PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love the feeling of plastic?

Erik
April 1st, 2006, 12:31
RS4 mirror.

Plastic :rolleyes:

Erik
April 1st, 2006, 12:32
Audi S8

Aluminium

Qriouz
April 1st, 2006, 16:37
thats just....:rolleyes:

jmk
April 1st, 2006, 18:47
The reason that it is plastic is.......drum roll.......
The mirror cannot be folded in, therefore if it impacts on a solid object, it will break off rather than cause alot of damage. For those who don't wish the cool mirror with double arm, the regular aluminum S4 FOLDABLE mirror is a no cost option.
:rs4kiss:

roadrunner
April 1st, 2006, 20:23
As far as I know all current Audi mirrors are plastic - no matter if S4, RS4, S6 or S8. Audi calls the S8 mirror for example: "aluminium optic" in their press release.

As jmk mentioned, this is due to pedestrian safety regulations.

Greets
Seb.

Ruergard
April 1st, 2006, 20:57
As people wrote, safety has to come first some times.. but Aliminium looks so much better!

But.. who really cared.. its a magnificent car anyway! :rs4kiss:

gazzab
April 1st, 2006, 21:55
It still has style.

Gazzab

Benman
April 3rd, 2006, 15:25
Originally posted by Erik
RS4 mirror.

Plastic :rolleyes:

Uhmmm... How come this is suddenly a suprise? I reported this way back in my "Benman goes to Germany" thread!

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6996&highlight=benman+goes+to+germany

"I knew we were not getting the seats and figured the wheel was too cool for us US folk as well, but the starter button and mirrors were a big let down. Well, on second thought, after further inspection, the mirrors turned out to be painted plastic, so maybe it’s better we get the standard METAL S4 mirrors."

Ben:addict:

Prof Gascan
April 3rd, 2006, 19:56
According to the RS4 NA Product Launch PDF that was/is floating around, the North American RS4 will still have the sliver painted, double arm mirrors. There's no mention in there about changing to the standard S4 ones.

Benman
April 3rd, 2006, 20:12
Originally posted by Prof Gascan
According to the RS4 NA Product Launch PDF that was/is floating around, the North American RS4 will still have the sliver painted, double arm mirrors. There's no mention in there about changing to the standard S4 ones.

Again, way back in July of 05' there was no NA PDF product launch that said so. At the time, quattro GmbH was considering not importing the mirrors just as they ended up not importing the wheel. Needless to say, much more info is now know, than in July of 05'.

My quote was only to show that it was known nearly a year ago that said mirrors were plastic.:thumb:

Erik
April 3rd, 2006, 20:45
Originally posted by Benman
Uhmmm... How come this is suddenly a suprise?

It's no surprise. But a big disappointment.

Benman
April 3rd, 2006, 21:04
Originally posted by Erik
It's no surprise. But a big disappointment.

You know, that's what I thought too when I first saw it (and felt it). No, it doesn't have that cool cold metal to the touch feel of real metal (ala my :rs6kiss: ), but then again, its a sign of the times. Its not Audi's fault that "Pedestrian Safety Standards" don't allow metal side mirrors just like years ago, the Auto industry abandoned metal bumbers (except for trucks). Soon, whole dang cars will be built from the stuff. :rolleyes:

A 2028 plastic RS 6. :rolleyes:

Audihead
April 3rd, 2006, 22:06
Fantastic Plastic! Sweet! http://dtwaudi.com/images/smiles/vomit.gif