PDA

View Full Version : Only automatic sucks?

Snow
March 16th, 2003, 16:21
I think and I have always thought that a car that is somewhat sporty should have a manual transmission. The RS6 is what would call a bit "sporty" :D but it's only available with a automatic transmission. Why? Don't you RS6 owners want a manual one? Imaging a Porsche with that gearbox...:confused:

jconley
March 16th, 2003, 18:52
I think you will find that most people here would like to see the RS6 offered in a manual, however Audi has chosen not to, and I would expect it is for a variety of reasons, including production costs of developing a manual for this car, the subtleness an automatic afford a car like this, and market research shows most people that want a car like this want an auto- The people on this board are true enthusiasts, and only represent a small portion of the buying public.

scoop
March 16th, 2003, 19:56
I love the automatic gearbox of mine and I still consider myself being an enthusiast. Just my $0.02

s6plus
March 17th, 2003, 10:14
Last saturday I drove a rs6 ...and to all the people with a classic automatic"fear"/ like me......I can tell you the following.

This is not normal, this "automatic" is beyond your imagination...

O yeah I liked it...the rpm donīt fall down, it just pulls and pulls

this car was fitted with the sportexhaust....thatīs a pre for this car...

WHAT A SOUND:bang: :bang: it sounded like a whole group of ducatiīs or harleyīs

:incar: It was the drive of my life...
unfortunately, Iīdont got the $$$ right now for it..but the rs4 isnīt a option anymore. I Will straight go to the rs6:D

greetings

Andreas.ka
March 17th, 2003, 10:18
I have driven both the M5 and the RS6. If I should choose between these two, I would take the M5 because I dont want automatic in a fast car.
But both cars are execellent..:bunny2:

Benman
March 18th, 2003, 15:19
Originally posted by Snow
I think and I have always thought that a car that is somewhat sporty should have a manual transmission. The RS6 is what would call a bit "sporty" :D but it's only available with a automatic transmission. Why? Don't you RS6 owners want a manual one? Imaging a Porsche with that gearbox...:confused:

i completely understand how you feel. unfortunately that is the
way times are heading. take porsche. even 911 TURBO's have
available automatics. heck, even FERRARI's have automatic
trans available. yes, iknow these are paddle shifting trans,
clutchless manuals or whatever else you want to call them but
they are NOT a stick shift. and as time progresses you will see
even more of these "manuals" offered (even the new M5 is
rumored to have a SMG trans and NOT a stick shift).

but i definately don't think not having a manual makes you less
of an enthusiast. just look at formula 1. those guy's are definately
not any less skilled just because they don't drive a stick:cheers:

:addict:
BIG RS6 NUT

Snow
March 18th, 2003, 15:40
Well, it's not that much that i wouldn't feel like an enthusiast. It's more the feeling of being a bit in-active when you drive. It's a part of the charm of a sports car as well as you mentioned, the skill of a driver, at I think (even though Schumi is a driver daemon :devil: )
Of course, if you have a job where you find yourself circleing around in the city a couple of hours each day, I definitly wouldn't blame someone for driving a automatic...

And not to forget, if you are a skilled driver and you have the urge for doing fast red light-times :) you can cut tenths of a second on that 0-100 km/h (62 m/h).

And as a grand finish, what would this smiley be without that stick??? :incar: :hihi:

Benman
March 18th, 2003, 16:20
well put:cheers:

:addict:
BIG RS6 NUT

peterb
March 18th, 2003, 23:24
Originally posted by Snow
And as a grand finish, what would this smiley be without that stick??? :incar:

Hey, but that's a Tiptronic stick!:p

Erik
March 19th, 2003, 07:48
I guess we need a smiley with the paddles :hihi:

I think auto-style will come more and more in the future.
Just look at BMW's excellent SMG and the new double-clutch from Audi - faster than any human being.