PDA

View Full Version : Champion RS6 specifications

Erik
March 19th, 2003, 19:20
Allright here's the specification of the Audi RS 6 Competition so you know what kind of modifications to look for.

The Audi RS 6 Competition cars were produced to race in the SCCA SPEED World Challenge GT Championship and were built by Champion Racing in our Pompano Beach, Florida shops.

Body:
Audi RS 6 quattro sedan body shell, fully seam welded, and reinforced.
Full alloy roll cage with integrated suspension pickup reinforcements.
Forged Alloy Wheels 18 x 9.5 inches (Champion Motorsports).
Fuel system, 100 Liters capacity (Champion Racing).
Standard RS 6 aluminum fenders and front hood.
Carbon fiber rear deck lid with RS 6 mounted rear spoiler.
Anti-fog front and rear windscreens (Lexan).

Interior:
Motec Data Acquisition system with 40 logging channels.
Recaro FIA Standard drivers seat.
6 point safety harness system.
Full electronic fire suppression system.

Engine and drive train:
475 horsepower RS 6 4.2 liter, Bi-Turbo Cosworth Technologies-prepared V8 engine.
Larger more efficient CTI spec. intercooler, and air charge plumbing.
Larger more efficient CTI spec. air to oil cooler.
Larger more efficient CTI spec. air to water radiator.
3 plate Tilton clutch package, mounted to a Champion Racing Specification single mass flywheel.
6-speed Audi quattro transaxle, with 40:60 torque split front to rear.
Engine management system (Pectel).

Suspension and Brakes:
Ohlins 5 way adjustable dampers.
Eibach competition coil springs.
RS 6 standard braking system, with full floating cast iron rotors.
Fully adjustable, modified suspension arms with uniball joints.
Adjustable front and rear anti-roll bars.

Additional Options:
Carbon fiber door panels and trim.
AP racing on board air jacking system.
6 channel Motorola communication system
Champion Racing carbon fiber front splitter and air dam system.

Benman
March 20th, 2003, 19:50
it,s awesome to see how close to stock this thing is (unlike
the euro DTM audi tt) it just goes to show the cars potential:bigeyes:

:addict:
RS6 NUT

Richard
March 21st, 2003, 01:30
:bigeyes:

Also running the S4/RS4 Six Speed Manual Gearbox.:p

JP4
March 21st, 2003, 06:49
Erik....do you have any idea what size tire they put on the 18 x 9.5 rims?

DHall1
January 28th, 2015, 18:37
Boom cha cha cha

kruat
January 28th, 2015, 20:04
Only 25hp more then stock trim huh. But I'm sure more reliable at high rpm for long duration.

lswing
January 28th, 2015, 20:43
Diggin' for gold...

CBeau
January 28th, 2015, 21:25
I spent some time working on a Speed World Challenge Team after Champion Audis were done, 04-06. We raced Volvo S60Rs (as per homologation not much left of the stock car other than base chassis tub and block... prob. pretty much same for RS6s) and Porsche GT3 Cups which were just factory normal GT3 Cup Cars tweaked up a bit to Speed World Challenge specs. Actually some of the key guys on that team were some of the ex key guys on the Champion RS6 team and Galati and Pobst were the main drivers too.

The guys I knew from that Audi team said those cars were awesome. Results pretty much tell that whole story. But I can tell you our Volvo Engines were also "Cosworth prepped" (the latest iterations Mahle had taken over the engine program... and I think they were related / bought out Cosworth Racing, I'm not really sure on that) and there was not much AT ALL left of the original configuration, beyond right up to the line of what the rules / homologation required which was pretty much the block but even it was sleeved etc. so really nothing left. And as a matter of fact other than some fabricating of air charge plumbing and things like that the team guys pretty much had nothing to do with the engine at all, including the ECUs (Volvos had Pectel (?sp) Porsche some MoTec some some kind of proprietary Porsche Motorsports ECU). And moreover than the engine, I would seriously doubt - although I don't know for sure could ask I still keep in touch with some of those guys - there was much stock of anything in those Audi transmissions regardless of what Audi car it might have come from. Our Volvos used a Xtrac gearbox (dog box.... or dog gear box) and TC unit that was modified from one built for a WRC Ralley car. They were $70k each!! And they went thru them too. Always had spares. Xtrac is famous for like Indy car gear boxes. Big rich kid stuff. The Porsches had Porsche Motorsports racing boxes some more normal shift linkage, some the late 2000s RSR type sequentials with the big long shift stick which is really just so driver doesn't have to take time and effort to reach down to low stick... they put it right at steering wheel center diameter height, I assume not with wheel mounted paddles for 24 hrs. + worth of racing longevity and reliability, blv they still make the 911 based even top level / RSR race cars that way. I also seriously doubt the brakes had any stock Audi components. I will bet anyone serious $$ the rear brakes weren't stock RS6 brakes LOL. The types of calipers used on cars like that - almost always either Brembo or AP - cost about $3k-4k per corner min., not to mention the pedal box set and fluid canisters and bias adjustments, and pads and rotors that they would go thru like toilet paper. etc.

But boy I did love those Champion RS6s. Was for sure one of the things that made me say "gotta get one of those someday". The whole Champion racing story and the owner Dave behind it and subsequent factory supported ALMS LMP1 cars is pretty unreal. US pro roadracing sure has changed thru the years, like a soap opera, a really juicy one. But I can almost guarantee it will never be the same again. Although I will say SCCA / Speed World Challenge is doing a pretty damn good job with their series but still, without any really heft for any kind of meaningful TV coverage etc. Actually the team I worked on was bought and morphed into the KPax Racing team who did Volvos for sometime thereafter very successfully and most recently McLarens. Tudor series will die on the vine IMO, and I think the France family has wanted it that way by design from the start.

I can share an old and oft repeated adage.... might be valuable.... "I can tell you how to make a small fortune in professional roadracing.... Answer = start with a really big one!!".

Anybody wants any real specifics on those Champion cars I'm pretty sure I'd know who to ask, short of engine and trans.... gotta go to England and maybe now Germany for that.

salukifan
January 29th, 2015, 00:52
I spent some time working on a Speed World Challenge Team after Champion Audis were done, 04-06. We raced Volvo S60Rs (as per homologation not much left of the stock car other than base chassis tub and block... prob. pretty much same for RS6s) and Porsche GT3 Cups which were just factory normal GT3 Cup Cars tweaked up a bit to Speed World Challenge specs. Actually some of the key guys on that team were some of the ex key guys on the Champion RS6 team and Galati and Pobst were the main drivers too.

The guys I knew from that Audi team said those cars were awesome. Results pretty much tell that whole story. But I can tell you our Volvo Engines were also "Cosworth prepped" (the latest iterations Mahle had taken over the engine program... and I think they were related / bought out Cosworth Racing, I'm not really sure on that) and there was not much AT ALL left of the original configuration, beyond right up to the line of what the rules / homologation required which was pretty much the block but even it was sleeved etc. so really nothing left. And as a matter of fact other than some fabricating of air charge plumbing and things like that the team guys pretty much had nothing to do with the engine at all, including the ECUs (Volvos had Pectel (?sp) Porsche some MoTec some some kind of proprietary Porsche Motorsports ECU). And moreover than the engine, I would seriously doubt - although I don't know for sure could ask I still keep in touch with some of those guys - there was much stock of anything in those Audi transmissions regardless of what Audi car it might have come from. Our Volvos used a Xtrac gearbox (dog box.... or dog gear box) and TC unit that was modified from one built for a WRC Ralley car. They were $70k each!! And they went thru them too. Always had spares. Xtrac is famous for like Indy car gear boxes. Big rich kid stuff. The Porsches had Porsche Motorsports racing boxes some more normal shift linkage, some the late 2000s RSR type sequentials with the big long shift stick which is really just so driver doesn't have to take time and effort to reach down to low stick... they put it right at steering wheel center diameter height, I assume not with wheel mounted paddles for 24 hrs. + worth of racing longevity and reliability, blv they still make the 911 based even top level / RSR race cars that way. I also seriously doubt the brakes had any stock Audi components. I will bet anyone serious $$ the rear brakes weren't stock RS6 brakes LOL. The types of calipers used on cars like that - almost always either Brembo or AP - cost about $3k-4k per corner min., not to mention the pedal box set and fluid canisters and bias adjustments, and pads and rotors that they would go thru like toilet paper. etc.

But boy I did love those Champion RS6s. Was for sure one of the things that made me say "gotta get one of those someday". The whole Champion racing story and the owner Dave behind it and subsequent factory supported ALMS LMP1 cars is pretty unreal. US pro roadracing sure has changed thru the years, like a soap opera, a really juicy one. But I can almost guarantee it will never be the same again. Although I will say SCCA / Speed World Challenge is doing a pretty damn good job with their series but still, without any really heft for any kind of meaningful TV coverage etc. Actually the team I worked on was bought and morphed into the KPax Racing team who did Volvos for sometime thereafter very successfully and most recently McLarens. Tudor series will die on the vine IMO, and I think the France family has wanted it that way by design from the start.

I can share an old and oft repeated adage.... might be valuable.... "I can tell you how to make a small fortune in professional roadracing.... Answer = start with a really big one!!".

Anybody wants any real specifics on those Champion cars I'm pretty sure I'd know who to ask, short of engine and trans.... gotta go to England and maybe now Germany for that.
What's the easy way to install a 6 speed? No other questions beyond that.

hahnmgh63
January 29th, 2015, 01:02
"What's the easy way to install a 6 speed? No other questions beyond that."
Been covered in depth here, just do a search on manual conversion.

lswing
January 29th, 2015, 01:08
Easy way?...just put one in. SteveKen on here has/had the adapter kit, then you need trans, then it's like any other just tougher. Search function on here is poor. Use Google "site:rs6.com 6-speed swap".

I'll get you my email so you can PayPal me $500 for this precious information.

salukifan
January 31st, 2015, 05:24
From reading the results of most of those searches, my guess is all of those cars have issues CEL, Limp Mode or otherwise. If it were even a tenth as easy as you say there'd be dozens here with a 6 speed already.

lswing
January 31st, 2015, 05:45
From reading the results of most of those searches, my guess is all of those cars have issues CEL, Limp Mode or otherwise. If it were even a tenth as easy as you say there'd be dozens here with a 6 speed already.

There are dozens converted by now. If you know how to swap a trans and have $10k you'll be fine, it's not cheap or easy or quick. Personally I'll always stick with the auto, and it was about $7,500 parts and labor.

hahnmgh63
January 31st, 2015, 06:12
Not too difficult but also not cheap. And there are now a couple of tuners out there that do the ECU software so no CEL or limp mode. A few of the cars have thousands of miles on them already.

Turbowned
January 31st, 2015, 16:28
I remember seeing one of these Champion Racing RS6's for sale about a year ago on eBay, just north of $100k if I recall correctly. A steal for a car like that!!

Good page from Car and Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/scca-speed-world-challenge-grand-touring-class-feature-champion-racing-audi-rs-6-page-4

I really wish I was at Lime Rock when these cars were running; I didn't make my first trip out there until 2006 for the ALMS race.