PDA

View Full Version : New Fifth-Gear season featuring the RS4

trex
April 22nd, 2006, 22:44
[09x04] May 1st, 2006

Tiff takes the awesome Audi RS4, a four door family car with more power than an Aston Martin. Jason is at the helm of the BMW M3 CSL – it's much less powerful than the Audi but is lighter and more agile. The boys go drag racing, hold a drifting competition and finally have a race to find which car is best.

i have a small clip of the RS4 vs. M3CSL that was shown in EP.1 as a promo, ill post it later....

trex
April 22nd, 2006, 23:25
OK this is it :
http://rapidshare.de/files/18690780/FifthGear09x1.avi.html

size is only 5mb

buyalemon
April 23rd, 2006, 09:19
that mirror didn't show anything really! But I have to say that Tiff's tests are much better than "Topgear's"

trex
April 23rd, 2006, 13:40
Originally posted by trex
OK this is it :

size is only 5mb

i hope this works:

jonas_dg
April 23rd, 2006, 17:31
How tiff managed to get it that sideways, you gotta love the guy :)

Ruergard
April 23rd, 2006, 21:55
OMG!

That IS sideways! Gotta check out that episode when it's released!! :revs:

Hawk
April 24th, 2006, 12:45
Originally posted by trex
[09x04] May 1st, 2006

i have a small clip of the RS4 vs. M3CSL that was shown in EP.1 as a promo, ill post it later....
It's an M3 CS not CSL;)

Tanner
April 24th, 2006, 13:44
Only Tiff can get it sooooo sideways!

http://static.flickr.com/51/133662690_4e1d526e5a_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/50/133662704_f1e0ec0df0_o.jpg

Looking forward to this show.... Clarkson didn't really do a test and it didn't run their track for the Top Gear laptime :(

96a4
April 24th, 2006, 14:13
not to fond of 5th gear, I love Top Gear though.

S3 freak
April 24th, 2006, 22:39
Originally posted by 96a4
not to fond of 5th gear, I love Top Gear though.

Me too. :thumb: :thumb:

Tanner
April 24th, 2006, 23:41
Yeah not too much of a Fifth Gear fan, but gotta watch it for the RS4. Definetly two different styles, Top Gear is a lot more entertaining, and everybody I know who introduced their significant other/wife to the show and aren't car enthusiasts, they all love the show.

trex
April 25th, 2006, 01:04
Originally posted by Tanner
everybody I know who introduced their significant other/wife to the show and aren't car enthusiasts, they all love the show.

absolutely true

makara6
April 25th, 2006, 08:07
Could anyone please tape this show and send us a copy, when it comes on. We are in New Zealand and don't receive this show. Will obviously pay for tape ,postage , time,etc...it will also be good for international relations!!!! (get my RS4 soon and am collecting all info) TAR..and I'll tell the boys to let you win next rugby game!!.

makara6
April 25th, 2006, 08:34
Could anyone please tape this show and send us a copy, when it comes on. We are in New Zealand and don't receive this show. Will obviously pay for tape ,postage , time,etc...it will also be good for international relations!!!! (get my RS4 soon and am collecting all info) TAR..and I'll tell the boys to let you win next rugby game!!.

jasaretta
April 25th, 2006, 12:58
Originally posted by makara6

If you get it then you will have to forward it across the ditch. We are getting shows from 2004!!!

jasaretta
April 25th, 2006, 13:04
For anyone in the UK

Next Monday at 8pm...channel 5

jas

makara6
April 25th, 2006, 15:49
More than happy to do that Jasaretta. Maybe you could post a similar request on RS246 forum? and we will see who is the luckiest!.Don't know if a TV fanatic could pick the channel up by satelite in this part of the world, I'll ask around.

trex
April 26th, 2006, 00:23
guys if you have a fast internet connection 512 kps and above you can download the full episode from any good Torrent site as soon as the show ends on TV...
try:
http://thepiratebay.org/
and serch for fifth gear...

for all how cant download from rapidshare.de ,the same clip is on google video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6241977512209030164

makara6
April 26th, 2006, 09:23
Thanks Trex. A bit technophobic, so will keep trying to get a copy Cheers for the response

trex
April 26th, 2006, 14:19
no problem mate ,i know its not straight forward but for me its the only way i can see moto shows from abroad ,now i have all TOP GEAR seasons approx~32 GB :bigeyes: ..
one thing i forgot to mention you need a free software to download anything from Torrent sites the best out there is BitComet :
www.bitcomet.com/

makara6
April 26th, 2006, 20:28
Thanks Trex...I may give it a go if I have a spare couple of days!!!Cheers

freerider
April 26th, 2006, 21:13
Normally, I will be able to get an http-download. I'll post it when I have it . It would be a bit later though (around wednesday).

makara6
April 27th, 2006, 04:56
Thanks Freerider that would be great for us all!!!!.Bless you

freerider
April 27th, 2006, 16:19
Originally posted by makara6
Thanks Freerider that would be great for us all!!!!.Bless you

Don't thank me. The person who makes all of this possible just registered to this site (rpm photography). He said that he's going to do next weeks episode too.

Leadfoot
April 27th, 2006, 23:19
Top Gear vs 5th Gear?

No contest, Top Gear every time. Clarkson, May and Hamster are just great together. I know 5th Gear is more indepth in some of their tests and no doubt the RS4 test will are fantastic but there is no laughter or jokes which makings Top Gear so entertaining.

Tiff has unbelieveable car control and is one of the best drifters around but he's as entertaining as a damp towel, likewise for Plato. Now Vickie that's different, a woman with looks, a wicked laugh and can drive, she is the only one I like to watch and dare I say it dream about, something I can't say I have ever done with Clarky.

No, good as some of the tests are on 5th Gear they don't hold a candle to the 'Car vs Boat/Plane/Train/Bus' tests of Top Gear, long may it rein.:bow:

PS. Another reason why I like Top Gear best is they don't like BMW that much, rate the new 3 series as a dog in the looks department.:hihi:

Yak
April 28th, 2006, 10:10
Anyway, the site for Fifth Gear episodes is http://www.finalgear.com/, no need to search for more ;)

Fifth Gear has improved a lot in this new series, it's more fun, and the new format makes it a real competitor to Top Gear.

It isn't as much fun, Top Gear is in my opinion one of the best entertaining shows, but when it comes to facts, Fifth Gear's opinion might weight more. At least they know how to drive the cars, and for example their Q7 review was much better, concentrating on the actual car, while Top Gear's, while fun wasn't really a car review, it was just making fun of winter sports ;)

Anyway, from FinalGear's site you can find newest Fifth Gear's & Top Gears (well, technically you can't find either from there, but it's their rips).

trex
April 28th, 2006, 14:58
dont forget about this:

Episode five in series 9!
Jason Plato conducts the highest speed road test ever on a public highway as he drives a new Audi with a Lamborghini engine on the German Autobahns. He finds out exactly where these fabled roads with no speed limits are, and sees whether he can get his Audi S6 to reach its top speed of 155mph even when it starts to rain!

jasaretta
May 2nd, 2006, 02:44
So did anyone see it??????

Julz RS4
May 2nd, 2006, 03:38
I saw the last episode of 5 Gear: The RS4 has crushed the M3 like I expected. :rs4addict

Funny side: This RS4 beat the M3 with the 18'' winter wheels set. :hihi:

jasaretta
May 2nd, 2006, 04:23
Originally posted by Julz RS4
I saw the last episode of 5 Gear: The RS4 has crushed the M3 like I expected. :rs4addict

Nice :rs4kiss:

steve
May 2nd, 2006, 16:09
Here it is:

http://www.autoclips.net/detail.php?id_video=4383

freerider
May 2nd, 2006, 17:22
Thanks Steve.

I'll post a link for the full episode as soon as I get it. (http download)

Torrent can be downloaded here (http://www.mininova.org/tor/298122)
Johan

Speedou
May 2nd, 2006, 17:46

Where did you get that info or did I only miss that?

freerider
May 2nd, 2006, 17:50
Got the full episode already in http-download.

You can get it here (right click -> save as) (http://rpm-photography.com/FifthGear/Series%209/Fifth.Gear.S09E04.WS.PDTV.XviD-RiVER.avi)

Next week: the S6!!!

Edit: all episodes (except first) of season 9 can be found here (http://rpm-photography.com/FifthGear/Series%209/)

Hawk
May 2nd, 2006, 21:37
The sound of 6L is always fantastic, i love it:love:

trex
May 3rd, 2006, 00:15
Originally posted by freerider
Got the full episode already in http-download.

You can get it here (right click -> save as) (http://rpm-photography.com/FifthGear/Series%209/Fifth.Gear.S09E04.WS.PDTV.XviD-RiVER.avi)

Next week: the S6!!!

Edit: all episodes (except first) of season 9 can be found here (http://rpm-photography.com/FifthGear/Series%209/)

a big thanks to you and rpm photography
btw i saw the EP late last night, the RS4 rocks no dought. :rs4addict

S3 freak
May 3rd, 2006, 00:18
I loved this episode specially the part when Tiff said: "The new RS4... Itīs unbeatable" :rs4addict :rs4addict

RPM Photography
May 3rd, 2006, 00:26
Episode 1 is uploading...

RPM Photography
May 3rd, 2006, 03:11
Http://www.RPM-Photography.com/FifthGear/

Episode 1 can be found there...

Goldorak
May 3rd, 2006, 05:47
Thanks RPM Photography and freerider.:thumb:

Really enjoyed the RS4 vs M3 CS episode.:applause:

Leadfoot
May 3rd, 2006, 08:15
Watched Fifth Gear on Monday night. Nothing in it that we didn't already know about the RS4 and the M3. The drifting part was a silly, we all know that a quattro will pull itself straight and the M3 is great at doing powerslide, very useful on the public roads. The big surprise was the angle that the RS4 got to and was still recovered.

The most telling statement was after the race from Jason who said that he had to work really hard and concentate to keep up with the RS4 which he couldn't do anyway and he reckon that Tiff was out on a sunday drive in the RS4. I know Audi make their cars safer, but I for one like that in a roadcar.

The race part at the beginning was good, I already posted that I raced an RS4 in my S4 and was beaten by about the same amount, it's a quick car. :bow: :rs4addict

Erik
May 3rd, 2006, 09:28
Originally posted by Leadfoot
The big surprise was the angle that the RS4 got to and was still recovered.

Similar to this: http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9011

Speedou
May 3rd, 2006, 11:59
Nothing new if you have been driving your torsen audi at winter. It's a same thing that happens if you drive FWD and use handbrake to get it over 90 degrees. Just push more gas and the car will "come back". Of course you need some space, so on public road that can be hard :)

To me the whole test was exactly what I expected. Till the M3 is true drivers car but first time I think Audi made a car what is very fast (but safe) on track. To me old RS6 was too heavy and auto trans...But I can't anything about it I love the way RWD car drifts :revs:

DLSJ5
May 4th, 2006, 18:37
My thoughts and of course I'm a little biased and may get flamed for this, it's my 1st post as well, hehe. :D

No doubt the RS4 is an awesome machine and clearly it will win in those wet conditions and normally I think it will win in dry conditions as well. But let's be realistic the M3 is RWD and will have massive wheelspin from a dig, especially if the surface is wet, as was explained in the episode. On a dry surface it would be much closer as both cars have similiar advertised ET's of 13 -13.2 at 106 MPH in the 1/4 mile, normally you don't drag race on a wet surface. Around a track the RS4 didn't kill the M3 the M3 was right there, at the start is where the RS4 owned the RWD M3 and held it.

Regardless the RS4 won as expected :rs4kiss:, but as soon as the owners begin to take these cars to the track to compare on dry surfaces, I say it'll be damn close, just as Evo magazine reported in their comparisons. My good friend is getting one, it'll be fun to do some friendly runs at the track. :race:

Great Vid and site, thanks for the link freerider! :thumb:

Leadfoot
May 4th, 2006, 20:01
Originally posted by DLSJ5
My thoughts and of course I'm a little biased and may get flamed for this, it's my 1st post as well, hehe. :D

No doubt the RS4 is an awesome machine and clearly it will win in those wet conditions and normally I think it will win in dry conditions as well. But let's be realistic the M3 is RWD and will have massive wheelspin from a dig, especially if the surface is wet, as was explained in the episode. On a dry surface it would be much closer as both cars have similiar advertised ET's of 13 -13.2 at 106 MPH in the 1/4 mile, normally you don't drag race on a wet surface. Around a track the RS4 didn't kill the M3 the M3 was right there, at the start is where the RS4 owned the RWD M3 and held it.

Regardless the RS4 won as expected :rs4kiss:, but as soon as the owners begin to take these cars to the track to compare on dry surfaces, I say it'll be damn close, just as Evo magazine reported in their comparisons. My good friend is getting one, it'll be fun to do some friendly runs at the track. :race:

Great Vid and site, thanks for the link freerider! :thumb:

I can't speak for the US RS4s and M3, but in the UK I have raced a few M3 and up to 100mph or so the is nothing in it, the only gaps that appears is when one or the other change gear. Now I have had a go at a RS4, it walked me no problem. No way will a standard M3 work with a RS4.

My brother has a '05 Boxster and has try a Cayman S, the brother-in-law has an '04 M3. We have all tried them from a standing start to the same point on the dual carriageway. The speeds for each were Boxster 117mph, Cayman 119mph, M3 120mph and my S4v8 122mph. If you allow for speedo difference there really isn't much difference in any of these cars. One thing I would like to add, my S4 it will do that speed even it I miss 3rd gear and go straight to 4th. M3 driver don't know anything about torque.

The part about racing on a track. I would agree the M3 will stay quite close because of the fact that if you over cook it you only go on to the grass, but on the road it wouldn't see the road it went and I know it would even keep up with a S4.

DLSJ5
May 4th, 2006, 21:32
I can't speak for the US RS4s and M3, but in the UK I have raced a few M3 and up to 100mph or so the is nothing in it, the only gaps that appears is when one or the other change gear. Now I have had a go at a RS4, it walked me no problem. No way will a standard M3 work with a RS4.

My brother has a '05 Boxster and has try a Cayman S, the brother-in-law has an '04 M3. We have all tried them from a standing start to the same point on the dual carriageway. The speeds for each were Boxster 117mph, Cayman 119mph, M3 120mph and my S4v8 122mph. If you allow for speedo difference there really isn't much difference in any of these cars. One thing I would like to add, my S4 it will do that speed even it I miss 3rd gear and go straight to 4th. M3 driver don't know anything about torque.

The part about racing on a track. I would agree the M3 will stay quite close because of the fact that if you over cook it you only go on to the grass, but on the road it wouldn't see the road it went and I know it would even keep up with a S4.

I guess results may vary. :) I've experienced the opposite here in the states I have quite a few friends with B6/B7 S4's and it's not even close. I walk away from them fairly easily at any speed, from a dig of course they get a nice jump but after that I walk away. I did run a 12.89 in the 1/4 mile though.

Don't get me wrong I'm certain the RS4 will walk away from M3's easily, but in the 1/4 mile info so far it would suggest a very tight race, but those are estimated times. I'm sure they will run in the mid 12's with that power and TQ. Can't wait to get a ride in my friends when he finally gets it. :thumb:

Julz RS4
May 7th, 2006, 01:18
Originally posted by Speedou
Where did you get that info or did I only miss that?

Simply take a look on those 18'' wheels and you will understand. ;)

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6592/snapshot200605021439531ce.jpg

India Whiskey Charlie
May 7th, 2006, 02:04
Simply take a look on those 18'' wheels and you will understand. ;)
I think he was asking where you got the idea the RS4 had winter tires. He was not questioning the sizes. You can have 18" summer performance tires with those wheels too.

AndyBG
May 7th, 2006, 02:40
DLSJ5, maybe you are ''killing'' those S4s with tiptronic transmision, i am just gessing, othervise i don't see logic in these diferent cases.:vhmmm:

Leadfoot, what kind of transmision you have on your car?

Leadfoot
May 7th, 2006, 06:45
It's a manual, the auto is the best part of second slower to 100mph.

WHITEY
May 7th, 2006, 09:18
As any1 got a link to download the top gear Audi RS4 using bittorrent ?

:bow: :rs4addict

AndyBG
May 7th, 2006, 10:56
It's a manual, the auto is the best part of second slower to 100mph.

That is maybe solution to this ''puzzle'', what do you think guys?

Speedou
May 7th, 2006, 11:00
Originally posted by Viken B.
I think he was asking where you got the idea the RS4 had winter tires. He was not questioning the sizes. You can have 18" summer performance tires with those wheels too.

Correct! :applause:

Leadfoot
May 7th, 2006, 12:19
Originally posted by AndyBG
That is maybe solution to this ''puzzle'', what do you think guys?

The tiptronic's gearing is totally different to the manual with each gear doing more top speed which has an effect on when you accelerate. The M3 use the same gearbox as the manual so it's times are less effected if at all. One things for sure you will never miss a gear with a SMG or a tiptronic, so they might not always lose the race.:vhmmm:

Speedou
May 7th, 2006, 15:56
Tiptronic S4 is SLOW. 0-100 is just under 7 sec. I don't know why, but it really loose much power.

Leadfoot
May 7th, 2006, 16:09
Originally posted by Speedou
Tiptronic S4 is SLOW. 0-100 is just under 7 sec. I don't know why, but it really loose much power.

I take it you are talking about 0-100kph and not 0-100mph because that would a bloody great time. Though I agree just under 7 secs is very slow, a time of just under 6 secs should be about right and 0-160kph in about 13-13.5secs. My best time was 0-160kph in about 12secs dead.

Speedou
May 7th, 2006, 18:36
I take it you are talking about 0-100kph and not 0-100mph because that would a bloody great time. Though I agree just under 7 secs is very slow, a time of just under 6 secs should be about right and 0-160kph in about 13-13.5secs. My best time was 0-160kph in about 12secs dead.

Ups, so yes, I'm talking about kph. I have seen times like from 6.5 to 6.8 and I think it just is too slow for 340hp. I have also driven both manual and tipt. and the difference was huge.

DLSJ5
May 8th, 2006, 06:48
Originally posted by AndyBG
DLSJ5, maybe you are ''killing'' those S4s with tiptronic transmision, i am just gessing, othervise i don't see logic in these diferent cases.:vhmmm:

Leadfoot, what kind of transmision you have on your car?

Good point, the Tip was a "Killing" that Tip S4 owner does frequent this forum he actually told me about rs6.com, not sure if he posts very often though.

6mt it is closer, but I still walk away, look at the 1/4 mile times for the B6 S4 they're high 13's normally. I do have another friend with a Revo'd S4, and some other goodies, that's much closer.

My main point was the estimated 1/4 mile times of the RS4 are not much better than the M3, but as soon as RS4 owners hit the drag strips, which probably won't happen often, lol, as it's more of a track car, then we will see the real difference. Another issue with the comparison was that the track was wet, which truly favors AWD.

Leadfoot
May 8th, 2006, 14:00
I reckon a slightly damp track will help a awd with not only the added traction but it will also help all four wheels to spin, slightly easing the load on the clutch and stopping it from slipping. To much slip and the clutch can do it again when you grab 2nd gear and the time you will post will be buggered.

I for one haven't see a big difference in my 0-60 or 0-100mph time in damp or dry. Has anyone notice the same?

7:53 RS6
May 30th, 2006, 10:16
I wounder what kind of tiers was on these cars?

In these conditions sure the RS4 will bee faster, im not sure in the dry if it would still bee, talking round times on track. Well anyway its hard to tell on track times cuse i dont know by just watching this video what guy is the faster driver of them? What they should done was to swoop cars in one round, just to see if it was the same more or less. Its the driver that make a car go fast not the car it self.

If anybody left some one by the red light in the city, it dont mean anything. The same goes for tracks etc. All things is related to how redy was the next guy, how well is he driving, how much is he pushing car and his own limits, how risky is he,, what do we know had he a flat tier at the time?? all comperd to you. This is kids stuff if you take this things to serius, take it for what it is. Its very hard to even make an what so ever fair comparsion of cars. To identical cars can differ in speed as well as temp, suface temp drivingstyle etc makes change, no wounder why diffrent mags get diffrent times. Dont put so much value in whats whriten, its more to a car than 0-100 and 0-200km or track time.

Take this for what it is, it bloody fun to watch and read about cars. I love it my self and compering but have in mind it can not even by any chance ever bee fair but still fun to read and talk about.