PDA

View Full Version : Streets of Tomorrow

Benman
April 10th, 2006, 18:05
Signed up, and waiting for the test drive. :thumb: Anyone else?

http://www.audistreetsoftomorrow.com/

Ben:addict:

KiwiRS4
April 10th, 2006, 22:57
Yep - Ordered one and should be here in September.

Benman
April 10th, 2006, 23:38
Kiwi,

Does Audi of NZ have a similar ride and drive program?

rheudabaga
April 11th, 2006, 00:17
I signed up for the one in chicago, May 7th. geesh, running out of patience though.

Benman
April 11th, 2006, 01:23
Originally posted by rheudabaga
I signed up for the one in chicago, May 7th. geesh, running out of patience though.

Hey there rheudabaga:cheers: ,

Haven't heard much from you so thought maybe you went and bought that Land Rover :trash: :D

BTW, how's the RS 4 coming along?

rheudabaga
April 11th, 2006, 03:29
Originally posted by Benman
nd bought that Land Rover :trash: :D

BTW, how's the RS 4 coming along?

Ha. Been avoiding you, Mr. Benman, cuz I knew you'd ask me that:MTM:

Events have conspired to make the RS4 a bit of a reach for us. I've got an S4 Avant on order that should be here end of May. The silly thing is that I'm somewhat disappointed to be getting a 'mere' S4, when it is a fantastic car. Alas, it's no RS4:cry: But the S4 Avant will fit what we need really well...even a little better than the RS4.

I suppose there's a .000001% chance things could swing my way when the RS4's start showing up, but I've pretty much given up that cause. I'm going to be so depressed when I see them rumbling around the streets of Chicago.

Speaking of the Streets of Tomorrow...yes, my wife has been patiently waiting for the opportunity to test drive the Q7, even though she's leaning HEAVILY towards the LR3. So the test-drive has to just blow her away. (I know, I know, who wears the pants in this family anyway? We all know the answer to that...)

One thing working in my favor would be the apparent lease rates on the Q7. Seeing a money factor around .0015, which is very aggressive, no?!?

Ok, now for the 3 1/2 week wait for the test drive....
:doh:

Benman
April 11th, 2006, 16:58
Ha. Been avoiding you, Mr. Benman, cuz I knew you'd ask me that:MTM:

Events have conspired to make the RS4 a bit of a reach for us. I've got an S4 Avant on order that should be here end of May. The silly thing is that I'm somewhat disappointed to be getting a 'mere' S4, when it is a fantastic car. Alas, it's no RS4:cry:

Speaking of the Streets of Tomorrow...yes, my wife has been patiently waiting for the opportunity to test drive the Q7, even though she's leaning HEAVILY towards the LR3. So the test-drive has to just blow her away. (I know, I know, who wears the pants in this family anyway? We all know the answer to that...)

One thing working in my favor would be the apparent lease rates on the Q7. Seeing a money factor around .0015, which is very aggressive, no?!?

Ok, now for the 3 1/2 week wait for the test drive....
:doh:

rheudabaga :cheers: ,

Nice to hear from you. Well, the "mere" S4 Avant will do you fine, a fantastic car for sure. Yeah, seeing the occassional RS 4 driving by on the street won't help, but trust me, they won't be a common sight.;)

Tell Mrs. to please be patient. At least give the Q7 a test drive. Then, if she doesn't like it, by all means, get the LR3. As for who wears the pants... I have no room (or right) to comment on that one. I made the choice long before I ever was married to go for a hardcore traditional women that never would give me lip or grief, and would let me do whatever I want as long as I treat her right. Best decision I ever made.:D However, had I gone for a "modern" US girl, I'm afraid I'd be on a boat, all too cramped!:D

I'm no lease expert, but the .0015 you mention is pretty good, no? How's that compare with Land Rover's?

rheudabaga
April 11th, 2006, 17:07
Benman,

Truth be told, my wife gives me a pretty long leash, so when she steps up with a preference I owe it to her to let the decisions be 'mutual'...especially when it's the vehicle that she'll be driving!

LR3 money factor is around .0025 or so, which is around 5%. Not bad, but not the 2.7% of the Q7.

The S4 is still going to be a nice improvement over our current larger S6.

Benman
April 11th, 2006, 17:10
Benman,

Truth be told, my wife gives me a pretty long leash...

A rose (leash) by any other name... :trash: :D LOL! Just kiddin! Feel the same about my Mrs. She deserves it like you said!

So... the Q7 may have better rates than the LR3? Very nice, should prove well for resale!

Question: Are you selling the larger S6 Avant only because you're already going to have a larger (Q7/LR3) family vehicle?

rheudabaga
April 11th, 2006, 18:43

Question: Are you selling the larger S6 Avant only because you're already going to have a larger (Q7/LR3) family vehicle?

Yes, that was the thinking. I've loved the S6 (it's no RS6, but it is a hoot and I love the stealth/utility of the Avant) and there's really no reason to dump it, but:

A. it's fun to get new cars:hahahehe:

B. i generally shy away from owning cars beyond the warranty period because i hate having to deal with the whole maintenance dance...

C. as much as i love the S6, the S4 is quite a bit more nimble and fun to drive. (no RS4 references here, please :cry: )

D. 95% of the time it's me and maybe one other person in this car (plus bikes on top!), so the S6 is kinda overkill

E. yes, the wife's car (LR3 or Q7) becomes the kid hauler. she doesn't want to keep the S6 for herself because it's not quite big enough :vhmmm: even though it has the rear facing jump seat (which makes us both nervous...not sure how safe that is). she's right though, she does cart a bunch of kids around and her baby jogger, kid bikes, trikes, etc... As much as I hate the hole Big American SUV thing, the utility of it is hard to deny. True, we could get a minvan :nono: Scratch that.

Benman
April 11th, 2006, 20:20

A. it's fun to get new cars:hahahehe:

E. True, we could get a minvan :nono: Scratch that.

Yep, new stuff is cool.

Minivans... not so cool.

The rear seat in the S6 is so cool. I wish they still had that in the new A6 avants! Awesome. As for safety, its no more "unsafe" than a rear facing child seat. Same difference. Sad to see it go.

Audihead
April 11th, 2006, 21:23
Signed up for Chi-Town to drive the RS4 some more!:applause: :rs4addict

Benman
April 11th, 2006, 21:42
Originally posted by Audihead
Signed up for Chi-Town to drive the RS4 some more!:applause: :rs4addict
:thumb:

They mention having one at the LA event. Hopefully will get to go for a spin...

rheudabaga
April 12th, 2006, 04:46
In the name of matrimonial harmony, we've gone with the LR3. In spite of really wanting the Q7, I'm excited about the LR3. I know my wife will be really happy with it.

Now, if I can only finagle my way back into the RS4...

Just kidding...:trash:

Benman
April 12th, 2006, 16:09

Just kidding...:trash:

LOL! Just four more weeks...

SoCal
April 18th, 2006, 09:05

LR3 money factor is around .0025 or so, which is around 5%. Not bad, but not the 2.7% of the Q7.

So why did she pick the LR3 over the Q7? A friend of mine is thinking seriously of a new larger SUV and I've been recommending the Q7. Just wondering what the thinking is.

Oh, for comparison of the lease rates you quoted, the .0025 mf equates to a 6% interest rate, and the .0015 mf on the Audi is akin to 3.6%. Pretty big difference. Both are pretty good rates, though the financing companies will make up the subsidy somewhere else in the lease terms or price, you can be sure.

Sorry to see the S6 go...enjoy your new S4 though. You can always mod it later to come closer to an RS4.

rheudabaga
April 18th, 2006, 16:05
Socal...

We went with the LR3 because it will be my wife's car and she prefers the look of it over the Q7. Not just the lines of the outside, mind you, but the whole package; interior feeling of 'utility' and ruggedness, etc. What can I say, she's from the boxy car school. :rolleyes:

It's a subjective thing and I understand her point. Being an Audi person myself, I still prefer the Q7. I will miss the performance benefits of the Q, but I won't be the one driving it everyday:hahahehe:

While the Q7 is in a whole other league of performance (or I expect it to be as we STILL haven't had the opportunity to drive one...part of the reason we're in the LR3 now), the LR3 is still a very nice vehicle. We also looked at the MDX and Pilot and the LR3 is a far more substantial vehicle than either of those, both in aesthetics and performance (Lexus GX and Volvo XC90 are also competitors, with 3rd row seats, but those make my wife want to vomit).

As I've said elsewhere, the LR3 better be a Sherman Tank in the snow. Our Audi is like a train in the fluffy stuff and I would expect nothing less from a vaunted off-roader like the LR3.

It's been a somewhat dissapointing round on the car front. I was really gunning for the RS4 and Q7. You can't have everything you want in life, yet 'settling' for the S4 Avant and LR3 is sure to win me no sympathy from those tooling around in Toyoto Camry's and Honda Odessey's!

Benman
April 18th, 2006, 16:15

You can't have everything you want in life, yet 'settling' for the S4 Avant and LR3 is sure to win me no sympathy from those tooling around in Toyoto Camry's and Honda Odessey's!

Amen to that. Its all about being content. And the level of wealth is all in the eye of the beholder.:thumb:

So Cal, even though you're not too interested in the Q7, do you think you might swing the Streets of Tomorrow event while its in LA?

And what about you rheudabaga, even though you went with the LR3 (a fine vehicle), will you go drive the Q7? You know, to show the Mrs. what she's missing? :D

rheudabaga
April 18th, 2006, 16:45
Yes, I'll try to go to the Streets of Tomorrow event...it'll be like going to an ex-girlfriend's wedding:heart:

Benman
April 18th, 2006, 16:48
Yes, I'll try to go to the Streets of Tomorrow event...it'll be like going to an ex-girlfriend's wedding:heart:
I wouldn't know, I wasn't invited to my ex-girlfriend's wedding.:trash: :D

SoCal
April 19th, 2006, 08:31
rheudabaga: Don't sweat it. You've got some pretty nice rides. No matter how much we spend on cars, there will always be another one to covet. And be glad you're wife is happy with her car, too. That's half the battle, maybe more. S4 and LR3--You're doing just fine and way better than most.

Ben: I checked out the Streets of Tomorrow event on line some time ago, but it didn't look that enticing. The PDC is a good venue and close by, but driving an SUV (even a Q7) or an RS4 (now that would be truly frustrating) around the parking lot and down Robertson or San Vicente in traffic.....well, let's just say I'd rather hit a friendly suburban Audi dealer on a weekend morning for a solo test drive and see what the cars can really do. Let me know if I missed something great, though. Maybe next time.

Any chance for a Greater LA RS6 meet?

Benman
April 19th, 2006, 17:15
Originally posted by SoCal

Ben: I checked out the Streets of Tomorrow event on line some time ago, but it didn't look that enticing. The PDC is a good venue and close by, but driving an SUV around the parking lot and down Robertson or San Vicente in traffic.....Let me know if I missed something great, though.

Any chance for a Greater LA RS6 meet?

I hear you loud and clear. Where I live, I don't have even HALF the traffic of that place (or the bad road quality), but, since roads near the PDC are bad, it will give the Mrs and I a chance to know if the 20"s are a big mistake. We already know cruising down the freeway will be nice, but how does it do when on crappy roads (and we all know major cities have plenty of those!!!:D ).

A RS 6 meet would be great. Just need to get Paul's car fixed and then we'll organize one!:thumb:

Benman
May 3rd, 2006, 18:12
Reviving this old thread as a reminder to those in the area. Its this weekend! The Mrs and I will be there Sunday morning (figured it'd be less crowded than Staurday).

BTW rheudabaga, how's the LR3? Hopefully it makes the Mrs happy! :thumb:

rheudabaga
May 3rd, 2006, 18:19
Hey Benman,

The LR3 is quite nice. The lady is like a pig in slop. She just loves it. It does feel quite solid and well-built. It drives heavy yet remains well-mannered. The feature set is impressive and so far :rolleyes: everything works.

I'm driving from Chicago to Indy and back this weekend, so I'm excited to run it through it's paces a bit, even though I won't be able to really get on the throttle since it has only 47 miles on the odometer.

I'm still going to the event, just out of curiosity.

My S4 Avant is supposed to arrive at the dealer in the beginning of June.
:dance:

Benman
May 3rd, 2006, 18:28
Hey Benman,

The lady is like a pig in slop.

Might want to edit that part of your post before the Mrs sees it! LOL! :D

My S4 Avant is supposed to arrive at the dealer in the beginning of June.
:dance: Congrats!:thumb:

Let me know how the Chicago event goes.:cheers:

s42ski
May 7th, 2006, 01:59
Just got back from the event - it was quite fun - the kids thought it was fun!

AOA did a nice job

Most impressive car at the event was the S8 with the B&O sound system WOW!

The RS4 :rs4addict'
was a ride along only, :( , they did not let you drive it. They had professional drivers from the Audi driving experience to handle that "chore". Also, being in West Hollywood limits the amount of fast driving one can do.

One interesting point, in car jaded LA the RS4 got a lot of looks along Hollywood blvd. Of course the one I was in was yellow!

For my tastes, the RS4 was too much of a race car for a daily driver. Especially in LA traffic. No flames and yes I am getting old etc. etc. ':rs6kiss:'

Oh yeah the Q7 - had a nice drive with it - kids loved the suspension that could change the car height on the fly as well as the sunroof, climate control etc. It drove very nice, although - I want the diesel!! I even asked one of the techs there about it. He said give it two years.

Benman
May 7th, 2006, 06:40
s42ski,

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to tomorrow!:thumb:

rheudabaga
May 8th, 2006, 01:38
...this is a anti-climactic match, because I caved last weekend and the wife got the LR3. We drove it 3 hours to the grandparents this weekend and all-in-all I'm very impressed with it.

So today, just for grins and to also sit in the RS4, we went to the Chicago event. The Q7 performed as expected. It drives more like a car than the LR3. However, the difference wasn't as dramatic as I expected it to be. While the Q7's steering is much lighter around the city and the car feels a bit more nimble, you still feel the weight of it. It's no wagon, in that regard. The exhaust note is quite nice, however. The LR3 downplays that angle.

In the end, it comes down to aesthetics. The LR3 stikes a more truck-like/utilitarian pose, the Q7 is more of the luxury/performance machine.

The LR3 ain't bad though. It's actually a little more well-mannered at taking the bumps than the Q7 (I think the one I drove had the 20-inchers), and cruising at speed is pretty effortless. While I was trying to keep it around 70mph before we crossed the 500 mile point, I found myself going 90 a couple of times without realizing it. The engine handles that speed without straining at all. And passing acceleration is adequate.

Anyhow, if you're considering the Q7 and you like to drive. Do it! If you're leaning towards the LR3, for whatever reason, it's not a bad route to go either.

Benman
May 8th, 2006, 02:51
rheudabaga:cheers: ,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the LR3.:thumb: Mrs finally got to drive the Q7 and I'll write up a full review with pics.:thumb:

May 12th, 2006, 12:24
Originally posted by s42ski
Just got back from the event - it was quite fun - the kids thought it was fun!

AOA did a nice job

Most impressive car at the event was the S8 with the B&O sound system WOW!

The RS4 :rs4addict'
was a ride along only, :( , they did not let you drive it. They had professional drivers from the Audi driving experience to handle that "chore". Also, being in West Hollywood limits the amount of fast driving one can do.

One interesting point, in car jaded LA the RS4 got a lot of looks along Hollywood blvd. Of course the one I was in was yellow!

For my tastes, the RS4 was too much of a race car for a daily driver. Especially in LA traffic. No flames and yes I am getting old etc. etc. ':rs6kiss:'

Oh yeah the Q7 - had a nice drive with it - kids loved the suspension that could change the car height on the fly as well as the sunroof, climate control etc. It drove very nice, although - I want the diesel!! I even asked one of the techs there about it. He said give it two years.

It looks like we were in the same car as I was in the Yellow one, too. Where abouts in Redondo are you?

That was the first time I was able to drive the Q7 and I really liked it. It was very easy to drive, too. I'm still about 7 weeks out on my delivery, though.

s42ski
May 12th, 2006, 16:18
It looks like we were in the same car as I was in the Yellow one, too. Where abouts in Redondo are you?

South Redondo - I have a mugello blue RS6

I am going to take a wild guess that you have a Porsche 911 ?

Benman
May 12th, 2006, 16:46

Welcome to the forum.:thumb: Glad to hear you liked the Q7. Its really not too shabby for an SUV.;) :D

7 weeks out? Good to hear. You'll be taking delivery of yours before we do so let us know how you like it.

Yep, the yellow RS 4 sure got around.;)

May 12th, 2006, 17:34
Originally posted by s42ski

South Redondo - I have a mugello blue RS6

I am going to take a wild guess that you have a Porsche 911 ?

Looks like we are not that far from each other. Someday I'd like to see your RS6 since I've never seen one in person. Yes, I have a '96 911 (993 C4S).

Benman - I will definitely let everyone here know how my Q7 is once it arrives! When is yours arriving?

Thanks for the welcome, too.

Benman
May 12th, 2006, 17:37
Originally posted by 911
When is yours arriving?

Hoping for late August/ early September delivery. Should be among the very first S Lines to make it Stateside.:thumb:

May 12th, 2006, 17:50
Hoping for late August/ early September delivery. Should be among the very first S Lines to make it Stateside.:thumb:

S-Line?!?! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Congrats! I LOVE those rims! What color did you get?

Benman
May 12th, 2006, 17:57
Originally posted by 911
S-Line?!?! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Congrats! I LOVE those rims! What color did you get?
Daytona Grey to match the :rs6kiss: :D

SoCal
May 12th, 2006, 20:45
Looking forward to the picture of your THREE Audis all in a row. All nice rides.

Benman
May 12th, 2006, 20:48
Originally posted by SoCal
Looking forward to the picture of your THREE Audis all in a row. All nice rides.

Yeah, we'll have to put the red S4 in the middle, to break up the sea of grey...;)

UrQ
May 16th, 2006, 02:08

Welcome to the forum.:thumb: Glad to hear you liked the Q7. Its really not too shabby for an SUV.;) :D

7 weeks out? Good to hear. You'll be taking delivery of yours before we do so let us know how you like it.

Yep, the yellow RS 4 sure got around.;)

Mine is sitting at port now waiting to be released June 12 (or so).

Benman
May 16th, 2006, 18:58
Originally posted by UrQ
Mine is sitting at port now waiting to be released June 12 (or so).

Let us know how you like it once you take delivery.:thumb: