PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country Drive Invite!!!

Silversleepa
May 16th, 2006, 14:59
:addict:

Gang!!! I am planning a cross country drive from NYC to SF (maybe) the weekend of July 2 - July 5. I may do one of two routes. I-80 is the straight shot across, while the route 66 southern passage may be slightly more scenic albeit a bit hot in July!! This route will take me to LA & San Diego area...

Would any of you be interested in joining us in a drive along as we pass through the states?? It would be a great opportunity to take some pics, meet some faces, and document an RS trek across the country from NYC to Honolulu (no...despite what RS owners believe, the car does not walk, er, drive on water -- we leave that feat to a bigger Man....)

please post if you are interested!!!

Rich

mi021le
May 16th, 2006, 16:39
im out of ur way.... but ya

Benman
May 16th, 2006, 18:36
Originally posted by Silversleepa

please post if you are interested!!!

Rich

Well Rich, I'm already on the west coast, but would be happy to meet up with you once you get here.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

Silversleepa
May 16th, 2006, 19:28
Ha!!! Typical Cali..."which" riverside are you at -- toward SF (two of them) or down by LA...?

Benman
May 16th, 2006, 21:08
Ha!!! Typical Cali..."which" riverside are you at -- toward SF (two of them) or down by LA...?

Yo, yo East LA yo...

Always up for a drive north though...

Aronis
May 16th, 2006, 21:42
that would be fun, but alas no time for that yet, maybe after the kids are all out of the house I could do such a trip...when I am 80 and the car's drive themselves.

Have a fun trip, and Please put a full sized spare tire in your trunk, thats a lot of miles to drive on a blow up spare LOL.

And of course make sure the back up battery on your On-Star is fully charged LOLOLOOL.

Mike

Benman
May 17th, 2006, 00:10
Originally posted by Aronis
that would be fun, but alas no time for that yet, maybe after the kids are all out of the house I could do such a trip...when I am 80 and the car's drive themselves.

:D

One thing I will always have great memories of...

When I was 18, my 19 year old cousin and I set off for a 31 day long road trip of America. 82' Camaro Z28, no spare tire, no windshield wipers, no spare radiator fluids (and of course, back then, no cell phones ;) ) or anything. Just went for it! We traveled over 11,000 miles, saw everything, and since we had contacts throughout the entire country, only spent $660.00 each! And no, that is not a typing error. We did however find the cheapest hotels though for the nights we actually had to pay for room and board.

Best trip ever.:thumb:

Aronis
May 17th, 2006, 01:09
It sounds like a fun thing to do...much more fun in an RS6 or a Z28 than in a Winabego LOL....

Some day....

Mike

bilbozilla
May 17th, 2006, 03:17
Can I still participate as an RS6 has been? I'm in NoCal.

Silversleepa
May 17th, 2006, 14:19
We will either do an Oakland drop off which is in your neighborhood, or I will do the southern route and put my Beast on a barge in Long Beach....I'll keep you posted...

I may also think about doing this trip the week after July 4th instead, as the roads will be less crowded (hopefully)...

Benman
May 17th, 2006, 14:55

I may also think about doing this trip the week after July 4th instead, as the roads will be less crowded (hopefully)...

True. Just my $.01, but if you could wait until fall... awesome weather throught. Cooler temps, better fuel economy (less stops for gas) and just a more pleasant experience since you're not sweating everywhere you get out of the car. BTW, we did ours end of September to end of October. Ahh... the color of the Virginia hillsides...:heart:

Silversleepa
May 19th, 2006, 21:31
and to your very important point, not to sweat like a pig would be nice except this trip is out of neccessity I'd love to wait for nicer weather,or do it right now but schedules dictate otherwise -- and since it would cost me a load to ship cross country I figure why not drive it myself!! Should be a blast -- hopefully I will have another RS owner ride-along -- I'll keep you posted if I do the southern route into your hood....

Rich

iconcls
May 19th, 2006, 22:40
hopefully I will have another RS owner ride-along

"...those aren't PILLOWS!"

Grouse
May 20th, 2006, 18:05
If it were me.....

I would head up to I-90 take that to seattle.

Then take Highway 101 all the way down.

<shrug> 101 is the dream drive.

gregoryindiana
May 20th, 2006, 23:32
Originally posted by Grouse

<shrug> 101 is the dream drive.

The dream drive is really Highway 1; but you have to take 101 down to get to it just South of San Francisco. Take 101 until you get to the San Mateo Bridge exit; go west there until you get to Half Moon Bay; then south on 1 for the rest of the trip. And I hope you aren't in a hurry.

Radiation Joe
May 23rd, 2006, 22:25
I'm leaving Allentown PA on or around the first of July to travel home to NorCal. My plan has been to either take 90 through the northern states or 70 through the middle (took 40/66 last year in the M3).
Best for the RS6 might be 90 all the way to Washington with a trip down 97 to it's end just across the border in California where you cut across to 101. Sanity would keep you on 101 until you cross the golden gate where you then go to hiway 1 for the rest of the trip to SoCal.
The I-70 route might be fun after Kansas where the Colorado Rockies make the drive interesting. Continue to I-50 for the desolate beauty of Utah and Nevada. After that it will take you through Tahoe and on to meet I-80 in Sacramento. Continue on to SF and south on 1.
I have a Goodwood Green RS6. Will your car be photogenically compatible? Could be a fun trip.

Silversleepa
May 28th, 2006, 07:48
Radiation Joe...How long were you planning on taking to get to NoCal? I have to get the car to port by certain date for it to ship "on time"....if you were going to leave on the first of July, Saturday, what day do you get to Cali assuming we do some wandering as you suggest....

BTW, my beast is Avus..if it were Misano Red, we'd look like Xmas together (no offense -- the "arrest me red" finish on the car is a beautiful color!)

Rich

Silversleepa
May 28th, 2006, 14:11
Radiation....I have to be present on a mortgage closing, so I will be travelling the week of July 10... this will probably screw up the tandem drive if you leave on your proposed sched...

let me know what's up with you...peace

Rich

Radiation Joe
May 31st, 2006, 03:51
The finish date for my job looks like it's going to slip a few weeks. I might have to stay in PA closer to the end of July. When I first read this thread I was expecting to leave nearer to the beginning of July. I sent an e-mail to your listed address. Reply to my address and we'll stop boring the rest of the audience.

To your question:
I know people who've made it in 29 hours. Last year I made in about 3.5 days. 5 days is a good estimate if you want to wander a little. The I-90 route should take about 5 days.

Silversleepa
May 31st, 2006, 04:20
Yikes..havent updated my data here..the old e-mail is listed...zap me at aroshiro@optonline.net again and we'll continue the dialogue offline...

thanks!

Silversleepa
June 24th, 2006, 12:49
If anybody is interested in hooking up, here's the schedule...

Sat July 8 -- Chicago -- maybe GTG with Davey, DHPress and a few others...

Sunday July 9 -- Denver CO -- I may show up a little late for this one, but if anybody is down, or already has a GTG planned, I'd be willing to join you guys...

Monday July 10 -- SF -- this day is going to be drive, drive, drive, drive, drive...if all goes well, I'll be in SF by 8pm-ish -- maybe even later, so this day is probably a washout....still, any standing GTG's by the NoCAL crew would be a welcome stop for me....

Tuesday July 11 -- driving Route 1 from SF to LA -- Benman -- you wanted to drive north (and then of course drive south.....) this might be a stretch for you -- maybe easier if we just hook up on Tuesday night....

Wednesday July 12 -- I drive Angeles Crest Highway, plus maybe some other roads....

If anybody is interested in riding along, zap me back at roshiro@sparx.co.jp and well settle up on contact info, etc...

peace!!!

Rich

JavierNuvolari
June 24th, 2006, 15:38
Cool journey you have there mate, have you thought about recording it ??? like this guy ??
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/36015/Guy_Driving_Across_the_Country.html

Cheers,

Javier

Benman
June 26th, 2006, 16:04

Tuesday July 11 -- driving Route 1 from SF to LA -- Benman -- you wanted to drive north (and then of course drive south.....) this might be a stretch for you -- maybe easier if we just hook up on Tuesday night....

Rich

No way for me to take off of work but we're on for Tuesday night. I'll put it on my calander. We'll do dinner. :thumb:

Silversleepa
June 27th, 2006, 03:03
OK, so I'll be back in the US in a day...I'll get a hold of you via e-mail and we can exchange cell #'s etc....it's your hood, so you can decide where we should go grab dinner....

peace!

Rich...

Benman
June 27th, 2006, 15:25
OK, so I'll be back in the US in a day...I'll get a hold of you via e-mail and we can exchange cell #'s etc....it's your hood, so you can decide where we should go grab dinner....

peace!

Rich...

LA is not my neck of the woods but anything except Mc Donalds is fine with me.:D

I'll shoot you a PM.:thumb:

Radiation Joe
July 10th, 2006, 22:36
Hope Silversleepa is having a good drive. Let us know how its going, buddy.
I'm leaving on the 17th or 18th on a similar drive. Can anyone comment on the differences between 90 and 94 through the Dakotas? I know I can hit Sturgis on 90. Anything else of any interest around those parts? I don't think there is any time to be saved on one as aposed to the other, is there? Pavement conditions?

Thanks,
Joe

Benman
July 10th, 2006, 22:43
Originally posted by Radiation Joe
Hope Silversleepa is having a good drive. Let us know how its going, buddy.
I'm leaving on the 17th or 18th on a similar drive. Can anyone comment on the differences between 90 and 94 through the Dakotas?

Can't say what the differences are, but my cousin and I once did a Banzai Run from Chicago to Seattle non stop and took the 94 to the 90 through ND. Clear sailing, pretty decent scenery, zero traffic. Mind you, this was over a decade ago...

Silversleepa,

See you tomorrow at BJ's Pizza and Brewhouse for dinner.:cheers:

Silversleepa
July 11th, 2006, 07:09
Ben...sorry I have been out of pocket for the past two days traveling!!! I'll call you back on the number to confirm which BJ's we are hanging at on tuesday night!!! 730 right!!

speak to you soon!

Rich

Benman
July 11th, 2006, 14:40
Ben...sorry I have been out of pocket for the past two days traveling!!! I'll call you back on the number to confirm which BJ's we are hanging at on tuesday night!!! 730 right!!

speak to you soon!

Rich

Yep, 7:30pm at the Brea location. See ya' there.:cheers:

Ben:addict: BTW, getting tired yet?;) :D

Benman
July 12th, 2006, 16:14
Richard,

Was very nice to meet you and glad you had a safe and happy drive out (although long and draining :D ).

Good luck with your family's move out to Hawaii.:thumb: