PDA

View Full Version : 3.6L VR6 engine

Leadfoot
April 20th, 2006, 22:17
I see the new R36 is soon to be release on sale - early half of 2007. Does anyone know if the TT will be getting this engine around the same time or maybe the new 2.0L supercharged/turbocharger engine earmarked for the next GTI Golf?

Iceman
April 21st, 2006, 21:14
According to German "Auto Motor und Sport" the new TT will get also that 3.6 litre 280 hp VR6 engine.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 22nd, 2006, 15:11
Iceman,

Will this be the most powerful TT or is there any more planned for the future?

Another thing bugging me, the the weight of the V6 over the Turbo4, what is the difference in weight balance over the axles, quoted at 58/42. Is this the V6 model?

We all know Audis shift to 40/60 quattro has made a great difference to the handling to all models with this new set-up, especially the RS4. But what is the weight balance of it in relation to the TT and the up and coming A4/A5?

Do you know if the Golf R36 will get this 40/60 split that is going into the TT?

Sorry for all these questions, but you do seem to know quite a lot or are you like me, never without a car mag in your hand.

Iceman
April 22nd, 2006, 18:24
You are mixing two things i think.
The RS4 is a longitudinal engine layout car with a Torsen diff 40-60%.
The TT is a transverse engine layout car with Haldex diff 10-90%.
It's not possible with a Haldex to get 60% of the power to the rear wheels.
Haldex2 used in the new R32 and TT is still the same like Haldex1 but it will react much quicker if the front wheels loose grip.
It is most likely that the TT 3.6 Quattro will be the most powerfull TT for a long time.
It can get 280 hp or maybe a little more like 300 hp.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 22nd, 2006, 20:11
I recently asked the mechanic at the dealer's when my car was in with a parking sensor fault, the question 'Is the 4 wheel drive system in the R32 the same as the one in the new TT'. His reply was that they are different and the new TT was rear bias.

That is why I asked the question about weight balance and the R36. Every time this question is asked about the new TT they (Sales staff) keep bring up the fact that Audi has move to a rear bias 4 wheel drives and this is the way all new Audi will be. Are you saying they were telling a little white lie.:w:

Iceman
April 22nd, 2006, 21:58
Also according to "Auto Motor und Sport" it is still the same Haldex System only with a quicker response to give the rear wheels power.
The Haldex2 is like a Haldex1 with the upgrade power controller.

Auto Motor und Sport
Dabei handel es sich um das bekannte Haldex-system mit elektronisch gesteuerter lamellenkupplung.
Eine heckbetonte Grundkraftverteilung wie bei den neue Audi-Modellen mit längsmotor ist hier nicht möglich, aber die hinterachse wird schneller als bisher zugeschaltet.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 23rd, 2006, 13:48
Iceman,

Does the Bugatti not have a Haldex system?

If I am right, it's system produces a rear bias?

Iceman
April 23rd, 2006, 14:12
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Iceman,

Does the Bugatti not have a Haldex system?

If I am right, it's system produces a rear bias?
If the Bugatti have it (I don't no the tech layout of that car) it will be the other way around.
90% power to the rear and 10% to the front.
And if the rear wheels loose grip more power will go to the front.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 23rd, 2006, 22:09
Iceman,

This is a quote from cars.blogs

http://cars.blogs.ca/2006/04/07/stunning-new-audi-tt-revealed/2/

Power for the TT comes from two different, but well-known sources. Base models come with the famed 200-horsepower 2.0-litre FSI-T engine, paired to FrontTrak front-wheel drive. Top-line TTs get the more powerful 250-horsepower 3.2-litre narrow-angle V(R)6 engine, mated to a rear-biased Haldex-based all-wheel drive system. Both engines come standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, though, for those who wish for more automation, the fantastic S Tronic (formerly DSG) six-speed dual-clutch gearbox can be ordered with either engine.

I don't know how clued these guys are, but someone from Audi obviously has told them that the TT is rear bias.

Can you at least accept the possiblity.

Iceman
April 23rd, 2006, 22:18
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Iceman, I don't know how clued these guys are, but someone from Audi obviously has told them that the TT is rear bias.
Can you at least accept the possiblity.
I can becorse the same is told about the Shooting Brake Concept but there they talking about a "Multi Plate Clutch" and not about Haldex.
But if the TT Mk2 have Haldex it can't be rear bias, it is not possible from a technical point of view.

Hans.