PDA

View Full Version : RS6 motor with bent valves for sale.

Paldi
April 10th, 2006, 23:20
I got an offer to sell from a junk yard. They claim to have an RS6 that was totaled. The engine has bent valves supposedly due to a problem with the cam gears. He also claims to have an interior and the transmission.

I've been looking for an RS6 motor to put in my VW Phaeton. Wondering if it would be cost effective to repair the motor and perhaps grab the transmission at the same time. I doubt the stock VW Phaeton 6 speed could handle the Twin T.

This fellow hasn't mentioned pricing yet. What do you think I'm in for bottom line to fix a pair of heads with bent valves?:mech:

Tom C
April 11th, 2006, 00:29
I would assume that bent valves also mean damaged pistons. You really need to open up the engine and see what else is damaged. Could it just be the bent valves?...maybe. Could it be bent and broken valves and damaged pistons and block? Who knows. But the price differential could be devastating.

Tom

Paldi
April 11th, 2006, 02:20
Valves will bend b4 pistons will crack. Ask price for the works is $6,000. Probably they will take half that.

Tom C
April 11th, 2006, 05:03
I was making an assumption that the valves were bent from contact with the piston. I would also assume that a scratched piston (not a cracked piston) would lose its maximum compression. You might want to replace them.

Now if a piece of those valves are running amuck in the cylinders you ma have other issues.

Tom

Paldi
April 11th, 2006, 05:20
Someone said the sodium in the valves could leak out if they break, ruining the pistons. I think I'll pass.

Aronis
April 11th, 2006, 14:25
Was that the RS6 from the Albany Airport Crash? I saw that engine, sitting in the service bay....damaged pretty good.

Mike

Paldi
April 11th, 2006, 14:41
This one is in Sydney. Yes the real Sydney! Australia = geographically undesirable...