PDA

View Full Version : What's DSG like to use?

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2006, 11:51
I have order a new TT, and this time round I am looking at DSG/S Tronic gearbox. If anyone has any experience of living with this gearbox I would like to know what are your thoughts.

I like the idea of it but am unsure if it's better to living with than a stick.

Erik
May 22nd, 2006, 11:57
I loved mine, and I miss it.

The S-Tronic (DSG) is a lovely thing, and I wouldn't order a car without it if I had the option.

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2006, 12:10
Erik,

Thanks, I like the thought of it and I thing the sure you will not miss a gear change in a race and hear that terrible crunching noise. I know there is an economy saving, but it's £1400 so one needs to be sure about it. So once again thanks for that Erik.

Audihead
May 22nd, 2006, 16:40
It's great fun. I have driven a few Audi with the DSG (S-Tronic). Much better system than BMW's SMG. BMW's system is very jerky around town, not going at 7/10ths and beyond. You truly get the best of both worlds with the Twin-Clutch setup.:0:

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2006, 22:45
I have no doubt it's great as an auto as well as a manual, but do you get use to using the paddles or do you end up leaving it always in drive and the odd time shifting to sport auto when you get a race with another car.

You see this is my problem will it take away from the real driving of the car and as such kill the enjoyment that the manual has, if only a little slower about the job of changing gears.

You see, I want it but it's just I am scared I will regret having it.:brag:

IulianUM
May 22nd, 2006, 22:54
Good choice , I tend to think what a perfect solution should be for the Rs4 , but you can enjoy it .:0:

Audihead
May 23rd, 2006, 00:22
Originally posted by Leadfoot
I have no doubt it's great as an auto as well as a manual, but do you get use to using the paddles or do you end up leaving it always in drive and the odd time shifting to sport auto when you get a race with another car.

You see this is my problem will it take away from the real driving of the car and as such kill the enjoyment that the manual has, if only a little slower about the job of changing gears.

You see, I want it but it's just I am scared I will regret having it.:brag:

It all depends on the traffic and the roads around your area. If you have boring roads and alot of traffic, I could see you just being in auto mode most of the time. If not, I could see you using the paddles all the time. The paddles shift very quickly, not like the tiptronic systems in other Audi, they are junk. This is a very fun system, the blips on the downshifts are great.

Leadfoot
May 23rd, 2006, 09:45
Originally posted by Audihead
It all depends on the traffic and the roads around your area. If you have boring roads and alot of traffic, I could see you just being in auto mode most of the time. If not, I could see you using the paddles all the time. The paddles shift very quickly, not like the tiptronic systems in other Audi, they are junk. This is a very fun system, the blips on the downshifts are great.

That last wee bit sold me on it, bliping on on downshifts very racing car. Northern Ireland has some great roads but it's also has a lot of Traffic Police as well, so care has to taken. So yes I would use the paddles from time to time went going to and from work to home, taking the long way home, but would possibly use auto mode in town traffic where the quattro transmission shunts a little with a manual. I reckon it will all depend when I get that first drive in the demo and see if it's finally got a set of claws to go with the tiger look.

exE46M3
June 7th, 2006, 23:46
I came across this video... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMNRQ1GJ3o&search=dsg)

Hope it helps...

PS: I'd take the very end with a grain of salt... Those BMI guys are highly biased towards JDM stuff...

Erik
June 8th, 2006, 07:24
Great video! Thanks!

Leadfoot
June 8th, 2006, 11:20
Originally posted by exE46M3
I came across this video... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMNRQ1GJ3o&search=dsg)

Hope it helps...

PS: I'd take the very end with a grain of salt... Those BMI guys are highly biased towards JDM stuff...

Thanks for that, it's hard to argue against results like that.