http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7153/tt0ll.jpg

:ttaddict:

AndyBG
May 8th, 2006, 13:12
GREAT look!

:ttaddict:

Leadfoot
May 8th, 2006, 14:49
Iceman already posted this, but with the RS type grille it really does make the new TT mean as hell.

Leadfoot
May 9th, 2006, 23:58
Guys, I can't believe that the up and coming TT-RS will have a N/A engine. Exclude the new RS4, every RS model has used turbos.

The new S6 is N/A, the RS6 most likely turboed, S8 is N/A and the rumoured RS8 like the RS6. The R8 both engines V8 and V10 are N/A, but note the V10 isn't being called a R8-RS, if this model appears it too will most likely be turboed.

I believe the 2008 TT-S will get the engine from the soon to arrive Golf R36 with a possible 300bhp/265ft/lb, this should give the TT-S a 0-60 time of 5 seconds and a price of £33000, the 2009 TT-RS will be taking the fight to the Z4M Coupe with a 3.2L V6 twin-turbo producing a possible 350+bhp/330ft/lb and 0-60 of 4.5 seconds and a price of £40000. Both models will get 7speed DSG gearboxs and Magnetic ride as standard.

The motor in the above photo is the TT-S, the body is standard TT with a deeper front spoiler, RS model are always pumped up and beefier with a wider track front and rear and bigger wheel archs. I know the grille is honeycomb which is normally only used by RS models, but the TT is a sports model and as such gets the S model look as standard so the only way to differ it from the normal TT is to change the grille, wheels, wing mirrors and the now standard quad tailpipes.

I know most of you will disagree with what I believe but only time will tell who is right.:argue:

RXBG
May 10th, 2006, 04:28
i am also an audi nut so we are audi brothers :incar:

what i can tell you now is that RS TT has been talked about in the hallways as has the RS8 and many other models....

but the truth is that they are not feasible for the time being.

audi is on fire. but it has to focus on the bread and butter. they are overwhelmed with production numbers and schedules.

qmbh is 110% busy with the R8 and the upcoming V10- which is planned to be N/A high revving NOT turboed. and the reason is that the costs were less and the bragging rights more for a high revving version of the RS4 engine but with two more cylinders vs an S8 engine with turbos. there just was no development time. the V10 is almost ready and will debut at almost the same time in both the RS6 and a variant of the R8. also, the RS6 V10 MUST be able to go into the R8, not in terms of dimensions but in terms of marketing (and to justify production costs), for that version of that car must not undercut the gallardo, which currently makes 520 hp (recently updated). a turbo V10 would develop in excess of 600 hp (an R8 with that engine would be as fast as the LM640!) and so a high-revving V10 would make a nice even 500 or so that NEXT year would fit into the R8 well because the gallardo shall either be replaced or pumped up to 550 horses or so.

DSG is (almost) ready for the torque parameters of the high revving V10 but not for those of a turbo V10 engine. yet.

it is possible that turbos will return to audi. but probably in a diesel engine. a very high power diesel that in the next A8 platform will make the new S65 look like a yugo. maybe a little late but better late than never!

Benman
May 10th, 2006, 05:41
Originally posted by RXBG
i am also an audi nut so we are audi brothers :incar:

audi is on fire. but it has to focus on the bread and butter. they are overwhelmed with production numbers and schedules.

qmbh is 110% busy with the R8 and the upcoming V10...

Don't forget the Audi Dork **looks above avantar** ;)

Amen to that! quattro is swampedand I'd be impressed if they could handle the demands of anything more than the RS 4 sedan/wagon/convertible and upcoming R8, RS 6 etc...

They got their work cut out for them!

Ben

Qisha
May 10th, 2006, 09:21
Dear Friends,

the Production of the R8 will start late this year. A "smallseries" Production Plant is already under Construction in Neckarsulm and should be finished within the next 3 month (prod costs 29 Mio. Euro). It it absolutely right that everything is more than hectic at the moment but the manpower will be filled to achieve all planed needs.

About Turbos, the next upcoming RS Car will mark the Top of Audis HP Range and this with a V10 Bi-Turbo Engine. Until the release the chance for DSG is still 50/50 but has high priority.

The first teaser for what to come is most likely shown at LeMans.

Leadfoot
May 10th, 2006, 10:53
I would say it's a sure thing the 7speed DSG gearbox well be an options on the R8 right from the beginning. I for one wouldn't be using the V10 in the R8, it makes the car to much like the Gallardo.

I think it and the RS6 should both be using a twin-turbo RS4 engine, this would match the power of a hi-reving V10 but give it more torque which would suit the role of a Sportscar/Grand Tourer and in doing so compare it more to be a rival for the 997/Turbo. We know the 7speed DSG can cope with 922ft/lb of torque, so all Audi have to do is down scale it and make it cheaper to produce.

They should also do the merc things and offer a limiter at 300kph and distance the R8 from the Gallardo.

clam
May 10th, 2006, 12:45
Like leadfoot I am also skeptical about the NA engine. Audi spend a lot of effort shifting the weight balance backwards. Would they just throw that away on their top model, by using the steel VR6 lump, instead of their own 2.0T.

In the R36 and R32 the weight balance does not suffer as much, b/c the car as a whole is heavier.

They will be using the 2.0T in the S3, and likewise the top version of the TT. Turbos are Audi, and VR6es are VW. They may contaminate each other from time to time, but not when it comes to the flagships.

tailpipe
May 10th, 2006, 17:59
Excellent post Leadfoot. Very good analysis.

R8 must surely come with DSG from the beginning. It would be very easy to use box from Bugatti Veyron. The more units VW buys, the cheaper the price. So why not put it in more models, inluding Lambos as well as R8?

Whether DSG for longitudinally-mounted engines is ready for R8, it will be here very soon in mainstream Audi models. My bet is that launch R8 WILL have it.

As for engine, i very much agree with with turbocharged 4.2 litre V8 FSI. You would get more power than RS4 and better fuel consumption as well as more torque. it also would be more reliable because power is generated at lower revs and thus it overheats less. Overheating is still a problem for NA engine of RS4 which is why actual production power output is below quoted figures. When a fix is found, it will be retro-fitted, I imagine, like BMW with E46 M3 engine.

Next RS6 definitely gets turbo V10.

Erik
May 10th, 2006, 18:05
Originally posted by tailpipe
It would be very easy to use box from Bugatti Veyron.

I doubt that. I heard it costs a fortune (someone said almost the price of an RS4, perhaps not correct but you catch the drift) , almost hand made in England.

Benman
May 10th, 2006, 18:07
Originally posted by Erik
I doubt that. I heard it costs a fortune (someone said almost the price of an RS4, perhaps not correct but you catch the drift) , almost hand made in England.

Yeah, thought I heard @ $50K USD. Then again, they could hand make em' in China for @ $12K USD. ;) :D

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
May 10th, 2006, 18:58
Originally posted by Benman
...Then again, they could hand make em' in China for @ $12K USD

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Good one!

Leadfoot
May 10th, 2006, 20:01
Originally posted by Erik

Erik,

When I said it's already there in the Bugatti Veyron, I didn't mean it will use that box. The over-engineering that has went in the this box is unbelieveable, easing the match of anything in F1, but we are not talking of the best/most expensive car in the world. The R8 will get a gearbox to cope with what torque it will produce, no more, no less, about half that of the Bugatti.

BMW and Merc started the use of 7 gears semi/full automatic and don't doubt that Audi will not offer the R8, it's flagship a 7 speed DSG, the gearbox which is one of the things Audi engineering are famous for. Every roadtester rate this the best gearbox design current on sale.

You have to remember this unit will not be a short production run series, it will be used in the R8, RS6, RS8 and RS5/4. The numbers are there to make it affordable.

Tailpipe to tell you the truth, I would really like Audi to put in a 3.6FSI twin-turbo or supercharger/turbo combo to show off it's skills in the new technology. This unit can also easily produce the goods and it would keep the weight nearer that of a 997 Turbo, it's main rival, regardless of Porsche's percentage share of the VW group. I believe Porsche are looking help to develop an engine for the next 998/999 the this new technology might suit it's needs.

Iceman
May 14th, 2006, 09:45
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Tailpipe to tell you the truth, I would really like Audi to put in a 3.6FSI twin-turbo or supercharger/turbo combo to show off it's skills in the new technology.
Audi will not use the "Twincharger" technology in the near future it will be exclusive for VW.
But there are rumours of a future Passat R36 Twincharger with 400 hp.
My hope is still on a 2.6 litre inline 5 cylinder FSI K04 turbo engine with 340-360 hp.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 14th, 2006, 14:36
Originally posted by Iceman
Audi will not use the "Twincharger" technology in the near future it will be exclusive for VW.
But there are rumours of a future Passat R36 Twincharger with 400 hp.
My hope is still on a 2.6 litre inline 5 cylinder FSI K04 turbo engine with 340-360 hp.

Hans.

Technology is this good and playing such an important role in performance and economy, surely all the top brands in the group should get access to it. When DSG was developed by Audi the same was said, but we all know that wasn't the case. Haldex was first used by Audi TT and shortly afterwards all of the brands in the group use it.

I do agree that a 2.6 litre inline 5 cylinder FSI K04 turbo engine with 340-360 hp would be great. The sound the old quattro made in the rally days was so much part of Audi back then and we all would like to hear that sound again in a high performance Audi.

Iceman
May 20th, 2006, 09:38
Technology is this good and playing such an important role in performance and economy.....
I do agree that a 2.6 litre inline 5 cylinder FSI K04 turbo engine with 340-360 hp would be great.
The only pro for Twincharger technology is to have power by low revs in combination with fuel economy.
If Audi come with a 2.6 litre 5 cylinder inline engine with FSI and a VTG turbo they not need the Twincharger technology.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 20th, 2006, 10:40
Originally posted by Iceman
The only pro for Twincharger technology is to have power by low revs in combination with fuel economy.
If Audi come with a 2.6 litre 5 cylinder inline engine with FSI and a VTG turbo they not need the Twincharger technology.

Hans.

But what is the chance of Audi bring out this engine in the TT in the near future? I take it VTG turbo is the same turbo technology used in the 997 Turbo?

Anyway I believe power with economy would be a very good saling point. All reports say the engine is a peach and feels alot like the 2.3L V5 in the old model. If they use this technology with the 2.0L FSI engine from the TT it would feel like the 3.6L VR6 but with the normal engines economy. And the added advantage of the weight saving not only total weight but off the front there it would benefit the most. I think it would be a win win situation.

Iceman
May 20th, 2006, 12:06
A 2.6 litre FSI 5 cylinder VTG Turbo will look something like this.
Quick simple layout.

http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/audi_2.6_fsi_vtg_899.jpg

Hans.

Qisha
May 20th, 2006, 13:45
Dear Friends,

the VTG Tech will not be seen within any Audi before 2008. But from this time it is planed to be one of the Basic Sport Engines. Like the 2.0 TFSI at the moment.

Leadfoot
May 20th, 2006, 15:36
Iceman,

:confused: Call me thick, but that to me justs looks like any diagram for the turbo engine.

P.S.

:nono:If you do call me think, I'll make a voodoo doll of your Audi and stick pins in it's tyres.

Only joking.:thumb:

Leadfoot
May 20th, 2006, 15:40
Originally posted by Qisha
Dear Friends,

the VTG Tech will not be seen within any Audi before 2008. But from this time it is planed to be one of the Basic Sport Engines. Like the 2.0 TFSI at the moment.

Qisha,

Well what do think will be the engine in the up and coming TT-S?. The new S3 engine in standard tune or a slightly tuned to kick out 280-300ps or the 3.6L VR6 that is going into the R36 next year?

Qisha
May 20th, 2006, 15:50
Dear Leadfoot,

the next Engine Stage within the TT will be a 2.0 TFSI with 272HP.
The top Engine Set-up is not for sure at the moment.

Leadfoot
May 20th, 2006, 17:46
Dear Leadfoot,

I take it, it's come early next year.

Iceman
May 21st, 2006, 04:06
I take it, it's come early next year.
Geneve 2007 i recon.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 21st, 2006, 12:57
Dear Leadfoot,

Unless the top engine set-up is turbo based. This in my opinion will be the best engine set-up to go for. This one should be easily tuned to 310ps just by a chip and even 350ps should have total reliability. This will be the one I will be going for, chipped of course.

I just hope that Geneve is when it's going to be shown and put on sale from that date.