PDA

View Full Version : Forum / Website upgrade - New ideas

Erik
March 28th, 2006, 21:26
OK...getting a new main website and homepage is not as easy as I had hoped. :rolleyes: *sigh*

So here is my new idea, got to get some progress:

Get rid of the main website www.RS6.com and focus on the forum www.RS6.com/forum which is by far the most active part anyway.
It has worked fine for the last 1 year or so...

Reasons why:
1) I have not enough time.
2) There are plenty of websites (thousands) where you can get the same information (official press releases)

This will mean that I have more time to focus on more special and unique things that are 'read here only.'

So the RS6.com upgrade would consist of upgrading to the latest vbulleting forum software, integrate the gallery with links and some other minor modifications.

Any comments or suggestions before I :mech: ?

Benman
March 28th, 2006, 21:37
Originally posted by Erik
So here is my new idea...
Get rid of the main website www.RS6.com and focus on the forum www.RS6.com/forum which is by far the most active part anyway.
It has worked fine for the last 1 year or so...

Reasons why:
1) I have not enough time.
2) There are plenty of websites (thousands) where you can get the same information (official press releases)

Agree. Does anyone even check the main page nowadays?:D

Ben:addict:

KiwiRS4
March 28th, 2006, 23:16
Have to agree, didnt even know there was a home page :doh:

Making this forum into the one stop shop for everyone who owns a car from the Audi family, and that includes Porsche, Lambo etc would be the way to go.

Ned

SoCal
March 29th, 2006, 07:44
Totally agree. Main page is just a way station to the Forum, which is the whole point and what sets RS6.com apart. It really is a community more than anything else. Haven't looked at anything but the forum in a long time.:applause:

Fab
March 29th, 2006, 08:08
Fine for me let's keep the core business :thumb:

AndyBG
March 29th, 2006, 14:41
DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT, JUST KEEP THIS FORUM RUNNING.

This is only ''NORMAL'' forum on the net!

All best,

ANDY

roadrunner
March 29th, 2006, 15:02
Originally posted by AndyBG
DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT, JUST KEEP THIS FORUM RUNNING.

This is only ''NORMAL'' forum on the net!...

...with a lot of substance :0: - my farorite Audi forum aroud the world :bow:

A Gallery improvement would help - after all we seem to never have enought of Audi pics :D

Eric, all the other admis, and everyone who contributes - thank you and may we read from eachother for many years to come.

Greets
Seb

tailpipe
March 29th, 2006, 16:48
Erik,

I agree with proposed changes. I do hope that all existing content will still be easily accessible.

I'd love to a section entitled Forum Member Road Tests where we can post our own blog-type descriptions of the Audi cars we've driven.

I guess, Erik, that you'd also like some cash? Do you want to suggest an amount we could offer donate by secure online credit card payment or via PayPal?

Benman
March 29th, 2006, 16:55
Originally posted by tailpipe

I guess, Erik, that you'd also like some cash? Do you want to suggest an amount we could offer donate by secure online credit card payment or via PayPal?

Yeah, that was discussed awhile back. A voluntary contribution of $10, $25, $50, etc... would be cool for those that want to. No obligation.

Goldorak
March 29th, 2006, 20:55
Favorite forum for RS4 discussion and the only one where I've bothered to register.:rs4kiss: High signal to noise ratio is the main attribute I enjoy here.

Just like previous replies, I access the forum directly and rarely go to the home page.

About the donations, I would suggest providing at least a rough outline of what it costs to run the site. Most of us have probably never run a website and helping us understand the costs will make contributions more likely. I know from experience this has helped me decide how much to contribute in similar situations.

Sorry for the newbie question but has advertising been explored?

Keep up the good work and let us know how we can help.:thumb:

KiwiRS4
March 29th, 2006, 21:45
Erik - Just curious. I made a donation of $160 USD back in September for these same upgrades you are talking about now.

Just wondering where its all at.

Ned

Erik
March 29th, 2006, 22:01
Originally posted by KiwiRS4
Erik - Just curious. I made a donation of $160 USD back in September for these same upgrades you are talking about now.

I know, many thanks!

I haven't asked for any donations this time. But they are always welcome since it costs money (not much) every month.

Problem isn't really the money, but to find somebody reliable enough to do it, and to finish what they promise after the first meeting. :doh:

KiwiRS4
March 29th, 2006, 22:09
Erik - Thanks and check your PMs as I have a solution for you.

Ned

Benman
March 30th, 2006, 00:02
Originally posted by KiwiRS4
Erik - Just curious. I made a donation of $160 USD back in September...

Just wondering where its all at.

Ned
Beer and women.:trash: :D

AndyBG
March 30th, 2006, 12:08
Originally posted by Benman
Beer and women.:trash: :D

:applause:

:D :D :D

:P :)

gazzab
March 30th, 2006, 13:26
Agree stick with the forum.

Gazzab

k2
March 30th, 2006, 16:38
Eric,

Agree with all the comments and would be willing to pay a monthly fee if we improve things like uploading jpegs and movs. Oh yeah ... Beer and Women (on trampolines) is always a worthy expense.

Great work :applause: