PDA

View Full Version : Will Turbos Return to Audi?

eazy
May 8th, 2006, 22:04
Hi guys,

i've found a very nice article on audiworld.com about how an turbo-future for audi may look like.

Enjoy it:
http://www.audiworld.com/news/06/turbos/

greetings

eazy

Benman
May 8th, 2006, 22:56
Thanks, enjoyed it. I for one hope Audi does. Turbos (and quattro) are what even got my eye turned towards Audi's direction in the first place. And Honestly, I think it would be a long time before I'd ever consider owning a non turbo car again (the Q7 is for the Mrs. :D). The new RS 4 is awesome, but I'm hooked on turbos. Maybe when I mature...

Ben :addict:

AndyBG
May 9th, 2006, 00:19
Turbo will be back, that is 100% sure, they made this ''turbo gap'' in order to create new potential owners and than present BIG TURBO COMEBACK.

Leadfoot
May 9th, 2006, 00:48
Interesting reading, I also believe Audi current N/A engine are only to show it's rivals and customers that it's not only one of the best turbo engine producers but N/A engine as well.

N/A engines have there place of which light weight sportcars are best suited. But Autoban Cruiser require alot of power and torque and the best way to provide this is through turbo or supercharging an engine.

Up until now Audi have always favoured the turbo route, but with the cost of fuel I reckon the new bi-charged engine technology (supercharger/turbo) in a small engine is the best way forward. Audi are shifting their handling ideas from safety first to now include entertainment and this can only be done by lightening the nose of the car which improves weight balance. A small engine will make this cheaper to do and bi-charging the engine will produce the desired performance and fuel economy.

I now the next RS6 will have a large V10 Bi-Turbo engine, but I wouldn't rule out the one after that might use a smaller Bi-charged unit eg. 3.6L v6, an engine like this if you use the new Golf GT as a guage could produce 550bhp and as much in torque no problem. Think about that, better economy, handling and acceleration all down to less weight.

The only problem is women have made us think that size matters. Remember boys, it's not how big it is, it's how you use it.:hahahehe:

Lateknight
July 20th, 2006, 02:07
You just never now whose following who.

Are Audi 'copying' BMW converting to naturally aspirated engines?

Or, are BMW copying Audi now with turbocharging the latest 3ltr 3 series (335i).

I think its inevitable that forced induction of some sort, in hand with smaller engines will be more common place in the future to get manufacturers under the ever decreasing emission limits.