PDA

View Full Version : Spring Time Is Fun - busy bee time!

nene
May 13th, 2006, 03:35
Well, this Spring as the trees get fuller, my wallet is getting lighter. I've been very busy, and I'm not done yet.

For starters, I picked up a new set of Winter rims, which I am currently in testing phase. Volk Racing Progressive TE 19x8.5 et29. They weigh about 22 lbs.

http://htms.org/img/052006/SpringFun/springfun4.jpg

Along those same lines, I got another set of wheels. However, this other set came with a free car attached. Most expensive set of wheels I've purchased to date.

http://htms.org/img/052006/SpringFun/springfun5.jpg

Just as luck would have it, Stephan was great enough to supply me with a full RS6 Recaro seat set from Europe. I took it to A-1 Auto Upholstery in Waltham, MA, and they did an amazing job of redoing the inserts section in Alcantara, the same as my roof liner and rear deck.

http://htms.org/img/052006/SpringFun/springfun1.jpg

http://htms.org/img/052006/SpringFun/springfun3.jpg

http://htms.org/img/052006/SpringFun/springfun2.jpg

Well, I'm still not finished...can you believe it? I have a box that arrived with the Volk wheels with a full Hotchkis anti-sway bars for the RS6. That will get installed....as soon as I put the Mov'it brakes on! After that I'm done...maybe!!!

Benman
May 13th, 2006, 03:57
Nene:cheers: ,

Absolutely beautiful my friend! First class job! I really like the way that came out.:heart:

Ben:addict:

eph94
May 13th, 2006, 05:17
Love the winter wheels and those seat inserts... wow!

Ruergard
May 13th, 2006, 10:16
Very nice! :mech:

iconcls
May 13th, 2006, 14:42
Where are the brakes?

Boston Driver
May 13th, 2006, 16:58
NICE!!! Hey nene. if you want a hand with your sways, let me know...I owe you...

Oh, and BTW - what are you doing with your stock brake setup???

mmaturo
May 13th, 2006, 20:47
Wow!!! Seats look great (and the jag too). Nice!

Bingocaller
May 13th, 2006, 21:06
:0: Looking great!

SpinEcho
May 13th, 2006, 23:57
Top notch!

Comments on the Jag, please...

AndyBG
May 14th, 2006, 01:16
Great car!

Looks like you realy love it!

TeddyBGame
May 14th, 2006, 10:58
nice work. Can you email me the details on what A-1 charged you. I might consider have my recaro's done the same way too.

-ted

DetailersDomain
May 14th, 2006, 12:27
Did you lower your car at all?

My H-sports will go in this week.

Can't wait.

DetailersDomain
May 14th, 2006, 12:47
you got pm nene.

BBGT2
May 14th, 2006, 13:16
Looking sweet, man those seats are nice looking ehh.

Bajo:addict:

Erik
May 14th, 2006, 13:36
WOW!

And Movits... :bigeyes:

nene
May 15th, 2006, 15:28
Thanks to all for the great feedback. Some additional feedback of my own:

1. Recaros are much lighter than US front seats. Considerable lighter.

2. Brakes will be here as soon as the hand brake manufacturing is finalized. The team has been great at keeping me informed.

3. The Jag is really nice. I got all the options on it, as to make sure I did not miss any goodies. It handles a whole lot better than the outgoing XK8, which I leased one. The looks are great, and I seriously get more looks when driving it, than the RS6. I still love the RS6 a whole lot more though. Exhaust note is a whole lot sexier as well then the old XK8. Engine mapping is more responsive, and tranny works better too than old XK8. All in all, a whole different car.

4. I was unsure if I should install the anti-sway bars myself. I will talk to BostonDriver, and we can discuss install and stock brake setup.

5. A-1 charged me $1200 for the whole work. They supplied labor and parts for that whole amount. I had checked other work they had done, and it was top notch as well.

6. Car is not lowered. Stock height.

7. The interior is a whole lot quieter with the Recaros. The stock US seats have this low volume popcorn popping sound. You get used to it, however it can be a bit embarassing for folks that have never rode on the car before, and hear it for the first time, and they don't know where the sound is coming from. I got used to the sound as it was really very faint.

Benman
May 15th, 2006, 15:46
Originally posted by nene

1. Recaros are much lighter than US front seats. Considerable lighter. Really? @ How much?

5. A-1 charged me $1200 for the whole work. They supplied labor and parts for that whole amount. I had checked other work they had done, and it was top notch as well.
Great price!

7. The interior is a whole lot quieter with the Recaros. The stock US seats have this low volume popcorn popping sound. You get used to it, however it can be a bit embarassing for folks that have never rode on the car before, and hear it for the first time, and they don't know where the sound is coming from. I got used to the sound as it was really very faint.

Ahh... that wonderfull popcorn sound... you must be missing it by now.:trash: :D

TeddyBGame
May 15th, 2006, 20:58
I will agree that the recaros are lighter than the oem sport/rs6 seats.

I think it is funny that Nene referenced the popcorn sound as one of the high points of his new seats. Classic......just classic. Ha!!

DetailersDomain
May 15th, 2006, 21:38
thanks I'm in touch with Stephan and hopefully my seats will be here next week.

Yahooooooo

nene
May 17th, 2006, 18:19
For completeness, I feel compelled to give my friends an update, given that I've spent now a week on the new seats.

The front seats are heated. The rear seats don't seem to be, at least from my testing. All the wires were plugged in, so I am unsure about as to why the rear Recaros aren't heated. Maybe someone from Europe can confirm that they are or not?

I had an airbag light that was on. I figured in the process, I was too excited, and while putting the driver's seat in, as it was my first, one of the plugs may have come undone. I checked the driver's seat, and one of the plugs was indeed loose because I failed to plug it in all the way until it clicks (lock mechanism). I plugged it back in, and after one second, the light was gone, and came back.
I grabbed the VAG tool and found the following codes in the Airbag module:

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 959 655 Q
Component and/or Version: Airbag 8.4EP 2001
Software Coding: 0000707
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
2 Faults Found:
00591 - Seat Belt Switch; Left (E24)
010 - Open or Short to Plus
00592 - Seat Belt Switch; Right (E25)
010 - Open or Short to Plus

As you can see the software coding is 0000707.
A quick use of an internet search engine, showed me the following URL: Seat Belt sensor (http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/587253.phtml)

So, I proceeded to recode my airbag control module software coding from 0000707 to 0000706, saved it, cleared the error codes, and the airbag light is now gone.

That is all for now.

DetailersDomain
May 17th, 2006, 18:22
Nelson, great update. I'm working with Stephan as I write this. I'm going for the black/alcantara set.

Can't wait to get them in.

Benman
May 17th, 2006, 20:11

So, I proceeded to recode my airbag control module software coding from 0000707 to 0000706, saved it, cleared the error codes, and the airbag light is now gone.

That is all for now.

If I ever do that mod, that will come in real handy, thanks.:thumb:

TeddyBGame
May 17th, 2006, 23:05
Nelson,
i find it odd that you needed to recode your aibag control module....but I guess it sounds consistent with what I went through when I added my sport seats:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/587253.phtml

I have yet to recode my airbag module back to it's original setting with my new recaro's to see if there are any issues. One of these days, I'll find the time to do it.

:)

nene
May 18th, 2006, 01:41
Ted,
Your post is the one I found and used to recode the airbag module. :)