PDA

View Full Version : Paging MiniMad - we need Bilstein Followup

Aronis
April 10th, 2006, 15:14
Hi MiniMad,

Any follow up info on your RS6 with PSS9 system?

Any problems?

Likes?

Dislikes?

Thank you very much.

Mike

TaTaPiRaTa
April 11th, 2006, 20:35
Yes we need it.

I'm just considering to put Bilstein on my Beast (DRC not functional).

:addict:

minimad
April 13th, 2006, 12:01
already the second week with PSS9, no problem at all. No noise, no rubbing, sure footed......now setting @ front 4, rear 4. very very satisfied with this system.
I tried another PSS9 on RS4 few days ago, it's a totally different feeling from the one on my beast. The PSS9 on RS6 is not harsh at all compare to the RS4.
Now I acclerate better and stabler, less scary than DRC system. Also cut the corner nimbler than before. More body roll than DRC, but not harsh, it's very pleasing and fun.
I always enjoy the exhaust sounding of RS6, nowadays I have one more thing to enjoy - the ride quality. so I drive my beast more and more and being very happy with the decision of replacing the DRC system.

TaTaPiRaTa
April 13th, 2006, 14:00
Thx for info.

Do you need anything but rise the car to change settings of shocks? I mean can you do it with wheels on?

What are the road conditions where you drive ?

thx again and have fun.

I just orderd mine PSS9 ;)

:rs6kiss:

Aronis
April 13th, 2006, 14:37
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
Thx for info.

Do you need anything but rise the car to change settings of shocks? I mean can you do it with wheels on?

thx again and have fun.

Who is doing the install? Audi Dealer? Aftermarket? Self?

I am trying to get a copy of the installation manual that comes with them, the guy at Bilstein was supposed to email me yesterday, but nothing....yet....

I want to do it myself....

Mike

minimad
April 14th, 2006, 08:06
Thx for info.

thx again and have fun.

No need to do anything but rise the car, the front one is straightforward to access, the rear one is also accessible by bare hand but very difficult to read the figure, so you need a mirror to see it, that's all.

Road condition? um...... let me put this way, I ruinned two wheels in two months on my two cars, how do you think?

BTW, what's the model number you ordered?

minimad
April 14th, 2006, 08:11
Originally posted by Aronis
Who is doing the install? Audi Dealer? Aftermarket? Self?

I am trying to get a copy of the installation manual that comes with them, the guy at Bilstein was supposed to email me yesterday, but nothing....yet....

I want to do it myself....

Mike

Hi! Mike, the MTM Taiwan distributor installed them for me. The PSS9 itself is not that difficult to put on, but how to disconnect the DRC system may become more complicate issue, so you may need another manual of how to properly disassemable the DRC.

Vegasguy
April 14th, 2006, 08:55
Originally posted by minimad
No need to do anything but rise the car, the front one is straightforward to access, the rear one is also accessible by bare hand but very difficult to read the figure, so you need a mirror to see it, that's all.

I have the PSS9's on the Porsche and found after a few times that the best way to do it is to count clicks. I just go all the way one direction and then count clicks until I get the number I want.
That way I don't need to lift the car or get a mirror out. First time you do it with the car lifted, write down the direction you need to turn it to adjust, do not go by memory.
(let's not ask why I know that) :vhmmm:

Pete

TaTaPiRaTa
April 14th, 2006, 12:34

BTW, what's the model number you ordered?

F4-GM5-8868-H0 :rs6kiss:

TaTaPiRaTa
April 14th, 2006, 12:47
......., so you may need another manual of how to properly disassemable the DRC.

Does anybody have such manual?
My dealer was so bad in servicing the DRC, so I would like to see myslef if they CAN disconnect it properly....

Aronis
April 14th, 2006, 14:38
Apparently there is no such written instructions on how to disassemble the DRC, who would read it anyway?

Just kidding, or....am I?

LOL

If you disconnect the shocks at the junction there is a check valve so the rest of the system stays pressurized as well as the shocks themselves. So when you remove the shocks you can keep them all set to go for a re-install.

My dealer did a spring change for height adjustment for a customer in the Albany area - I'd love to talk to that guy. Then then changed it back to stock, so I assume they were successful at uninstalling and then reinstalling the DRC shocks without a leak problem and apparently the car was back to stock performance....so where is the missing link????? I still don't know....they will figure it out soon.

I'm going with the theory that the setting in the 'manual' for pressure in the system is not as high as what was actually done in the factory, because if all the parts are the same (including the type of fluid) then what else could be different.

Mike

minimad
April 22nd, 2006, 17:51
TaTaPiRaTa, have your PSS9 on your beast? Please update.

TaTaPiRaTa
April 23rd, 2006, 23:25
TaTaPiRaTa, have your PSS9 on your beast? Please update.

Not yet!

Waiting time 2 months :(

Vegasguy
April 24th, 2006, 10:38
Not yet!

Waiting time 2 months :(

What for? Parts or mechanic?

Pete

TaTaPiRaTa
April 24th, 2006, 18:59
Parts :hihi:

buzz
April 24th, 2006, 22:23
Hi Guys,

Where to order those Bilstein PSS9? and is there a way these are shipped internationally. If someone can provide full details on where to order from (a name of a dealer) and where they are located, then probably I can manage the rest as I'm suffering from suspension issues too.

Is this the part number (F4-GM5-8868-H0)

Thanks
Buzz

Vegasguy
April 25th, 2006, 05:53
Parts :hihi:

Well that sucks! Have you tried multiple sources? (he asks this not knowing the Bilstien situation in europe)

Pete

TaTaPiRaTa
April 25th, 2006, 19:47
They produce it in Germany from time to time for this model of the car.
Next manufacturing is scheduled in late May.

Thus we wait.

Vegasguy
April 25th, 2006, 20:43
Got it!

Pete

Aronis
April 27th, 2006, 18:03
I spoke with Bilstein (twice) about the part number for the RS6.

They say is the: GM5-8868-HO (same kit for A6 (any engine), S6, RS6.) number. Their PDF file does not show the RS6, but he assured me it was the right kit.

Another Reseller had it listed with an extra digit on the end, I forget what, but Bilstein has NO info on that part number difference and the price was the same.

Now my question to AOA was will the shocks from a regular S6 (AKA A6 2.7 TT, or the S6 Avant 2002 m.y.) fit in my RS6. They would not varify this. But most likely they would and although they may not be as good as the DRC system, it would be far better than a disfuctional DRC. And it would be EOM Audi Parts...
But not EOM RS6 parts...boy they are sticklers on that point.

I found a nice M3 install page for the PSS9, nice write up with pictures, I can do it myself.

Mike

Vegasguy
April 27th, 2006, 21:32
Since you have to wait so long have you thought about other options?

http://www.stasisengineering.com/audi_rs6_c5_suspension.html

Or maybe getting a set from the US? Someone else is bound to have a set.

Pete

buzz
April 28th, 2006, 13:12
Hi All,

I will be receiving my PSS9 Bilstein next week.

Now someone mentioned professionally removing the DRC. Any thing tricky I need to know about? other than the four shocks, the central valves and the lines. anything else?

Thanks

buzz:rs6kiss:

Aronis
April 28th, 2006, 13:15
Leave central valves and main tubing alone.

The Shocks have a 1 foot long tube with a check valve at the connection so that the fluid will not leak from the shock or the rest of the system.
Disconnect there, leave shocks on shelf for change back if needed.
Need to disconnect the sensor arm for the auto leveling head lights and reconnect.
watch for certain bolt up front not to be loosened (or have to do a new alignment).
I have the pages printed at home will bring in and perhaps can fax them to you.
Mike

buzz
April 28th, 2006, 15:59
Hi Mike,

Many thanks, See your PM.

Buzz