PDA

View Full Version : FSI 4.2 litre V-8 engine

tailpipe
April 6th, 2006, 17:58
A detuned version of the RS4's engine is already available in the Q7 and I've just heard that it will soon replace the old 5-valve 4.2 litre V-8 in the S4, A6 and A8 models.

Developing around 350 bhp, the new standard 4.2 litre FSI V8 is a fantastically flexible and reliable engine. While the sound isn't quite as electrifying as it is in the RS4, it's not bad noise at all, especially under heavy acceleration in the Q7.

The good news about this motor is that it delivers a very healthy amount of torque (400+ Nm)and is quite a bit more frugal than the current 4.2 V-8. It also meets more stringent emission requirements. I hate to say this, but IMHO the new FSI V8 in a standard A6 or A8 s probably a better option than the V-10 in the S6 and S8 models. You get 90% of the performance for a significantly lower price. Of course, it isn't ultimately as powerful, but should still deliver sub-six second 0-100 kph times.

Most of you proably know all this stuff already, but does anyone know when this engine will actually be fitted into these models?

nene
April 6th, 2006, 18:06
Those sound like great news.

One thing you fail to observe is that the V10 FSI on the S6/S8 is somewhat detuned, while the V8 FSI is probably close to being maxed out. The upward potential of the V10 is great, in the hands of the right Euro tuner.

Great news for Audi either way!

tailpipe
April 6th, 2006, 18:35
Nene,

You are, of course, right as always. But if a standard V-10 FSI consumes gas at the same level as a highly-tuned RS4 V-8 FSI, (and their fuel consumption profiles are quite similar), then a highly-tuned V-10 will probably have fuel guage indicator that does double duty as an air conditioning fan!

nene
April 6th, 2006, 21:52
Very good point indeed. The only thing that bothers me is that if anyone is worried about fuel consumption, and granted I'm sure the majority of folks are to one level or another, maybe a V8 or V10 should not be in the radar.
At the very least, if the person gets it, make sure not to make that car a daily driver. Maybe a weekend car or something special of sorts.

It's not about being right. You certainly made an extreme good point about the V8. Heck, currently the 4.2 V8 is pretty thirsty. With the FSI technology, we may be getting better miles/gallon, or simply more HP/Torque.

FSI and 4 valves/cylinder seems to be the way to go these days. Usually what I look for in a car is performance to good looks ratio. Always looking for a good balance, while keeping reliability as high as possible.

If we only knew the details why the V10 on the S6! I can see how it makes sense on the S8. Maybe the S6 is really the M5 competitor in Audi's vision. I can't wait to see these beasts in person. Very exciting future.

On a side note, Wall Street is very happy that Exxon made something like $340 Billion last fiscal year. Now we know why gas prices are so high.

JavierNuvolari
April 6th, 2006, 22:06
Originally posted by tailpipe
Nene,

then a highly-tuned V-10 will probably have fuel guage indicator that does double duty as an air conditioning fan!

HAHAHA...funny stuff...and of course, I believe you're right.

Cheers,

Javier

gjg
April 11th, 2006, 21:32

A detuned version of the RS4's engine is already available in the Q7

Any way to tune the Q7 version up?

AndyBG
April 12th, 2006, 02:55
... but does anyone know when this engine will actually be fitted into these models?

After Paris motor show, i presume.

Leadfoot
April 12th, 2006, 19:27
Was in the dealers today and while seeing about the TT, got the talking about the R8. I was told it will get an uprated version of the 4.2L from the RS4, 430-435bhp and the V10 will have no more than 480bhp at the start. They have already took orders!!! and that's with no RRP.