PDA

View Full Version : How Firm is your RS6 Suspension?

Aronis
April 2nd, 2006, 13:16
I need some input from RS6 drivers.

From my best recollection (perhaps I am wrong) my RS6 suspension was very firm before the DRC leak. I recall when leaning on the car (washing it, etc) that the car was very diffucult to move up and down as it was quite firm.

When compaired to an S4 I looked at in the dealer showroom, that is the type of firmness I recall my car having.

Am I all wrong? Is the RS6 supposed to be so easy to bounce up and down?

I just compaired it to my Dad's M5 yesterday, and you can stand on the fender of the M5 and it barely moves!!!

Now for you Suspension Experts (racers, etc) what gives the suspension that stiff-lack of movement feeling - is it the springs alone (with shocks just damping the fast movements) or a combination of the two (and if the shocks are still not quite right it would be soft).?

Thank you all for you patience with me.

Mike

:race:

s42ski
April 2nd, 2006, 16:32
Mike, just went out and washed the car and tried the old test ( stood on the rear bumper and tried to bounce the car ) I could not move it more than 1 or 1.5 inches - I am about 200 lbs so you get the idea - STIFF - if you can move it as easily as you say with your hands something is still not correct - that sucks :w:

Hy Octane
April 2nd, 2006, 21:20
Yep. Same deal here Mike..
After they replaced the entire system, my car now sits about 1 inch higher in the rear and maybe 3/4 inch higher in the front.. If I push on the front I get about 3 rebounds whereas before I got one.. The front seems to be softer than the rears but still we now have lean dive and squat to deal with which was never there before.. result is the handling is way off.. added lean in corners causing understeer and the whole car seems to be very springy in regular driving.. Exactly like my 2003 4.2 sport was..
Either AoA changed something in the parts or the techs here dont have the total information they need to install them correctly..

I suspect as more fail and are replaced, we will hear more complaints and eventually, Audi will have to do something to address these problems..

gregoryindiana
April 2nd, 2006, 21:28
Just the way I like it.

Sorry for news; I still don't think yours is right if you have that kind of motion.

Resistance to initial motion is springs;

Damping of motion is combo of shocks (and DRC), along with tires, hysteresis is I think what they call it. Friction in the rubber sidewalls. That is with car moving. Sitting should be all shocks systems.

And DRC should be working just the same with car off, as purely a mechanical system.

Aronis
April 3rd, 2006, 00:23
I am beginning to suspect that the pressure was set higher in the factory, but the 'spec' is written lower????

It's drivable, but yes, more like a regular A6 than an S car.

Oh well, at least I have it back, the 450 hp makes up for the spongy ride.

Mike

chutia
April 3rd, 2006, 00:32
Pretty stiff. Actually, both the rear and front suspensions "thud" quite a bit even over just very minor bumps; the steering systems groans and feels like something is loose coming dead off-center (certainly hope it is not). I'll push on the front and back and report back to this thread tomorrow. Any experience w/ the steering sytem groaning?

chutia
April 3rd, 2006, 15:17
follow-up to my last message: neither the rear nor the front suspensions have much more than a 1" +/- travel when compressed at rest on my car.

Benman
April 3rd, 2006, 15:36
Originally posted by gregoryindiana
Just the way I like it.

Sorry for news; I still don't think yours is right if you have that kind of motion.

Mike and Paul,

I agree. Your suspension can't be right if its doing that! Mine's stiff, stiff, stiff.

Paul, you live close enough for a get together back to back drive to make sure. But I already know the outcome. Side note, I'll have the Beast at the H Sport meet this Saturday up your way, so if a back to back drive is what you'd like...

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
April 3rd, 2006, 15:41
Originally posted by Benman
... Mine's stiff, stiff, stiff...

Did you make it that ''STIFF'', or...?

Benman
April 3rd, 2006, 15:48
Originally posted by AndyBG
Did you make it that ''STIFF'', or...?

No, don't want to confuse anyone. Its stiff right from the factory. Its "stiff, stiff, stiff" compared to a "normally" sprung car.

Mike and Paul sound like they got Lincoln Town Cars compared to the way its supposed to be. From the factory, these cars are close to Porsche levels of stiffness and are not a "comfy" kind of ride. Not jarring, but not a "cruise mobile" if you know what I mean.

AndyBG
April 3rd, 2006, 15:56
That is just the way it should be, in my opinion, and that is the reason for my confusion wehn i read these posts about ''flubber'' riding RS 6s.

Is it possible that Audi changed setup that ''radical'' and is it possible that you can't setup the car the way it was before

THE WAY YOU WANT?

chutia
April 3rd, 2006, 16:12
can confirm that mine is definitely NOT a comfy kind of ride. The suspension and body "thuds" quite a bit over even minor, minor road undulations. Having not driven another one of these cars, I cannot comment what is "normal" or "factory."

Aronis
April 3rd, 2006, 18:41
At this point I am going to wait until others go through this process of "Repair" before I make any more waves.

Clearly it's not back to the original spec, but at least it feels stable on the roads and no longer has any strange behavior.

I am mounting the new summer tires this week or next (have to find time to go to get them at the dealer.)

The most frustrating thing is that when you stand next to the car with the service guy and push on the fender and it moves easily they think I'M CRAZY.

If this was a Corvette, the mechanic would most likely be a Corvette junkie like the driver, but here it's a High End Audi in a devision which has little experience with repairing sports cars, I suspect the level of trainging for the S cars is not the same as for the M cars, at least in my prior experience.

It will do for now...when the real recall comes out, I'll get back in line.

Mike

aussie rs6
April 3rd, 2006, 19:27
my suspension definitely very firm as per benmans and chutias description.

You definitely cannot push down the front or rear suspension by hand. You will dent the fender first!

Not as firm as a friends 2004 porsche carrera that I recently drove down hardy toll road in houston with spine jarring thud on every concrete join.

only thing wife does not like about the car is the very firm ride. She much preferred the previous jaguar xjr ride which is boat like in comparison with RS6. An E55 AMG adjustable suspension would keep her happy although introduces another layer of electronic complexity to the vehicle. Does provide a comfortable mercedes type ride on the "cruise" setting from my experience driving houston friends E55 AMG over some of the less than desirable road surfaces in Houston. You cannot be everything to everyone is the obvious lesson here unless you resort to electronic trickery a la mercedes and bmw.

minimad posted pss9 switch over experience may be a solution if more compliant ride required without too much/any? sacrifice of road holding.

:addict: :rs6kiss:

chutia
April 10th, 2006, 18:57
Aronis-
You are RIGHT ON, bro!! You have absoutely described the situation in the US and Audi USA. They send these wonderful, sychophantic letters to new owers regarding how fabulous and nonpariel their "CPO" is and their attention to detail and customer satisfaction is.....but the REAL fact is that their technicians simply are NOT trained nor informed adequately regarding this particular model. I do believe that Audi's intention are genuine (no reason for it to be otherwise; Audi't management is savvy and no doubt takes great pride in their cars and especially their top-line cars). The Japanese have taught ALL the global automakers how to make and service reliable cars. As in all things in life, the first thing is to not be in denial and be open and honest; then fix the problem. Everyone who owns this car knows that this is a limited production, scarce car that is highly stressed and strung; the DRC, steering, engine cooling, etc are well-known and documented issues with this car. It's still one hell of a car when she's running and a complete thriller. Just fade the excuses and fix the problems and Audi will have happy customers. Easier said than done???

Aronis
April 19th, 2006, 02:27
Originally posted by Aronis
I am beginning to suspect that the pressure was set higher in the factory, but the 'spec' is written lower????

Mike

You Saw it HERE FIRST.

Mike

SoCal
April 19th, 2006, 06:44
Originally posted by Benman
Mike and Paul,

I agree. Your suspension can't be right if it's doing that! Mine's stiff, stiff, stiff.

Paul, you live close enough for a get together back to back drive to make sure. But I already know the outcome. Side note, I'll have the Beast at the H Sport meet this Saturday up your way, so if a back to back drive is what you'd like...

Mike, I agree. Your car sounds off after the repair. Maybe different than factory spec. Mine is still factory and stiff as can be. All stock and under 15k miles on the clock (which is damn near embarassing on an '03 car -- gotta drive more). Push on the fender with your hand and nothing moves. Come to a stop -- even a hard stop -- and brake properly, and you get very little forward pitch.

LA's many potholes are HIGHLY noticeable in the Beast, even with care. Not unbearable -- this is a nicely balanced sport sedan, after all, not a true sports car -- but not soft or springy either. Not extreme, but the RS6 certainly lets you know whatever it passed over, then settles down immediately with little or no bounce. Not nearly as jarring as on my modded RX-7 (Konis with coilovers on a light rice-rocket may be nice on the track, but on the street in that car my spine feels like cracking -- hence the Audi "daily driver").

If you didn't get a chance to compare your car to Ben's at the So Cal Audi Club event and want to compare with mine, PM me. I'm close by too and happy to help.

Benman
April 19th, 2006, 15:54
Originally posted by SoCal
All stock and under 15k miles on the clock (which is damn near embarassing on an '03 car -- gotta drive more).

LA's many potholes are HIGHLY noticeable in the Beast

Not at all. 15K? Just think of the excellent resale!:D

Yes, you know when you're on a crappy road.:bigeyes:

And yes Mike, we heard it here first. :thumb:

Aronis
June 6th, 2006, 23:44
I think we need to revisit this question.

Today I dropped my car off for another attempt at the repair of the DRC.

On the lot to my delight was another RS6 for sale.

As I approached it I was hoping that the suspension on this car was as firm as I recall mine was.

When I pressed on the rear end I was shocked! It was easy to bounce, not quite as bad as my car, but certainly not like I recall. Then I checked the front, even softer!!!!

So am I crazy or is that RS6 also having a suspension problem.

Those of you with NORMAL suspension can you deflect the car easily by pushing down on the fender and does it rebound two or three times before settling down?

When I asked this before the answer was NO, firm as a board, etc.

So which is it? I need to se someone elses RS6 which is 'normal' to be sure.

I did have several drivers independantly drive my car (all by themselves) and they all said the suspension was messed up.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Benman
June 6th, 2006, 23:47
Originally posted by Aronis

Any thoughts?

Mike

I'm already positive on that one, but for you, I'll retest again tonight.;)

Hy Octane
June 7th, 2006, 00:02
Mine going in again as well next Monday..
Front has started bouncing again..

I was passed on Sunset Bl last night by an M3 (this is a road I drive daily which has some nice banked sweepers) and I gave chase.. Normally I should be right there around these turns, but last night The dammnd car almost came of the road (massive understeer and vertical movement) .. That was it..
No visable leak but dont have a lift..
Something has gome amuk again ..

Remember this..

Air compresses easily, Fluid does not..

So if your car is bouncing, its riding on air not fluid as intended..
Thats how you shut your Audi guy up when he tries to tell you its working fine..
More after the diagnosis trip on Monday..

BTW I'm going to Pacific Audi this time.. I spoke to them and they are 100% sure they do it right..we'll see..

In a funny twist, the heat power loss problem seems to be on hiatus so far.. not an incidence yet since the weather got warm.. maybe they accidentally fixed it while they were doing all that motor removal and installs.. shame if they did and we dont know what it was..

Benman
June 7th, 2006, 00:05
Actually, how about I mail both of you a VHS tape (since dealers are low tech and that is all they seem to have:trash: ) of me pushing on my car front and rear to show them what resistance a "Normal" RS 6 has? Sound Good?

Aronis
June 7th, 2006, 00:16
Cool..

I actually have a film clip of my car....was posted on my server, which I have not turned back on since moving this past weekend.

The trunk rebounds when I close it easily....I noticed the same on an A4 and A6 but not as pronounced.

The little subtle things help make some kind of measurement possible.

But the 'seat of the pants' is the best measurement....when the rear end feels like it is going to come around on a mild turn.......yikes...

Mike

aussie rs6
June 7th, 2006, 02:40
knock on wood, but suspension still firm on the RS6 at 38,000kms- too firm the wife would say.

I would strongly suggest that all RS6 owners place their car on a level concrete surface, measure the ride height from ground to underlip of guard for each wheel, taking a time dated photo of each measurement. Obviously record all other factors that siginificantly affect ride height such as the load in car, fuel tank level, tyre size and condition, etc

Then take a video clip showing the suspension rebound front and back when trying to depress a non dentable part of the car with a firm effort.

Obviously this procedure is not a 100% scientific control case but would provide some form of reference for peace of mind for the owner should DRC problems arise in the future.

Rest assure that when DRC problems arise from what I have read on this excellent site, the owners peace of mind will be gone and will then be directed at the relevant Audi service centre.

just my 10 cents worth:rs6kiss: :addict: :addict:

Benman
June 7th, 2006, 06:13
Originally posted by aussie rs6

I would strongly suggest that all RS6 owners place their car on a level concrete surface...

Good points but video already made and ready to ship to Mike...:trash: Missed a couple but should be enough for Mike's purposes (hopefully). And yeah, on level surface (garage floor).

Mike, send me your address via PM and I'll ship it tomorrow. If you like, I'll next day the sucker.:thumb: