PDA

View Full Version : Edmunds Video

Benman
March 29th, 2006, 19:23
Not very impressive (acceleration wise), but other than that, a fine soccermom mobile. :D:thumb: Also they claim 11mpg over their time behind the wheel. Hmm... wonder how they were driving? :D

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/VideosTypeIndex/type=SUV#2

Ben:addict:

gjg
March 29th, 2006, 21:06
the way they drove it I am surprised that they even managed that

Benman
March 29th, 2006, 21:09
Originally posted by gjg
the way they drove it I am surprised that they even managed that

So you're saying you expect to get about 10mpg...?:p :D

gjg
March 30th, 2006, 08:36
well, the whole article sounded biased to me compared with "evaluation" of other SUV on their web site.

Spoke with stealer in Prague - demo they had averaged 16-17 mpg in city/urban traffic (around 14-15 l/100 km) so go figure.

X5 with 4.8i sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow, the supercharged Range Rover would be good if your middle name is BP or Exxon. But, as Edmunds points out, Q7's fuel consumtion is really bad .... :doh:

AndyBG
March 30th, 2006, 12:59
Diesel, there is no alternative if you look after MPG.

gjg
March 30th, 2006, 13:25
agree on diesel, point is the Edmunds info about Q7 is bs

Benman
March 30th, 2006, 20:39
Originally posted by gjg
agree on diesel, point is the Edmunds info about Q7 is bs

I'm thinking you're right George. 11mpg? Come on... Also, 8.4 seconds zero to sixty? How come Car & Driver and Motortrend both say 7.3,7.4?

So basically, Edmunds can't launch a car to say their sorry butts, and then, once underway, drive like morons to see how poor of fuel economy they can get in return!:trash:

Mrs. is growing steadily impatient, She doesn't want me to wait for the Adaptive Cruise Control or the Tamo with Ebony interior.;)

gjg
March 30th, 2006, 21:10
ebony got my vote ... you know the story :D

Benman
March 31st, 2006, 18:47
Yeah, Ebony is what the Mrs. wants. Problem is, I like the Tamo wood. So far, only comes with the Esspresso interior in the US.

But it is her car afterall... so a caving I will be.:D

gjg
April 1st, 2006, 13:08
sport seats option available in US? BTW when you do configurator on this side of the pond you can do ebony/tamo ... :harass:

Benman
April 3rd, 2006, 16:14
Originally posted by gjg
sport seats option available in US? BTW when you do configurator on this side of the pond you can do ebony/tamo ... :harass:
Nope. No sport seats for now. Thanks for rubbing in the tamo.:cry:

That's ok. I'll have to comfort myself with the fact I'll be paying about $20K less than you in the States vs Czech!:trash: :D

gjg
April 4th, 2006, 11:01
oh well, on this side of the pond we have to pay the AoA's overhead and pisspoor service, without this subsidy you'd be paying double what we do ..... :bye2:

going for test drive on Monday, unfortunaly they only have 3.0 TDI. Will post

Benman
April 4th, 2006, 15:54
Originally posted by gjg
oh well, on this side of the pond we have to pay the AoA's overhead and pisspoor service, without this subsidy you'd be paying double what we do ..... :bye2:
LOL!!! :applause:

Originally posted by gjg

going for test drive on Monday, unfortunaly they only have 3.0 TDI. Will post Keep us posted George! That's the one I would have preferred to have gotten, so I'd like to know what you think of it.

Benman
April 5th, 2006, 22:01
Well, well, well.

Just read the MotorTrend review and it seems the Edmunds 0-60 time was not a fluke. MotorTrend (known for their fast times) recorded a 7.8 0-60 stomp. Not much quicker than what Edmunds stated. Not only that, but they bumped down their previuos fuel economy estimate from 16/23 to 14/19. Ain't too great either.

Hmm... seems Q7 is a little on the porky side, but then, we already knew that. Mrs will be needing that supercharger afterall...:hahahehe:

gjg
April 6th, 2006, 10:21
this seems strange - Audi quotes 0-100 km/h 7.4 sec ....

fuel consumption:

19.5 l city
10.2 l out
13.6 l combined

Benman
April 7th, 2006, 18:07
Originally posted by gjg
this seems strange - Audi quotes 0-100 km/h 7.4 sec ....

fuel consumption:

19.5 l city
10.2 l out
13.6 l combined

I'm starting to think, I have know idea who's right. Now I just a Car and Driver review of the Q7 and they have 0-60 times of low 7's??? Plus they show it as getting 14mpg while they were beating it, and 20 on freeway cruise mode! So that actually puts it spot on with the :addict: Not bad for a car that weights 1000lbs+ more!!!

gjg
April 9th, 2006, 19:41
Ben, management still want to see the ML tomorrow as well, so I done some research over the weekend:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111110
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88443

quote:
The ML is the worst rated luxury SUV ever not only in the USA but in Europe.
http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...urvey_2004/06/
http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...urvey_2003/04/

MBUSA is remarkably bad at customer relations. They seem to sit back and let the dealers suffer their ineptitude. I, luckily, have a very good dealer--but they were unable to get any significant response from MBUSA when my order was weeks late. That is a poor position to put the dealer and customer in. Being up front and proactive wins loyalty when there are problems. How simple is that concept?

Damn, reading the horror stories on ML forum I think AoA with their pisspoor attitude shines over the other ones ..... BMWUSA is even worse, researched that one too, and X5, although fine vehicle, has its more than fair share of problems and electrical gremlins ....

Damn, and I thought if Q7 would not do I'll have way out ... :doh:

Benman
April 10th, 2006, 16:41
Originally posted by gjg

quote:
The ML is the worst rated luxury SUV ever not only in the USA but in Europe.

Damn, and I thought if Q7 would not do I'll have way out ... :doh:

Dang George, those stories aren't too good!:bigeyes:

ML doesn't do it for my Mrs. so luckily, I don't have that problem. I'm pretty sure the Q7 will be a better ride than the ML, so hopefully, your "management" won't like the ML on the test drive. :D

BTW, did you drive the 3.0TDI Q7 yet?

gjg
April 10th, 2006, 17:57
test drive done ....ooooh. I will write that in few minutes, got couple items to attend .. but,

the 3.0 TDI is the engine to have in US - pulls like a freight train up to 160 km/h and fuel consuption is next to nothing for vehicle of that size

:thumb:

Benman
April 10th, 2006, 18:11
Originally posted by gjg
test drive done ....ooooh. I will write that in few minutes, got couple items to attend .. but,

the 3.0 TDI is the engine to have in US - pulls like a freight train up to 160 km/h and fuel consuption is next to nothing for vehicle of that size

George, I Really, really want to wait for the TDI but its for the Mrs. so I'll cave on the diesel powerplant. Making her wait at LEAST a full additional year more (and knowing how AOA works, more like two years more, won't be fair to her.

And as things look now, we won't be able to get the tamo/ebony combo (I know, I know, you can), and also, possibly not the cruise control! So maybe we'll only have this Q7 for two years or so, and maybe get a different one in the future when AOA finally gets their crap together and gives us all the options we want! Won't know until April 27/28th...

gjg
April 10th, 2006, 21:06
drove the 3.0 TDI Q7, standard suspension 235/60R18 tires today, dealer demo, about 2680 km on the clock.

Diesel pulls like there is no tomorrow - it is amazingly quick for car of this size, three people in. 6 Speed gearbox is very smooth and quick even in low speed / no load up down gear change. Engine runs up to max rpms (4500) without any hesistation up to 5th gear than it slows down. There is even pull up to 160-170 km/h - at that point it takes time to get it further up to about 210 km/h.

You do not hear the engine in the cabim too much and, unless you look the tach you would not be able to tell it is a diesel.

Suspension had a nice even little sporty feel, I would get 255 or 265 optional size of tires as the 235 on this one were little soft to the side.

Steering is tight, as expected from Audi, there is no freeplay.

Overall the Q7 feels like the A6 Avant when you drive it - you only realize that there is difference in seat height when you start looking around ..... handles that way too.

Sport seats are the same as you get in US (I believe) - they are shaped about as the Recaro seats in 92-96 S line imported to US, including the pull up leg support piece.

Plenty of room back seats, this one had option you can move the rear seats (second row) approx. 100 mm back/forward to have more cargo/leg room.

This one was 5 seater, MMI with DVD NAV. Fit and quality as you'd expect from A8. Two foffe holder center consol front and 2 rear, nice touch is a pocket for up to 1.5 litre bottle of water/coke in each door (also from and back).

Trunk has two compartments bellow the flor, top one two separate removable plastic pans about 4" deep - you can fold the floor cover and pur your road kill right there and all the blood will stay .... belolo the that spar wheel and plenty of room to store anything you may ever need for medium size overhaul .....

gjg
April 10th, 2006, 21:17
there are some options you may not get in US (at least it is not in the configurator at this pont), however I almost fell of the chair when I noticed these:

PDQ/FC1 Exterier packet S Line - $1390 (excluding VAT taxes) - included bumper, gril, door and rear end something other, black front grill,and some other body style, headlight washer (there is few body trimins in that package - most of it you have seen here on pics in Q7 S line in Essn thread)

WQS/FC1 Sport packet S Line - $6176 (excluding VAT taxes) - included the above package and:

sport suspension S Line,
Alu foged wheels 9Jx20 275/45R20,
QE (black) interier
sprot seats, heater, back support, electric
Alcantara seats
sports steering wheel (multifunction)
alu inserts

and, I've forgot, you can get Bose system in it as well, sounds very well in that "hall"

:bow:

Benman
April 10th, 2006, 21:38
Originally posted by gjg
drove the 3.0 TDI Q7, standard suspension 235/60R18 tires today, dealer demo, about 2680 km on the clock.

Diesel pulls like there is no tomorrow - There is even pull up to 160-170 km/h - at that point it takes time to get it further up to about 210 km/h.

Suspension had a nice even little sporty feel...

Overall the Q7 feels like the A6 Avant when you drive it..... handles that way too.

Sport seats are the same as you get in US (I believe).

Plenty of room back seats, this one had option you can move the rear seats (second row) approx. 100 mm back/forward to have more cargo/leg room.

Trunk has two compartments bellow the flor, top one two separate removable plastic pans about 4" deep - you can fold the floor cover and pur your road kill right there and all the blood will stay ....

there are some options you may not get in US (at least it is not in the configurator at this pont), however I almost fell of the chair when I noticed these:

WQS/FC1 Sport packet S Line - $6176 (excluding VAT taxes) - included the above package and:

George:cheers: ,

Thanks for the write up. 3.0 TDI, very nice. Plenty of pep? Great to hear and also great that from the inside, can't even tell its diesel. Did the Q7 you drove have the Air Suspension? Sport seats, yeah, I think they're the same. Same moving rear seat too.

Road kill storage, I'll have to try that one...

I almost fell over too when I read the price you typed! $6200 for same size wheels and tires (not really much of a "upgrade"), with alcantara interior and shift paddles?!?!? Wow, seems mega steep for just that. Premium here already comes with everything else!

gjg
April 10th, 2006, 21:42
from there we tested the ML320 CDI Benz - although about foot shorter that Q7 it appears at least foot taller, bulkier and not even remotely as driveable as Q - handled like a truck, just about.

Anyway, not discriminating we stopped at BWM and, as you'd expect, we got cold shoulder when asking for a test drive of X5 (sir, this is the showroom car, the demo in in service) ....

:doh:

I drove it before as my friend got hte 3.0d X5 - nice sporty handling, but seats not too comfy and not too much space.

so ....

Benman
April 10th, 2006, 21:47
Originally posted by gjg
from there we tested the ML320 CDI Benz - although about foot shorter that Q7 it appears at least foot taller, bulkier and not even remotely as driveable as Q - handled like a truck, just about.

so ....

So... did the Mrs. like the Q7 better?

gjg
April 10th, 2006, 21:51
Ben, stock tires on diesel are the 235/60R18 tires, so anything bigger than that is option. So the 20" wheels, as separate option are around $1800.

The air suspension optional for $3029 (ex VAT), on both models.

Shift paddles on steering wheel are stock, no matter what you get.

Diesel 3.0 TDI base price $53,900 (ex VAT), 4.2. FSI is approx. $16k more but there are some options included.

I have not decided yet, need to drive the 4.2 before final. Fuel consuption on gasoline as (as per manuf. info) is about 35% higher that diesel, cost wise (as 4.2 needs 98 unleaded) it is about additional 20-25% on fuel ......

But, with 100 l fuel tank it will have decent range even with the gasoline engine ...:p

gjg
April 10th, 2006, 21:54
well, she could not get over how big the benz looked - she likes the body style (let's face it, Q is somewhat closer to Suburban thant ML), but she definitely lost the intial "no way Jose" attitude - specially after the drive and after she compared the inside of both. Audi here is definitely mucho different in quality :applause:

Benman
April 10th, 2006, 22:02
20's are optional here too, but with "Premium" its only a $800.00 option. Air suspension is $2600.

For us in the States, its being said we will not get the shift paddles (bummer) unless we get the S Line (something about the heated steering wheel?).

You haven't decided? I thought the TDI was the easy choice? Would be for me, but then again, I don't even get the option!:doh:

So... she's coming around huh?:thumb:

gjg
April 10th, 2006, 22:16
TDI is an easy choice, but I need to do mu due dilligence .....

and yea, I did hear some rather positive remarks few minutes ago when she and "baby" looked the materials ..... will not push, I'd say I' about 2 weeks from decision point ...:thumb:

Benman
April 13th, 2006, 23:03
Originally posted by Benman

And as things look now, we won't be able to get the tamo/ebony combo (I know, I know, you can), and also, possibly not the cruise control!

Well...kinda got some good news. Tamo is still looking like a no no, but, the ACC is looking like a real possibilty! Got word today that updated news on that will be end of next week!:wo:

Mrs is pleased!

gjg
April 14th, 2006, 15:27
4.2 TDI should be available in Europe about 05/2007 ..... spoke with friendly factory source yesterday. :thumb:

Benman
April 14th, 2006, 16:04
Originally posted by gjg
4.2 TDI should be available in Europe about 05/2007 ..... spoke with friendly factory source yesterday. :thumb:
:wo: Very nice! So... would you rather wait for the 4.2 TDI, or just pick up the 3.0TDI in a few weeks time?

gjg
April 14th, 2006, 21:32
will make the decision next week after I drive the 4.2 FSI ...... if 4.2 TDI was available it would be no brainer, in this case between 3.0 D and the FSI ...:doh:

Benman
April 17th, 2006, 16:17
Originally posted by gjg
will make the decision next week after I drive the 4.2 FSI ...... if 4.2 TDI was available it would be no brainer, in this case between 3.0 D and the FSI ...:doh:
Yeah, tuff choice between 3.0 TDI and 4.2FSI.

Like you said, had 4.2TDI been available... easy choice.

On my end, end of this week should prove promising, as I'll get more info. As it sits, Americans will not see any TDis in the Q7 line up until sometime calendar year 2008! :doh: Makes sense...:trash: