PDA

View Full Version : Electronics on the A6 and the new RS6?

s42ski
April 20th, 2006, 22:15
Went to Pacific Audi for my 25000 mile service. No major issues :dance:

They gave me a 2006 A6 as a loaner, embarrassed to admit this, but it took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to take off the emergency brake - kept looking for a pull handle or even floor pedal - silly me - it was an electronic switch. When I returned it I asked what happens if the battery dies, answer was - "no way to disengage (or engage) the brake if the battery is dead"

Also the brake is an on off device, so no way to use it to slow down when driving - ( sometimes used when you notice a cop behind you and you want to slow without alerting him via brake lights that you are going too fast)

My point of this rant is - is Audi going too far with electronic gizmo's ?

Will the new RS6 have even more electronics than the current A6 ?

End Rant

iconcls
April 20th, 2006, 22:27
Originally posted by s42ski
sometimes used when you notice a cop behind you and you want to slow without alerting him via brake lights that you are going too fast

Is there even any other use for the e-brake?

Aronis
April 21st, 2006, 00:39
:0:

down shift can do the same....LOL

As far as electronic gizmos are concerned, they will keep adding them until the cars drive themselves (at 55 mph of course).

Mike

Vegasguy
April 21st, 2006, 03:14

Starting on Hills. :0:

BBGT2
April 21st, 2006, 05:12
Originally posted by s42ski

Also the brake is an on off device, so no way to use it to slow down when driving - ( sometimes used when you notice a cop behind you and you want to slow without alerting him via brake lights that you are going too fast)

End Rant

Easily defeat the brake lights via a kill switch that you control somewhere near your e-brake handle.

Of course I seen this on someone else's car.

Bajo

jgun81
April 21st, 2006, 12:46
What's an e brake? :D
I have never used it.
I don't see a point of using e brake for automatic cars unless you plan to do some crazy stuff.

Aronis
April 21st, 2006, 13:49
Originally posted by jgun81
What's an e brake? :D
I have never used it.
I don't see a point of using e brake for automatic cars unless you plan to do some crazy stuff.

Old use of Emergency Brake was when the main brakes fail....hydrolic leak... the e-brake is a cable hooked to the rear brakes, so it's purely mechanical and will work if you have a brake line leak.

Thus the name EMERGENCY BRAKE.

Of course using it to slow down as above is a great use....not that I have ever had to do that and all....LOL.....

Back to having driving fun with summer tires on...willl be using the ebrake a lot LOL.

By the way my car squats when I brake so the coppers can see my car brake dipping from a mile away.....

Mike

Benman
April 21st, 2006, 15:42
Originally posted by iconcls

No kidding!:trash: :D

Ben:addict:

TaTaPiRaTa
April 21st, 2006, 21:33
Originally posted by Aronis

Thus the name EMERGENCY BRAKE.

Of course using it to slow down as above is a great use....not that I have ever had to do that and all....LOL.....

Back to having driving fun with summer tires on...willl be using the ebrake a lot LOL.

By the way my car squats when I brake so the coppers can see my car brake dipping from a mile away.....

Mike

yes emergency, but such a brake is working only at some very slow speed :eek: