PDA

View Full Version : Question for Erik

Benman
April 11th, 2006, 20:47
Erik (or any A3 diesel owners), a question: What kind of mileage did you get with your A3 diesel?

IF and when AOA ever brings over the A3 2.0TDI diesel, I'm thinking it'd make a great commuter. I know the UK site quotes figures, but I was wondering what real world experience you had with your A3. Thanks. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Mr Balsen
April 11th, 2006, 22:25
I know A3 1,9l TDI with mileage well over 200 000 km which are running perfectly well. I am not aware about any probleme with the 2,0l TDI engine so far.

If you search on www.mobile.de, you will see the type of mileage for such car.

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

Benman
April 11th, 2006, 23:25
Originally posted by Mr Balsen
I know A3 1,9l TDI with mileage well over 200 000 km which are running perfectly well.

Sorry Frederic, should have been more clear. I meant Fuel Economy (mpg) for such a car...:thumb:

Mr Balsen
April 11th, 2006, 23:49
No problem. The fuel economy is crazy on the 2,0l TDI. I believe it like 6liters for 100 km (good luck for the math ! ! !). I remembered once I drove a golf 2,0 TDI with MTM Chip from Munich back to Ingolstadt well over 200 km/h with three adults inside. The avaerage mpg was less than 9liters for 100 km. It was unbelievable.

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

AndyBG
April 12th, 2006, 02:07
First hand expiriance, VW GOLF IV 1.9 TDI, chiped from 110 hp to 145 hp, with full throtle drive, and i realy mean full throtle wehn i say it, in city conditions. 7-8.5 liters per 100 kms.

Benman
April 12th, 2006, 14:57
Well that's some dang good figures!

6L/100KM is @ 40mpg!
9L/100KM is @ 26mpg! (averaging 200kph!!!)

Sweet! Now if only Audi will import it!!!

2.0 TDI A3 Quattro S Line!:thumb:

AndyBG
April 12th, 2006, 15:01
Originally posted by Benman

2.0 TDI A3 Quattro S Line!:thumb:

If you allow me to say, excelent choice, sir.

:D

Benman
April 12th, 2006, 15:05
Originally posted by AndyBG
If you allow me to say, excelent choice, sir.

:D
Well, thank you Sir...

Now, how much you wanna bet Audi won't bring it here for me!:w: :(

AndyBG
April 12th, 2006, 15:10
I am afraid that chances for Audi bringing A3 TDI in US are smaller than you moving to live and work in Europe, so...

Looks like no TDI for Benman.

:(

Benman
April 12th, 2006, 15:24
Well, there's always hope. The new R10 TDI racecar could really shake up some stuff for AOA. By having a diesel win major events, it will get some recognition. When the R10 won Sebring, it was in all the major papers, and I'm not just talking about car mags. Had some TV coverage as well. A diesel performing like the R10 did has major implications for this country.

Hopefully eyes will be opened, including those of my wife.

mr
April 13th, 2006, 07:51
well ... if Audi doesn't bring over the big pond -> well ... why not open a company importing Audi - TDIs for US???

rgds
mr

Erik
April 13th, 2006, 08:02
Active driving about 7-8 l / 100 km. Down to 5l / 100 km if you're far away from being in a hurry and the roads are flat.

A bit more than I expected, but the car is heavier than you expect.

Benman
April 13th, 2006, 19:50
Originally posted by Erik
Active driving about 7-8 l / 100 km. Down to 5l / 100 km if you're far away from being in a hurry and the roads are flat.

A bit more than I expected, but the car is heavier than you expect.
:bigeyes: Erik, that is excellent! That equals out to roughly 47mpg! PERFECT for commuting! :thumb:

Benman
April 14th, 2006, 15:27
Ahh...This gives me some hope!

Key quote: "The diesel share of U.S. light-vehicle sales is expected to increase from 3.2 percent in 2005 to more than 10 percent by the middle of the next decade. Conversely, prospects for diesel light-vehicle demand within the key Asian markets remains mixed."

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Industry_Tuner_News/article_2161.shtml

Erik
April 18th, 2006, 15:06
:bigeyes: Erik, that is excellent! That equals out to roughly 47mpg! PERFECT for commuting! :thumb:

Yup.

But my father's S80 Diesel (using an old 2.5 Audi diesel engine) gets the same mileage... :confused:

Benman
April 18th, 2006, 15:27
Originally posted by Erik
Yup.

But my father's S80 Diesel (using an old 2.5 Audi diesel engine) gets the same mileage... :confused:
Yeah, speaking of "old", the original Honda Civic petrol released in the States to combat the gas "crisis" got better fuel economy than the brand new (30 years later...) Civic Hybrid!!! How's that for "progress".:trash:

Mr Balsen
April 18th, 2006, 19:13
Yeah, speaking of "old", the original Honda Civic petrol released in the States to combat the gas "crisis" got better fuel economy than the brand new (30 years later...) Civic Hybrid!!! How's that for "progress".:trash:

This is good information. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

SoCal
April 19th, 2006, 07:09

1973 Honda Civic seated 4, got over 40 mpg (better than the 2006 Civic models, even hybrids), and transformed Honda in the North American market from a motorcycle company to a car company. Of course, it had front wheel drive (a relative novelty)then, no cupholders (tongue firmly in cheek on that one), no airbags, and only AM radio, so it weighed a lot less. Of course, you could park it anywhere and it seated 4 adults in a package smaller than a new Mini. Think of a SmartCar for people with friends.

You would think that 30 years of progress would yield better mileage, net.

What's the point? An Audi A3 TDI in US would be a killer car if Audi could figure out how to market it to the not-always-so-bright US car buying public. They think that hybrids are smart (see current May '06 issue of Road & Track for a great article on why hybrids make little economic sense at their current price premium over conventional gasoline engines). They think that diesels are dirty, loud and slow. They are wrong, since diesel technology has advanced in the past decades.

The key for Audi would be to be among the first major brand to market a US diesel car that has in this order (1) FUEL ECONOMY, (2) PERFORMANCE and (3) CLEAN EMISSIONS. That's it. Now sell it.

:incar:

eazy
April 19th, 2006, 10:39
Sorry to say this, but I think that Mercedes-Benz will be on the market before Audi.
They announced that they will bring diesel-cars with their new bluetec-technology to the US.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060110.013/country/gcf/mercedes/mercedes-benz-bluetec-technology

According to worldcarfans.com an E320 BLUETEC will start autumn 2006 in the US.

I think this is a very good technology to improve emissions of diesel-cars. Maybe Audi will develop a similar system.

greetings

eazy

Benman
April 19th, 2006, 16:09
Originally posted by SoCal
1973 Honda Civic...

:bow: Amen to that post!

Bring us the A3 diesel!!!

eazy,

Mercedes will beat Audi to market with their new deisels (so much for Never Follow, wait till last for an SUV, then announce you're waiting to bring a Hybrid SUV to the US until you watch how the sales of the Lexus RX Hybrid go, A LEXUS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, then watch Mercedes lead America into the luxury diesel!!!!, The following, the following, oh how it continues...).

However, been reading up on this "Bluetech" excrement. Excrement, I mean that literally. I think its total BS, or more procise, total BP (Bull Piss).

That's right folks! Animal PISS (urea!!!)!!! Nice huh? Yeah, cause I want to drive around town with a trunk full of animal PISS in my freaking car! What the heck!!! But wait, there's MORE! Check this!!! You can't just put any ol' animal piss in your trunk (well of course not, that would be FREE!!!), noooooo, you have to buy this "holy", special Horse PISS from your local Mercedes Dealer and then proceed to PAY them to install it in your trunk!!! Wow, now I feel special!!! They say this "special" bag of COW WASTE needs to be changed with every oil change. Nice. Do you know how much its going to cost to transport BIO HAZARDOUS material (which is what its classified as here!), and then install it!

No way, Jose! If I'm going to have piss in my trunk, its going to come from ME, that way it's free!!! Plus, I control my OWN diet thank you, so I will be able to personally vouch for the quality of PISS that will be mixing with my fuel!:D

Audi is now talking about FOLLOWING Mercedes down this path (gee, follow? Here I thought they actually led from time to time...). PLEASE Audi, DON'T DO IT!!! Please! I don't want to pay you every dang oil change to put new PISS in my trunk!!!:trash:

bonte
April 27th, 2006, 19:25
We have an A3 sportback and a A4 Avant TDI.

They both do about 6l/100km. Driven fairly hard. Often speeds above 150kmh. When you really pay attention, one can get about 4,8l/100km with the sportback.

The A4 Avant uses about 0,3-0,4l/10kkm more. Due to the weight, we drive the two cars with similar driving style (let's say spirited :-) )

If you get the 2.0TDI, my collegues have 2, they get about 6,7l/100km.

Benman
April 27th, 2006, 20:14
Originally posted by bonte

If you get the 2.0TDI, my collegues have 2, they get about 6,7l/100km.

Thanks for the input!:thumb:

bonte
April 27th, 2006, 20:29
with the 2.0TDI icw DSG and driven hard, you will get a consumption of nearly 8l/100km I was told (but this under abnormal driving)

Vegasguy
April 30th, 2006, 04:38
I gotta say, the 2.0 TDI is an awesome engine. I rented an A4 Avant last summer in Stuttgart and drove it down to Zurich. Unfortunatly I did not check mileage.
The car was amazing to drive. Quite, strong and did well on the road.
Top speed for us was 220km with me, wife, 3 kids and luggage in the back. Most of the time we ran right around 180km with no problem.

Pete

Benman
May 1st, 2006, 15:22
Originally posted by Vegasguy
I gotta say, the 2.0 TDI is an awesome engine. I rented an A4 Avant last summer in Stuttgart and drove it down to Zurich.
The car was amazing to drive.
Pete

First two trips to Germany were with TDI rentals and I loved em. I can only imagine the new 2.0TDI. I want one!:thumb: