PDA

View Full Version : Advice on RS4 Purchase.

t urbo
April 30th, 2006, 21:01
Hi im new to the forum and could do with a little help.

I currently have a modded 996 turbo but with three children its absolutely useless. I want to swap it for an RS4 but am sure i wont be able to live without the performance. Are there any companies supplying quality engine upgrades for the RS4?

I think the RS4 will be an excellent car for my needs, just know im gunna miss the power.

How does the RS4 compare to a std 996 turbo?

Thanks in advance.

sparkhill
April 30th, 2006, 21:33
From a performance standpoint the RS4 does not compare to the 996TT X50. The RS4 does have obvious advantages though.

Keep in mind that engine modifications to the RS4 will void your engine warranty. Personally, with the unproven engine in the RS4, I would not touch it.

If you need room and performance, you might consider picking up a RS6 (around $60K) and chipping the engine and transmission. You will avoid the warranty issues since the RS6 is an '03 model and out of warranty. With the RS6, you will have a decent sized sedan with well over 500 HP and ridiculous torque, albeit a bit older of a car. If you don't need AWD and can stand the hideous sheet metal, the M5 is quite a car.

Vegasguy
April 30th, 2006, 22:56
This is my exact dilema, I have a 97 and it's constantly sitting in the garage because I am hauling kids.

I spent 10 days driving my dads 745i and found that while I might miss my car once in awhile I sure liked having a powerfull sedan. Unless your the type of person like me that actually takes their car to the track I don't think it's going to be an issue.

At least thats what I am hoping.. :0:

Mine is going to turn into an RS6 or an S6, still trying to decide. The depreciation on the RS4 just scares me.

Pete

Bauer
May 1st, 2006, 06:56
I can't release too much information, but there is currently a program in the works for some heavy modification for the B6/B7 S4 by a very, very well known engine builder / tuner.

I also, know MTM is building a supercharger kit for the B7 RS4 but I would bet it will be a while before they release it and the cost will be extremely high.

Sorry this is really not detailed, but I cannot say anthing until there is an offical press release.

AndyBG
May 1st, 2006, 13:43
Go for MTM, they will ''transform'' it for you on a very high level.

t urbo
May 1st, 2006, 18:29
Thanks for the info guys.

What sort of depreciation am i looking at if i keep the car 3 years?

Audihead
May 1st, 2006, 18:53
Originally posted by t urbo

Parking Lot Dep. = @$2,500
Monthly= @ $450 - $500

sparkhill
May 1st, 2006, 22:31

For the RS4, my guess is a 35-40% three year depreciation, probably closer to 40%. If you modify the car and void the warranty, the depreciation may be even greater. Any mod you add will depreciate at 50-75% depending on what it is.

Benman
May 1st, 2006, 23:10

Also, big time depends where you live. In So Cal (expensive car city), the RS 6 has depreciated only @ 30% or less compared to other places around the country.

Ben:addict:

Bingocaller
May 2nd, 2006, 02:06
Cayenne turbo + some mods ?

I know its not a "M3 handling car" but with kids etc. it would be my bet

t urbo
May 2nd, 2006, 06:09
Originally posted by sparkhill
For the RS4, my guess is a 35-40% three year depreciation, probably closer to 40%. If you modify the car and void the warranty, the depreciation may be even greater. Any mod you add will depreciate at 50-75% depending on what it is.
Im in the UK.

I was thinking it would lose more like 50% over three years.
If its loss is less then i'd say it was a pretty good buy.

My 996tt will only retain 50% after three years.

The Uk on the road price is £50,000 without any extras.

t urbo
May 2nd, 2006, 06:12
Originally posted by Bingocaller
Cayenne turbo + some mods ?

I know its not a "M3 handling car" but with kids etc. it would be my bet

Way too big for me bingocaller.

I think i will have to go for the RS4. :wo: