PDA

View Full Version : Potential Buyer Seeks Advice

cc
April 15th, 2006, 03:09
I see a number of RS6's are for sale at the moment. I'm guessing many of these are coming off-lease. As someone who's always wanted one, and is now a prospective buyer, can you offer some balanced advice, such as:
- if owning a used but low-mileage RS6 is wise w/o warranty
- what to look for
- whether I should have my head examined for even considering such a thing

thanks!
:incar:

LIRS6
April 15th, 2006, 03:35
Firstly, what country are you in? If in the US, then:

A) Make sure that you have an RS6 authorized service dealer close at hand (they are limited in number).
B) Get an extended warranty for sure, but bear in mind that even with one, maintaining these cars isn't cheap: you're looking at replacing pads/rotors every 25k or so, and no extended warranty will cover that, unless maybe CPO does?
C) Know that many owners have had a variety of issues with these cars ... DRC, tranny, electric (mine had the wiring harness replaced)
D) Above all, make sure that the car has not been modified AT ALL (read chipped and such), as I doubt any warranty will cover it in such case.

Read posts here and on Audiworld to get a good understanding of the plusses and minusses

But if you take the plunge, you'll have one hell of a great car to play with. Mine is my daily commuter, my ski car, my thrill ride all rolled into one.

DetailersDomain
April 15th, 2006, 05:15
that's some good advice, I just traded my 04 S4 in for an 03 RS6.

It's CPO till 2009.

I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Can't wait.

Paldi
April 15th, 2006, 14:56
These cars arn't cheap. They were sold at inflated asking prices because there was nothing like it in production at the time and the technology was cutting edge. Now almost four "car-years" later, the technology of other makes has to an extent caught up and the competition is darned good.

Meanwhile, the RS6's up for sale are three years old and many are beginning to experience the problems that inevitably begin to crop up when cars get older. Throw in the issues of Audi service, the cost of service and parts availability, and the scarcity of trained techs on the RS6 and you have to wonder how you will fare after spending another two to three years with this car. Especially if you aren't near a major population center with a bunch of Audi dealerships around to choose from for service.

I think it is wise to ponder the question, however, if you are mechanically inclined, love Audi and are losing sleep over it, may as well get one and put on the Fanatic helmut. Join the few, the proud, the RS6 owners! I can relate, I bought a VW Phaeton. :-)

As for things to look out for:

The car is fast but the brakes are weak.

The car accelerates quickly but the transmission is weak.

The car has terrific and handling but the suspension is weak.

The twin turbo is awesome but it get's hot under the hood. (Change belts, fluids hoses more often than usual. Watch out for any leaks.)

Did I mention the exhaust note? That's great! :-) The car is a stealth rocket, if you like stealth - but get a radar dectector, just in case.

Enjoy yourself, and try to get a low mileage, well kept and serviced vehicle. Pay a little more for one like that.

7:53 RS6
April 15th, 2006, 20:59
Dont worry about the brakes, they are far from bad, they do a superb job on the porky RS6. The stock pads on the other hand is up for change if you going at it, stock pads cant take the heat of relly inspierd driving, and whit that its comming a fast wear out of these stock pads if driving inspierd, they dissaper in no time, even burn right up. But for normal driving even stock pads is ok. I would recommend black or grey Pagids, these pads can take the heat for real and will last, they wont burn. Its a hevy car so you be better of whit these, the rotor wear is slightly more whit these comperd to stock pads. And dont worry the Pagid do bite even cold.

Its often the brake oil that fades first before pads, so again if going at it inspierd see to it to change oil to racing oil that can handel higher temp, the boling point in racing oil its much higher, as RS6 is a porker you better change. I know its an issu whit waranty if in USA. Dont worry this oil will not damage the brake system.

These superb brakes on RS6 is nowdays doing an even better jobb on the new RS4 due to it is les porky than RS6.

The transmission is ok for the stock NM, i shouldent worry for it at all at a low km car.

But as a advice, if you go hard whit RS6 it eats money from you. A brand new set of Pirelli P zero Nero is finished and out in 3000km

My onley issu relly was that it get so hot. So at track of slower kind it can go limp on you for a while to it recover whit some rest in the pits, then its ok again. Its just a safety gismmo in the engin that feels when its due to over heat so it cuts the power for you to force you not to blow thing up. The RS6 plus have added coling and you can go for a longer time before it go limp. For the record my RS6 never got limp on street even going relly inspierd, onley on shorter track as these track are not so fast and it wont get the propper air to cool it then. At the Nurburgring it just fine as it a fast track whit plenty of cooling comming at it.

All in all RS6 is very well put togheter and even i did have the Avant im impressed of how it go especally on track.
Why dont buy a Plus as the are comming down now :revs:
God luck

gregoryindiana
April 15th, 2006, 21:36
Originally posted by 8:05 RS6
All in all RS6 is very well put togheter and even i did have the Avant im impressed of how it go especally on track.
Why dont buy a Plus as the are comming down now :revs:
God luck

I would agree with most of what 8:05 says. But you can't get the RS6 Plus in the states, never came here.

And I would not plan on an RS6 as my primary track car. Some drivers ed with Audi Club, OK. But you should even then plan on a change of the stock pads at the end of the weekend. As far as changing pads to the Pagids, I wouldn't bother for US street use. Same with brake fluid; just change the stock fluid after a track weekend, if you feel the need to track the car once or twice.

I do worry about the DRG suspension issue. To me that seems to be the biggest unknown, and one that is apparently a pain to get right if it breaks. Some owners seem to be expecting Audi to institute a recall. Out of warranty, this will be super expensive to fix, even if they can get it right. Aftermarket replacement suspension systems suitable for the RS6 are not in the main used on street cars. So durability may be an issue. And the original cause of the problem seems to be corrosion in the shocks per Mike Aronis. See the extensive discussions. Salt covered roads isn't something you would feel the need to avoid in a modern Quattro car, but this does make you worry.

7:53 RS6
April 15th, 2006, 23:39
Tru, its not the ideal track car, i guess its just me tracking what ever i got in handy. It goes pretty well even so lardy and porky andt whit an atomatic, kind of miss her. Glad to have her still as my avantar pic, sweet memories:heart:

chutia
April 16th, 2006, 06:27
I own one. My simple and concise advise: do not buy it. Nothing but hearaches, broken promises, constant component failures, long wait times for spare parts, techs who do not know how to fix this car....shall I go on? Good luck!

gjg
April 16th, 2006, 06:42
if you are in Europe you should not have this AoA's self-inflicted service problem as US guys are experiencing. :idea:

gregoryindiana
April 16th, 2006, 16:10
Originally posted by gjg
if you are in Europe you should not have this AoA's self-inflicted service problem as US guys are experiencing. :idea:

True enough.

But the Europeans are not immune to the suspension woes, as I understand.

And the cost is the same for the parts, maybe more with VAT. European Audi techs may see more RS6 than US, again if you are in the right city; no different than US in that way. Close to Chicago for me is good, as best as US can be, I think.

Euro warranty not as long or as all inclusive as US??

Suspension still the biggest worry on the car for potential buyer. Heat underhood is real; change belts by age, not mileage. Same for hoses. Same for fluids, including ATF. Remember, lifetime fluid means for the life of the warranty if you are the manufacturer. After that doesn't matter. That is probably the same for all fluids; hydraulic system, power steering, and any filter in that system. Also coolant, with anticorrosive protection for the aluminium block degrading over time.