PDA

View Full Version : Is the new TT getting S3 engine?

Leadfoot
April 4th, 2006, 15:54
I spoke to the local dealer and was told the TT will get the 2.0T FSI engine, but not the one which is going into the new S3.

Have anyone hear this or anything different.

Does this mean it's going to have less or more power?

I know the 2.0T engine will be better from a handling point of view than the 3.2V6, but it will need to have more than a GTI at least.

Iceman
April 4th, 2006, 18:52
The 200 hp 2.0 litre Turbo FSI engine have a K03 turbo.
The 260 hp 2.0 litre Turbo FSI S3 engine have a K04 turbo what is making the difference of 60 hp.
The new TT will have the K03 version.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 4th, 2006, 21:47
Iceman, I take it from your reply the TT will not get anything better than the 3.2L at the minute. Do you not think Audi are missing an opportunity to distance the 2.0T FSI TT from the GTI. Lets face it, the 2.0T will be quite a bit dearer than the GTI with not alot more than better clothes and 4 wheel drive and the 3.2L will only have the former against the R32.

I thought Audi was the performance branch of VW and so taking the fight to BMW as the best performance main stream manufacturer in Germany?

Please tell me there is a silver lining, I'am looking at changing the S4 to the new TT and I don't want to drop to much in the performance front. The wife's RX90 diesel won't provide that now will it.

Iceman
April 4th, 2006, 22:41
First of all the 2.0T FSI 200 hp TT Mk2 will from the start only be availeble with FWD in combination with either a 6speed manual or DSG gearbox.
The 3.2 V6 will only be availeble as a 4WD Quattro with either a 6speed manual or DSG Quattro gearbox.
On the performance site of things the TT will be made in a composite construction of steel and aluminium.
The new TT body will be up to 35% ligther than for example a steel Golf or old TT mk1 body.
There is a possibility that the Audi TT 2.0T FSI Quattro that will be introduced later can have a 260-300 hp S3 engine.
This car can be called TTS or TT QS.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 6th, 2006, 10:39
Iceman, thanks for that, but I am looking to change in 2007. Will the TTS be out by then?

Iceman
April 6th, 2006, 16:43
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Iceman, thanks for that, but I am looking to change in 2007. Will the TTS be out by then?
Not clear yet.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 7th, 2006, 20:08
Iceman, do you know what the weight difference is between the two complete cars, the old 3.2L TT and the new, you said 35% which I took as the difference between the two basic shells. The R32 gets from 0-100mph in about 15 seconds and it's over 1500Kgs, I hope the TT will knock at least a second or more off it's time.

Iceman
April 7th, 2006, 20:13
Iceman, do you know what the weight difference is between the two complete cars, the old 3.2L TT and the new, you said 35% which I took as the difference between the two basic shells. The R32 gets from 0-100mph in about 15 seconds and it's over 1500Kgs, I hope the TT will knock at least a second or more off it's time.

The weight of the new TT 3.2 Quattro is 1.410 Kg that's 110 Kg lighter than the old TT Mk1 3.2 Quattro.

Hans.

tailpipe
April 7th, 2006, 21:08
Iceman Hans,

You haven't given us your opinion on the new TT yet. Are you pleased with it? What do you think about the spec, styling, engineering details and interior design?

We need to know.

Leadfoot
April 7th, 2006, 22:27
Iceman,

Audi Uk talk about a great use of alloy into the construction of which most is used at the front for better weight balance. Whats the percentage front to rear. Also they don't say if it's got the new 40/60 split in the quattro system, whats the word on that?

They quote a 0-62kph of 5.7secs not bad and compares quite well with the Boxster S and the Cayman S and all for 10K less than the Cayman. Its got my vote.

Leadfoot
April 8th, 2006, 08:53
Sorry, I meant 0-62mph in 5.7 seconds.

Iceman
April 13th, 2006, 01:17
Originally posted by tailpipe
Iceman Hans,

You haven't given us your opinion on the new TT yet. Are you pleased with it? What do you think about the spec, styling, engineering details and interior design?

We need to know.
The new TT Mk2 is awesome, the car have realy matured.
Styling, engineering details (Audi ASF 69% aluminium 31% steel, is in the rear) and interior styling are great.
The power split is still a little bid fogy, but according to "AMuS" is it rear bias. :confused:
Specs are a little bid disappointing IMHO, max 250 hp :doh: at the moment.
But according to German "Auto Motor und Sport" there will be a TTS that will have a 265 hp 2.0 litre FSI K04 turbo engine. (S3)
This car (TTS) will weight ± 1365 kg and is easy tuneble to ± 320 hp.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 13th, 2006, 09:53
Iceman,

Was there any time scale on the TTS, I have pre-ordered for March 2007, though I would like to have 3.2L because of quattro, if the TTS was ready by then, it would be the one I would go with.

Iceman
April 13th, 2006, 19:06
Iceman,

Was there any time scale on the TTS, I have pre-ordered for March 2007, though I would like to have 3.2L because of quattro, if the TTS was ready by then, it would be the one I would go with.
There is not yet a time scale for the TTS.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2006, 00:40
Iceman,

:mech: Is anyone tuning the new 3.2L engine yet. With the weight saving 20-30bhp would make quite a difference to the performance. Would a chip give this hike on it's own? :vhmmm:

Some say it's still like old Haldex system, but dealer insists that it's rear bias eg. 40/60 split. What have you heard?

PS

Read the bit posted about the RS6 mk2 sounds like it will be an animal.:MTM:

Iceman
April 14th, 2006, 18:23
Iceman,

:mech: Is anyone tuning the new 3.2L engine yet. With the weight saving 20-30bhp would make quite a difference to the performance. Would a chip give this hike on it's own? :vhmmm:
Some say it's still like old Haldex system, but dealer insists that it's rear bias eg. 40/60 split. What have you heard?

There are a few possible tuning options for 3.2 litre.

"Dr Schrick camshafts" the hp will go up with 10-15 hp also the torque will go up with 10-15 Nm.
"Dr Schrick camshafts + chip = ± 275-285 hp
"Wendland" volume upgrade to 3.4 litre + chip + camshafts and exhaust = 310 hp.
But for the kind of money for the Wendland 3.4 kit you can also have a direct to manifold HGP turbo systen with ± 360 hp.

Hans.

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2006, 20:44
3.2L sounds like alot of money for little gain. So best bet must be wait for the S3 engine, hopefully next year sometime and tune it. Anyway the lighter engine surely must help with the handling.

Thanks all the same.