power is not the same but the S6 with minor tweaks can can you to pass most cars. Plus I am truly in love with the Audi Avants. Best looking stationg wagons in the market I think. Cant wait to coomplete this car to my specifications. Good luck with your next purchase.

Benman
May 27th, 2006, 04:48
Originally posted by Audihead
By all means stick around. Sorry to hear of all the troubles with the RS. Maybe the next generation will be more the ticket for you and the hot Arizona sun.:addict:

Amen. Here's to hoping your next ride (whatever it may be) is trouble free!:thumb:

Ben:addict:

Paldi
May 31st, 2006, 13:55
Anybody out there in RS6 land own a power boat? How do you get heat out of the engine compartment? Right, a bilge blower!

No need to put vents in the hood - just suck that hot air out and blow it under the car. The RS6 has enough intake area and radiator fans to let cooling air in but insufficient venting to let it get out, so a fan operated exhaust, a bilge blower, might be worth a try. I'd rig it on a timer and let it run for 30 minutes after a drive to help cool things down. Might even be of use when driving in stop-and-go traffic. Seriously :-)

JAXRS6
May 31st, 2006, 16:54
Originally posted by Paldi

No need to put vents in the hood - just suck that hot air out and blow it under the car.

But proper hood vents should do that too, right? Witness the RS6 that won its class in SCCA ALMS racing in the US. Look closely at the 1st pic in qisha's 1st post here; its hood vents face to the rear, thus sucking air out rather than in. Or click this for more pix:

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/27227.phtml

Not that your suggestion has no merit, but there's not much space left under the hood. How big would such a blower be, and where could it be mounted?

Paldi
May 31st, 2006, 19:25
It's just that a lot of people, I figure, don't want to molest their hood!

A blower would likely be about 8 inches in diameter and 10 inches tall. The ducting would include an intake(s) mounted high in the engine compartment near the underside of the hood. The exhaust would be down low and exit towards the rear.

The location of the blower is to be determined by you guys - my car is a 4.2 V8 VW Phaeton. There's room under there but it's not the same.

k2
June 2nd, 2006, 15:36
here you go

Benman
June 2nd, 2006, 15:57
Originally posted by k2
here you go

Someone just molested that poor RS 6. :D

Paldi
June 2nd, 2006, 17:04
More air and a couple of stripes!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Paldi/Phaeton%20Mods/rs6shelbyB.jpg

Benman
June 2nd, 2006, 20:24
Originally posted by Paldi
More air and a couple of stripes!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Paldi/Phaeton%20Mods/rs6shelbyB.jpg

Uhmm... that ain't doing it right Fred!

Paldi
June 2nd, 2006, 20:29
My bad. .:rolleyes: :rolleyes

chutia
June 2nd, 2006, 23:53
Wow, glad to see this thread is still has legs!

I was hoping to hear from nyrs6 however regarding a comparison/contrast between his E60 M5 and the RS6, as this is apparently the new benchmark for this niche-class of cars and one I'm considering buying. nysr6, can we hear from you, please?