Audi TT RS 3.6 Quattro 300+ hp.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7153/tt0ll.jpg

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 6th, 2006, 21:07
Iceman, tell me it's going to be out sometime next year.:love:

RXBG
May 6th, 2006, 22:03
i do not suspect there will be an RS version of this gen TT. that is probably the S version with 302 hp that is all but confirmed.

quattro gmbh has its hands full with the R8 and next RS6 and with its "input" on the new S5 and new S4 (B8). the S6 and S8 are already delayed. AND they are supposedly going to have input on the S version of the Q7!

Iceman
May 6th, 2006, 23:48
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Iceman, tell me it's going to be out sometime next year.:love:
No, it's planned for 2008/2009.

Hans.

Iceman
May 6th, 2006, 23:54
Originally posted by RXBG
quattro gmbh has its hands full with the R8 and next RS6 and with its "input" on the new S5 and new S4 (B8). the S6 and S8 are already delayed. AND they are supposedly going to have input on the S version of the Q7!
Audi S models are normal production cars Quattro GmbH have nothing to do with them.
Also the new R8 will not be built by Quattro GmbH but in Neckarsulm.

Hans.

eazy
May 7th, 2006, 10:51
Originally posted by Iceman
Audi S models are normal production cars Quattro GmbH have nothing to do with them.
Also the new R8 will not be built by Quattro GmbH but in Neckarsulm.

Hans.
I've read that quattro gmbh invests about 28 million euros to upgrade their buildings. So who builds now the R8, quattro gmbh or audi?

Here are the news (in german):
http://www.netzeitung.de/autoundtechnik/396455.html

Iceman
May 7th, 2006, 11:16
Ok my mistake Quattro GmbH will build the R8.
Neckarsulm is the place where the former Audi A2 was build.
I did not know Quattro GmbH was going to use it for the production of the R8.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 7th, 2006, 12:06
Iceman,

Sorry to take sides but I think RXBG is right. I think the S model will be the one the 300bhp, but I reckon it will be a version of the new S3 engine with a chip upgrade. As for the debate if or when will a RS model appear, everyone keeps telling me Audi only bring out RS versions of they cars near the end of the cycle. This would mean 2011 for the TT.

I think the wind of change are at Audi and the performance luxury car market is hotting up with the added new players eg. Lexus etc. So with BMW and Merc bring out they performance models quicker, Audi will have to do the same if they want to retain their market share. These are the ones which grab the headlines and that's what boost sale for the rest of the model range.

Look at the M3 through the years, with it's success the rest of the range have done well and now the 3 series out sales the Ford Mondeo in the UK.

The Z Coupe/Roadster, Boxster/Cayman, Z350 are all rivals to the TT and all have more powerful models then Audi, so I reckon late 2007 or early 2008 at the latest for the TT-S and a year later for the RS which will be a Twin-turbo version of the 3.6FSI engine and with the M coupe having 343ps, you would have to be betting on the best part of 375ps for it.

I look forward to the replys.

Iceman
May 7th, 2006, 12:17
The TT RS is a personal project of Audi chef Dr.Martin Winterkorn.
The Audi TT with S3 engine will be the TTS/QS with 265 hp.
The rumour is that the S and QS is one and the same car without rear seats and Recaro race seats.
The TT RS will have so the plan right now a non turbo 3.6 VR6 with well over 300+ hp (330 hp).
But i try to convince Dr.Martin Winterkorn to develop and use a ±350 hp 2.6 litre 5cilinder FSI k04 turbo engine. :D

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 7th, 2006, 13:07
The TT RS is a personal project of Audi chef Dr.Martin Winterkorn.
The Audi TT with S3 engine will be the TTS/QS with 265 hp.
The rumour is that the S and QS is one and the same car without rear seats and Recaro race seats.
The TT RS will have so the plan right now a non turbo 3.6 VR6 with well over 300+ hp (330 hp).
But i try to convince Dr.Martin Winterkorn to develop and use a ±350 hp 2.6 litre 5cilinder FSI k04 turbo engine. :D

Hans.

If you have Dr.Winterkorn ear, bend it a little for me and get him to bring the RS out earlier, like next year.:deal::thumb:

330hp if that's what will be is still less than a Z M coupe. That would make it the first RS model in which an BMW M rival was more powerful.:cry:

This 2.6L engine is it a V5 turbo unit, man what would it not produce if it was tuned.

I think the new 2.0L FSI bi-charged unit earmarked for the new Golf GTI would be better. You could easily get it to produce 350ps and it would be alot lighter than a 3.6L V6 helping the handling and weight balance.

For me the TT-QS with 265bhp would do for now. You could go through each chip tune upgrade and it would feel like a new car each time. I don't think it will lose the rear seats, 265bhp is not enought to make it a hardcore model. It would be a joke with the rest of it's rivals. Also I like the look of the new seat in the standard car.

RXBG
May 7th, 2006, 13:35
i respectfully disagree, iceman. i have it from a 100% reliable source or two that that is the case. it appears it will be from a high torque yet barely heavier 3.6L V6 (than 3.2L).

many years in the future RS models will be built sooner in the prod cycle but for now quattro is still growing. and yes, the R8 WILL be built in neckersaulm by quattro. (yet another reason they are so busy is the R and D of the V10 version of the R8.

they are also the ones working on the gallardo replacement engine that will allow it to become more powerful so they can sell a V10 powered R8.

Iceman
May 7th, 2006, 13:46
i respectfully disagree, iceman. i have it from a 100% reliable source or two that that is the case. it appears it will be from a high torque yet barely heavier 3.6L V6 (than 3.2L).
Only if that source is Ingolstadt - Germany based it can be reliable. ;)

Hans.

RXBG
May 7th, 2006, 14:31
but not having an RS TT is not too bad. the current 3.2 DSG has been said to be running the ring very close to the RS4's time. and about 25 seconds faster than the outgoing 3.2 DSG car. the magnetic ride system seems to be amazing...

i can imagine the 3.6 will be as quick (but not as fast) as the RS4. at an estimated fully loaded price (US 60K) the S version would leave room for an RS version and still slot below the R8 but not happening :(

Leadfoot
May 7th, 2006, 15:46
but not having an RS TT is not too bad. the current 3.2 DSG has been said to be running the ring very close to the RS4's time. and about 25 seconds faster than the outgoing 3.2 DSG car. the magnetic ride system seems to be amazing...

i can imagine the 3.6 will be as quick (but not as fast) as the RS4. at an estimated fully loaded price (US 60K) the S version would leave room for an RS version and still slot below the R8 but not happening :(

Two things spring the mind from both your quotes and those from Iceman, that the TT is a lot much than a stylish coupe and a car which is a real rival to the likes of the cayman in more than looks. I also take it that the 3.2L and the 2.0T FSI are the only model current testing on the ring.

You talk about 25secs faster than before, but what was the old car's time? The way you are talking the new one is doing the ring in about 8.05 or 8.10, that would be great if true but some how I doubt it's that quick.

Very few outside of the R and D team have driven the cars. But I was also told that the new magnetic ride was unbelieveable and the system is better than the one used in the RS4. Think about it, if it is only 10 or so seconds slower than the RS4 that would mean on most of the twisty stuff it's exactly quicker than the RS4, because there would be no way it would have the grunt to match it down the long straights, unbelieveable.:bow:

Iceman
May 7th, 2006, 16:29
The new TT 3.2 Quattro is not that fast on the ring like you think.
It's time was 8:15 min's and that is ±20 sec's faster than the olt TT QS 240 hp.
Also don't forget the new TT is much lighter 1410 kg for 6 speed manual and 1430 kg for the S-Tronic (DSG) than de old 3.2 one.
A 300+ hp 3.6 liter VR6 TT Quattro with magnetic ride can get close to 8:00 min's.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 7th, 2006, 20:31
Iceman,

Even if you are right, 8:15 is a very good time. At 5secs fast an the current M3 which has 95bhp more and has spent more time on the ring during test anything without a Porsche badge.

Benman
May 8th, 2006, 16:17
Iceman,

Even if you are right, 8:15 is a very good time. At 5secs fast an the current M3 which has 95bhp more and has spent more time on the ring during test anything without a Porsche badge.

No kidding! 8:15?!? That's RS 6 and old M5 beating times!!!:bigeyes:

And for the R8 quattro GmbH story: http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_2213.shtml

Ben:addict:

IulianUM
May 8th, 2006, 20:07
Is like the little brother of the R8 , I like it. :0:

Iceman you know all about Audi .:idea:

Leadfoot
May 9th, 2006, 17:25
Iceman,

I was just checking and if you are right 8:15 is the same time as the current Boxster S. Now it has 30bhp more and is the best part of 100kgs lighter. Now anyone who has driven the boxster will know it's a better handling car than a 997, so this a no small praise for what Audi has done with the new TT.

Boy I can't wait for the TT-QS, TT-S or TT-RS what ever they're calling it.

Also just out of interest, on another forum someone was quoting that the weight balance of the new TT 58/42% is for the FWD 2.0T FSI and not the Quattro which is believed to by 55/45%, I don't know how switched on the guy is but it interesting all the same. I for one would have thought that Audi would have use it's best result as the headline grabber.

audirs6.ch
May 10th, 2006, 10:43
Here's a better pic:

http://www.niceaudis.ch/news/tt_rs/tt_rs.jpg

Leadfoot
May 10th, 2006, 11:32
Does anyone know that the colour is?

I think it's bitchin'.

Benman
May 10th, 2006, 16:48
Originally posted by audirs6.ch
Here's a better pic:

http://www.niceaudis.ch/news/tt_rs/tt_rs.jpg

:0: I like it. :0:

Iceman
May 10th, 2006, 18:42
Does anyone know that the colour is?

I think it's bitchin'.
Deep Sea Green, Pearl Effect.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 10th, 2006, 19:21
Iceman,

It's been that long we thought you were dead.

Deep Sea Green is not a standard option in the UK, but a special order colour at wait for it £1600.:MTM:

It was you're post, but I was wondering do you think this is a picture of the TT-RS or the up and coming TT-S. I reckon the latter because of the fact RS models normal have a wider track front and rear and bigger wheel arch and sills, this one look to normal. The silver wing mirrors only tell us it a S model or above, also I think the TT-S might use the honeycomb grille of the RS because the standard TT is getting the S grille as standard. If only there was a shot of the rear the oval or quad pipes would have let us know for sure.

gabbby
May 10th, 2006, 20:14
Leadfoot,

This TT is wider than the standard one (like the shooting brake version - the wheels are the shooting brake ones too).

Gaby

Leadfoot
May 11th, 2006, 08:31
Originally posted by gabbby
Leadfoot,

This TT is wider than the standard one (like the shooting brake version - the wheels are the shooting brake ones too).

Gaby

Yes, when you look at them side by side there is a small difference.:0:

clam
May 11th, 2006, 13:32
The PS was inspired by Caractere body kits. So if Audi doesn't go this route, they will probably have it on offer.

http://www.caractere-automobile.com/

Leadfoot
May 11th, 2006, 19:28
I like the look of the RS4 cab, but I don't see the point in a high performance opentop saloon, yes when it's a sportscar a two seater, but not a family car. I reckon it's because in Northern Ireland it rains half the year and the other half it pi*ses down.

Talking about opentops, has anyone seen photo shots of the TT Roadster yet. I hope with an alloy body the Roadster will handling every bit as well as the Coupe.

clam
May 12th, 2006, 08:31
The previous TT Cabrio was just as stiff, and not much heavier than the Coupé. Audi said this was b/c it was designed as a Cabrio from the start, alongside the coupé, instead of being a roofless reinforced modification of the coupé chassis. The roadster was caught testing with the coupé, so there's no reason to think Audi hasn't gone this route again.

The A4 picture is a Caractere bodykit, not an actual RS4. Notice the mirrors are black. It shows how good their work is, that they got an Audi buff fooled. Their TT kit will probably resemble the photoshop.

clam
May 12th, 2006, 08:39
http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos/6060123.001/6060123.001.mini10L.jpg

spy pics of the roadster (http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6060123.001/country/audi/audi/new-audi-tt-coupe-and-roadster-spy-pics)

Leadfoot
May 12th, 2006, 19:05
[QUOTE]Originally posted by clam
[B]The previous TT Cabrio was just as stiff, and not much heavier than the Coupé. Audi said this was b/c it was designed as a Cabrio from the start, alongside the coupé, instead of being a roofless reinforced modification of the coupé chassis. The roadster was caught testing with the coupé, so there's no reason to think Audi hasn't gone this route again.

Clam,

I disagree, my last car was a TT 225 Coupe and when it was once in for a service the loan car from the dealer was a TT roadster. Straight away I noticed the flex in the body from the steering wheel and no way would I be happy living with this. Being on smooth roads like Germany or the States, but on the roads around me the Roadster would be a no go for me.

Leadfoot
May 12th, 2006, 22:05
The new TT 3.2 Quattro is not that fast on the ring like you think.
It's time was 8:15 min's and that is ±20 sec's faster than the olt TT QS 240 hp.
Also don't forget the new TT is much lighter 1410 kg for 6 speed manual and 1430 kg for the S-Tronic (DSG) than de old 3.2 one.
A 300+ hp 3.6 liter VR6 TT Quattro with magnetic ride can get close to 8:00 min's.

Hans.

Iceman,

After seeing the time set by the RS4, are you still sure that the new TT 3.2L DSG with Magnetic ride will post a time of 8:15. As for me, well now I'am not so sure.

Iceman
May 12th, 2006, 22:31
Iceman,

After seeing the time set by the RS4, are you still sure that the new TT 3.2L DSG with Magnetic ride will post a time of 8:15. As for me, well now I'am not so sure.
8:09 is a disappointing time for the 420 hp RS4 IMHO.
Futher i'm not sure if it was the 3.2 that did the 8:15 time.
I think it is more likely that it was a lighter 2.0 litre FSI K04 turbo Quattro TT with 265 hp, but i'm not sure.
And do not forget the wheight of a RS4 is 1690 kg or something.

Hans.

Leadfoot
May 12th, 2006, 23:47
Iceman,

It wasn't a dig at you. I also thought that 8:15 would have been the right time for the new TT when you take into account the fact that it's a new light weight chassis and based on the R32 which is a great handling car in it's own right.

The ring is a very demanding track and seems to suit lighter car like Porsches. Remember the M3 CSL did it in 7:50 something and it weight is the best part of 200Kgs lighter.

I don't think people rate the Haldex system enough when comparing it against the quattro, but in alot of ways it's better. I don't know what the weight balance of the RS4 is, but I bet you it isn't as good as the new TT.

I still can't understand how it's that much slower than Audi were quoting at the start?

One thing for sure, I bet Joe Average would get closer to the RS4's time in it than they would in a M6.

clam
May 15th, 2006, 09:33
The RS4 is handicapped by weight and weight balance. The TT has adressed both.

Around the Top Gear track, the mk5 R32 was 0.5s faster than the S4. Missing some power, but lighter and with a better weight balance. The Haldex clutch may offer inferior re-active traction, instead of the active torque distribution of the torsen diff, but the Haldex clutch puts about 100kg on the back of the car. While the torsen diff is all up front, and forces the engine over the front wheels (untill the B8 platform).
The TT adds a custom suspension, aerodynamic aids, even less weight, and an even better weight distribution to the equation.

I think the new TT will surprize a lot of people. The R32 already kicked the 130i's ass. They use TT and Z4 hardware, respectively. Knowing the TT is 100kg lighter, and the "4door Z4" was already beated by the R32, the new TT will no longer be just a pretty face.
To understand what a big deal the weight saving is: the M3 CSL was 110kg lighter than the regular M3, and cost €30k more. And a big part of the savings came from eliminating equipment. The TT does it without compromising price or comfort. If Audi lauches another sport version (the last TT sport saved 75kg), then it's all over.

Leadfoot: The stiffness of the Cabrio was something I read in an Audi press release. I guess it didn't deliver.

Leadfoot
May 15th, 2006, 14:17
Clam,

I didn't know that the CSL was a whole 110kg lighter than a standard M3, I thought it was around 100lbs, this does explain why it so much faster around the ring.

I know the Haldex system is electronic, I thought the active torsen diff in the quattros was oil based and this would make them slower to react. I know there is a world of difference between the Mk4 and Mk5 Golfs, but making up the best part of 3 seconds around the TopGear track is amazing when you concider it really just an up to date version of the same basic layout.

The new TT though following the same layout is a total re-think to improve what is in the Mk5 R32 an already great handling car. The use of alloy in the construction will change the way the steering will feel, how the car balances on the throttle and also how the Haldex will perform due to the fact that the weight has shifted more to the rear and the inclusion of magnetic ride suspension in it ability to stop roll. My only hope is it will have more throttle control than any of the other Audi to date. And by that I don't mean tail out drifting around the corner.

I reckon that when the new TT is tested around the TopGear track it will destroy the time posted by the Mk5 R32 and here's guessing 2-3 seconds quicker.

clam
May 15th, 2006, 20:19
The torsen (torque sensing) diff is a fully mechanical system that works just like the differential that you have between twee wheels on an axle. So just like a regular axle diff, it changes distribution based on resistance, so the wheels can have different speeds through a corner.
When the front wheels are turned, they experience more force than the rear wheels. Without a differential function, they would get as much power as the rear wheels, even though they have to deal with more forces. Which means the front tyres will always have more slip, resulting in major understeer. That was a problem all 4x4s had, and why you only found it on farm equipment and militairy vehicles, before Audi decided to put a differential in the middle.
So that's basically what the quattro drivetrain does. Make sure the forces on the tyres are evenly distributed, so slip never occurs.

It has a "limited slip" function, b/c in some circumstances the differential function is giving the wrong wheel most of the power. The differential gives the wheel with the least restance the most power. To even out the forces on the tyres through a corner. But if, for instance, one wheel hits a puddle of water. Suddenly it has less resistance, so it'll get more power. The more power it gets, the more it will slip, and soon you'll have one wheel spinning with all the power, and the other doing nothing. So the differential function has to be limited, so one wheel can never get 100% of the power. It can be limited to 75% for instance.

The "problem" with Haldex is that, while torsen is preventing slip by reacting to the resistance of tyres, the Haldex clutch can only react to the slip after it has occured. It doesn't evenly distribute the forces over the wheels. Only when a change in axle speed is picked up by the sensors, does it react. But by then the tyres have already lost a little traction.

However, that small amount of traction loss is not a big problem if the software is properly programmed. And they do say it acts quiker than torsen, which has mechanical inertia. On the other hand, torsen doesn't have to react quikly, b/c it's preventing slip in the first place.

We've seen MK4 Golf R32 BiTurbos handle the kind power that some supercars only dream of, and don't seem too bothered by the "problem" of Haldex.

Leadfoot
May 15th, 2006, 22:03
My current car is a S4v8 and the last car was a TT 225. One thing I have noticed between the two especially in the wet, was that both will understeer if you to quick into the corner. The difference occures when you control the speed you enter to keep the nose in check and then powered through the corner.

The S4 will four wheel drift through the corner the quickest way possible. The surprise is the TT which would produce a little oversteer before turning to a four wheel drift. Also the TT would from a standstill with full lock produce oversteer when the throttle is floored, something the S4 will find harder to do. This might be the fact that it can sented more power to the rear wheels, but the effect is more throttle control.

Some people will disagree, I can only say what I see.

If the press talk is right and the new Haldex system reacts quicker than before when senting power to the rear wheels, I think it might be a rival to the RS4 for enjoyment and might even show it a thing or two around a twisty track/road.

clam
May 16th, 2006, 01:21
The oversteer on the TT is the Haldex kicking in. When you turn in, the front will understeer a little, and when the haldex picks this up, it will send power to the rear. This power is taken from the front. So at the time that the front is gaining grip (b/c it suddenly has less work to do), the rear is losing grip (b/c it suddenly has to accelerate). When the front has more grip than the rear, you get oversteer.
If you do this under acceleration, you can make the rear snap on a MKIV R32.

Indeed, Haldex achieves a form of throttle controle with this feature. Up to a point, the more power it gets, the more the car oversteers. Like RWD. But it's also dependent on the angle of the corner, which will also set off the sensors of the Haldex unit. The sharper the corner, the more throttle controle you'll get. That's why a full lock will make the rear snap more easily.

With enough investment in the software, the Haldex can be made to behave like a RWD. Though it will probably have some quirky behaviour in unfamiliar circumstances.

Quattro doesn't have the feature, b/c it is always making sure the forces on the tyres are the same. If you apply the throttle, it'll just distribute the power between the front and the rear, untill the forces are even again. But when you want throttle controle, you need a force bias towards the rear.
Try lifting off the throttle at the moment you make the turn. This will shift the weight to the front, giving it more grip, and the torsen diff will not pick up on this. If you then put your foot down, the front will have more grip than the rear, and you'll have oversteer. But it's not throttle controle. In fact, you'll have very little controle over anything, once you've broken a quattro loose.

The 60:40 new torsen is different though.

Leadfoot
May 16th, 2006, 08:10
Yes, I know about lift off oversteer. A have done a little rallying but it wasn't in quattros. This is easily done on gravel, but it a bit to dangerous on the road because of the speeds involved.

My point was that the TT can be more entertaining with Haldex than quattro and I reckon the new one will be a lot more entertaining than the current RS4.

Leadfoot
May 16th, 2006, 17:10
Has anyone heard reports on the Magnetic Ride Suspension? I know the talk is it's the dog's balls. But has anyone spoke to someone in Audi to hear the real story?

clam
May 17th, 2006, 10:33
I didn't mean to sound condescending. I just like analysing stuff to test my own understanding of the technology.

http://www.sae.org/automag/techbriefs/10-2001/
http://www.delphi.com/pdf/ppd/chsteer/magneride.pdf

Delphi used to be part of GM, and so the Corvette C6 and 2002 Cadillac Seville STS have already adopted the technology. Ferrari is also on board with the new 599GTB Fiorano. Though the Z06 does not use it.

It seems to work well on the ... euh ... 'classic' suspension configuration of the Corvette. The Corvette uses only two sensor inputs, G-force and steering angle. It should be interesting what the system can do in a truly independent suspension, in colaboration Haldex, that is also a variable technology that relies on sensor input.

edmunds review of the Ferrari Fiorano (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=114909)

Italian roads
Next to the smooth, well-maintained autostrade, Italian roads are notoriously inconsistent. Our drive route took us up the historic 2,400-foot hill climb from Fornovo di Taro to Berceto. It was here, in 1919, that Enzo Ferrari entered his first race, the "Parma Poggio di Berceto Hill Climb," and earned 12th place overall and 3rd in class — years before he built his own car. Tight, bumpy unguarded switchbacks are set apart by several long sweepers where the 599 GTB could exploit its engine and semiactive suspension, a Ferrari production car first. Co-developed with Delphi, the magnetorheological dampers are similar to those used on some Corvettes; however, the software that controls them is unique to Ferrari, which owns the specific programming for two years.

In lay terms, the dampers contain a fluid which can change viscosity (from more watery to more syrupy) in the presence of an electric current, rather than relying on the single viscosity of oil. Four sensors mounted to each suspension control arm report individual wheel movements, which are processed in one millisecond (0.001 second). In turn, the processor sends an electronic charge to the dampers, which react in 10 milliseconds, or about four times quicker than a traditional oil-filled shock absorber. Compared to the traditional suspension in the 575M, Ferrari says the average variation in vertical wheel movements on undulating roads (or caused by hitting a pothole) is decreased by 30 percent, while the vertical acceleration felt by the driver through the steering wheel or seat bottom is reduced by 10 percent.

In other words, the car reads the road and reacts with an appropriate amount of damping to reduce harshness. And it works. We've driven this same stretch of road in both a 575M and an F430 and we would've guessed (incorrectly) that the route had been repaved.

Track suited
Of course, there are other benefits from the new suspension that can be observed on the racetrack. The Fiorano circuit is a demanding 1.9-mile, 15-turn course used by Ferrari to test both racecars and production cars alike. Yes, one M. Schumacher holds the lap record. Each section of track has a purpose. For example, one area checks the drivability of the engine out of a corner, while another measures the ability of a car to turn while under braking; yet another shows how well a car soaks up undulations while at maximum lateral G-forces.

The new suspension on the 599 GTB Fiorano is almost too good in this dynamic laboratory. The car remains so flat while cornering and so connected to the surface that all the usual indicators (body roll, tire squeal, sliding) of a car "being out of shape" are virtually erased. We found the only method to determine the traction envelope was by gauging neck muscle strain under braking and cornering.

Leadfoot
May 17th, 2006, 13:33
Clam,

I take it from that it's the doy's bits and money well spent.

clam
May 18th, 2006, 10:30
Yup.

Lotus once developed a fully active suspension, that used hydrolics to lift the wheels instead of a spring system. When a car would encounter a bump, a sensor would notice this, and the wheel would be lifted bit by bit, untill the bump was over. In a corner it would stay perfectly flat. It would even be able to lead into a corner like a motorcycle.

They ran it in F1, but had trouble in the beginning b/c the suspension was so smooth, the tyres, made for a traditional suspension, were never able to warm up properly. Ayrton Senna did win three races with it. And other racing teams had success with it. It was also adopted by DTM. The FIA eventually banned it.
Lotus has a couple of roadcars with the technology, but it probably demanded too much energy.

This system seems to be the more practical version of the fully active suspension. Still using a spring (free energy) to move the wheels. The "problem" with a traditional suspension is that the spring works both ways. It moves the wheels, which is a good thing, but it also moves the chassis, which is a bad thing. The variable damper is able to put 'a damper' on the chassis movement, but free the wheel movement. So it bypasses the compromise that a traditional suspension has to make.

article on the Lotus fully active suspension (http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/suspension/tech_suspension3.htm#Lotus)

But I think another technology, that also solves a compromise, will make variable damping obsolete. The tweel is an airless tyre being developed by Michelin.

A traditional tyre is a compromise too. If the sidewall it too stiff, it can't absorb, and the contact patch will deform. If it is too weak, it can't counter lateral G-force, and again passes it on to the contact patch. A compromise has to be made between absorbing vertical forces, and resisting horizontal forces.
Aside from other advantages (no blowouts), the tweel eliminates the compromise by breaking the air pressure connection between the vertical and the horizontal. Each can now do their job independent from the other, and thus uncompromised.
It means you can make the suspension ass stiff as a racecar, and the tweel itself will absorb the bumps. It can do this without compromising the contact patch. It can also counter lateral G-forces, without compromise.

If the tweel allows you to set the suspension as hard as possible, while taking the duty of absorbing schocks from the suspension, variable damping will no longer be needed.

youtube.com clip of the tweel (1min 49s) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=mzPmLUta-_M&search=tweel)

Leadfoot
May 21st, 2006, 22:56
Auto Express this week state from an inside source that the up and coming TT-RS will be released near the end of 2007 and will be powered by the new R36 engine tuned to produce 350hp. They say that it will down the steel doors and tailgate for alloy to deduce to weight. Estimated price £40K:bigeyes:

polanski
June 8th, 2006, 11:37
thats alot ! 350 bhp isnt that much .. what about torque?

Benman
June 8th, 2006, 18:40
Originally posted by polanski
350 bhp isnt that much .. what about torque?

Its a better power to weight ratio than the MkI RS 6 (4150lbs, 450hp; 3150lbs,350hp), so it will be plenty fast!