PDA

View Full Version : First test? Audi RS4 vs. BMW M5

Erik
March 27th, 2006, 12:13
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69799

A blue RS4 sedan vs a Titanium Silver M5, both with wintertyres. :snow:

Some key points below:

"Driving the M5 in the snow is effortless and a childs playthanks to it's electronics sensors"

"The engine of the M5 cannot be compared, there is nothing you can compare it with. So much of Jekyll and Hyde -at the same time!"

Weight of the M5 as tested: 1970 kg. 0-100 km/h in impressive 4,73 s

Weight of the RS4 as tested: 1870 kg (!). 4,67 s.

At 130 km/h the M5 will pass the RS4:

M5 0-200 km/h: 13,7 s
RS4 0-200 km/h: 15,65 s

0-402 m M5: 12,68 s and 192,4 km/h
0-402 m RS4: 12,86 s and 180,6 km/h

The BMW M5 and RS4 was dynoed on a Rototest notice that the RS4 lacks approx. 17 HP, clocking in at 403 HP. The BMW M5 gave 3 additional HP (510 HP) when measured.

RS4 averaged 1,5 liters / 10 km and M5 1,7 liters / 10 km

Bottom line: "We cannot say which is best since they are so different, but the Audi takes a lot of points on the winterroads."

"You can wait a few years to let them depreciate to half. And buy both" (not a bad idea ;) )

Summary for the RS4 "Class bully":

In many years Audi have tried to build a car that matches the best in power and not at least driving dynamics. With the new RS4 they have built that car -on all surfaces. Best in class.

Summary for the M5 "Megalomaniac":

Big, heavy and reasonably comfortable, and along with a competent driver can drive the xxx of most car there is. M5 might be the most impressive car in it's kind. Hightec in a way that no other has.

Both cars scored 61 points /100.

AndyBG
March 27th, 2006, 14:05
RS4 is better!

:kissrs4:

:rs4kiss:

;)

AndyBG
March 27th, 2006, 21:29
Hey, did you notice how they all talking about what engine is new RS6 going to have...

...i think somebodys pants are full...!

:D :) ;) :P

:rs6kiss:

masmole
March 28th, 2006, 00:40
1870kg for the RS4?!?! Geez I hope that's with the driver and a passenger or at least a very heavy driver because 4122 lbs sure is a porker.

I can see how the M5 is 1970kg because my fully optioned car is almost 4200 lbs minus me the driver. But even a 3900 lb curb weight for an RS4 w/o driver is too heavy.

Could be a typo I suppose...

snark
March 28th, 2006, 01:33
Originally posted by masmole
1870kg for the RS4?!?! Geez I hope that's with the driver and a passenger or at least a very heavy driver because 4122 lbs sure is a porker.

I can see how the M5 is 1970kg because my fully optioned car is almost 4200 lbs minus me the driver. But even a 3900 lb curb weight for an RS4 w/o driver is too heavy.

Could be a typo I suppose...

I can't find a weight in all the the quoted specs I have, but they do say a 3.93 kg/bhp weight-to-power ratio, which means 1650kg at 420bhp. Add 100kg for an American-sized driver. So, I hope the article is wrong.

snark
March 28th, 2006, 01:38
Originally posted by snark
I can't find a weight in all the the quoted specs I have, but they do say a 3.93 kg/bhp weight-to-power ratio, which means 1650kg at 420bhp. Add 100kg for an American-sized driver. So, I hope the article is wrong.

Well, this says it weights 1736kg:

http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=261&Flap=Details

7:53 RS6
March 28th, 2006, 09:31

http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=261&Flap=Details

Sorry to say but its a porker in kg!
Its at 1811kg(thas inkluded 75kg driver and gas) according to AMS auto motor and sport(swedish version of the mag) that in latest number tested it!

Benman
March 28th, 2006, 16:05
Originally posted by 8:05 RS6
Sorry to say but its a porker in kg!
Its at 1811kg(thas inkluded 75kg driver and gas) according to AMS auto motor

1811-75=1736.;) :D

Ben:addict:

J.Seven
March 28th, 2006, 17:05
4.6sec to 100Kph is an amazing figure, even 15,--sec till 200 is fantastic. I wasn´t hopping the new RS4 could have such performance figures. Between the two I wouldn´t think twice, the beast with 510Hp would be my choice althought I find the new RS4 much better loking than M5, in and out.

J.Seven

tailpipe
March 28th, 2006, 19:13
When you compare the RS4 with the M5, the Audi does seem to be unacceptably heavier given its smaller size. But you need to remember that the M5 doesn't have AWD. It has a very simple RWD chassis. And this is the fundamental reason why RS afficionados prefer Audi high-performance models.

On a dry, summer road, then, yes, the M5 probably has the edge. But year round, on all roads, in all conditions, then I would say the RS4 wins by miles.

Let us suppose that the RS4 had an identical RWD set-up to the M5, then you would probably be able to lose around 200 kgs in weight. This would give it a performance envelope almost identical to that of the M5, albeit with 2 cylinders less and a vastly reduced unsprung weight.

Personally, I would rather have the extra weight for the sake of having AWD. Out of 365 days in a year, I guess the M5 will beat me on about 60 of thos days. For the other 305 days, I will be grinning for having spent quite a lot of money less.

And one more thing, I'll have an Avant not a Saloon, and enjoy the RS4's greater practicality.

:incar: :rs4kiss:

Fab
March 29th, 2006, 07:03
:0: :rs4kiss:

5000S old skool
March 29th, 2006, 19:12
even if the weight wasnt a typo!! that heavy with that engine and it gets to 100km in 4.6secs!! and to 200kn in 15secs!! :MTM:

...but i doubt its that heavy... its lighter than an S4 and an S4 is around 3700lbs.. so i think RS4 is around 3500lbs.....

bober3
March 30th, 2006, 02:15
:rs4addict great info man but I take the rs4.

m5 transmission is crap smg suck

Leadfoot
March 30th, 2006, 11:49
ON a track, I would say the M5 would be a hoot and be more fun than the RS4 eg. oversteer etc. But which car would I like to be driving while trying to keep up with a porsche 911 down a twisty road - RS4 anyday, it's every bit as quick along the straights and far easier to drive quickly around the corners. The M5 is far too quick for it own good, and like most normal drivers I wouldn't have the skills or the guts to try and keep up.

tailpipe
March 30th, 2006, 12:28
Originally posted by Leadfoot
ON a track, I would say the M5 would be a hoot and be more fun than the RS4 eg. oversteer etc. But which car would I like to be driving while trying to keep up with a porsche 911 down a twisty road - RS4 anyday, it's every bit as quick along the straights and far easier to drive quickly around the corners. The M5 is far too quick for it own good, and like most normal drivers I wouldn't have the skills or the guts to try and keep up.

Good post! :thumb:

AudiTumbo
April 1st, 2006, 16:22
Okay, I bought the magazine this week, since this is the test I've been waiting for so much!

I have to say, that being an Audi fan right now is fantastic!

I have much respect for the M5, beign so outragous. But I always believed that Audi with the new RS4 have done so much "new" for the mark. And reading the 10 page test, (with a lot of great pictures. I can scan them if anybody wants it), makes you just smile. Yes they say good things about the M5, but the RS4 gets the most credit. They are so surprised how Audi have got rid of this "understear feeling". They also write how people stopped and ask them about the RS4, so many curious! They said it brought so much attention from many people! They even said that the M5 looks "nothing special" compared to the RS4. I just have a big smile reading the test, cause they don't complain a single word of the Audi. They just say amazing words after another.

Also, look on the acceleration of both cars! So amazing! 4.67 for the RS4 with winter tyres! And 15.6 to 200km/h just shows that the AMS test (4.4/15.4) wasn't a mistake.

For example, the RS4 got better grade then the M5 on engine & handling!!!

Oh and, the low score for both cars (61/100), is cause of they couldn't test the safety of them. So it should be like 61/80 or something.

I am so glad being an Audi fan now... cause this is really a revelation

Audi RS4 is the car that sets a new mark for Audi.

gjg
April 1st, 2006, 20:28

http://www.rri.se/popup/performance...61&Flap=Details

Audi specs on official website (Europe) states 1650kg, max. 2260kg.

Perhaps US gets some reinforced seats to support American arses :D

Except for Benman - he will have to put 100 pounds of bricks in trunk to make sure will hold on the road .... :applause:

gazzab
April 1st, 2006, 21:58
Originally posted by AudiTumbo
Okay, I bought the magazine this week, since this is the test I've been waiting for so much!

I have much respect for the M5, beign so outragous. But I always believed that Audi with the new RS4 have done so much "new" for the mark. And reading the 10 page test, (with a lot of great pictures. I can scan them if anybody wants it), makes you just smile. Yes they say good things about the M5, but the RS4 gets the most credit. They are so surprised how Audi have got rid of this "understear feeling". They also write how people stopped and ask them about the RS4, so many curious! They said it brought so much attention from many people! They even said that the M5 looks "nothing special" compared to the RS4. I just have a big smile reading the test, cause they don't complain a single word of the Audi. They just say amazing words after another.

Also, look on the acceleration of both cars! So amazing! 4.67 for the RS4 with winter tyres! And 15.6 to 200km/h just shows that the AMS test (4.4/15.4) wasn't a mistake.

Oh and, the low score for both cars (61/100), is cause of they couldn't test the safety of them. So it should be like 61/80 or something.

I am so glad being an Audi fan now... cause this is really a revelation

Yes please scan the pictures or article.

Cheers Gazzab

QuattroFun
April 2nd, 2006, 18:31
Yeah, now me has also read the two Swedish tests (AMS & TV) and they do indeed make very entertaining and flattering reading - on top of the full Autocar solo road test - for a soon to become RS4 man. It is worth nothing that the Swedish press RS4 car had the heavier S4-like Recaros and the quoted 1870kg weight includes driver and some stuff.

The acceleration performance is delightfully better than than I had expected from power-to-weight especially as the engine does not quite live up to the quoted numbers - TV reckons 403PS from engine and AMS 349PS at wheels from the same test car with only 1000+km mileage as discussed earlier.

But: fact remains that the RS4 is pretty heavy and more diet would be in order...

:rs4addict

buyalemon
April 2nd, 2006, 21:39
as a swede I have read both tests and finds it very weird! Correct me if I'm wrong ...but didn't the 996 turbo do 0-100 in 4,5 and 0-200 in 15? It has more tq than the RS4 and the same hp and atleast 100 kg lighter (probably more) ...still same acc? that seems Impossible if the RS4 only has 350 hp on the wheels! 996 turbo has way more than that! And also better CW ...noo I'd go for 390+ on the wheels!

5000S old skool
April 3rd, 2006, 02:21
even though the Audi wins..

This test is kind of like apples to oranges...

M5 is a very different car with a very different target market...

M5 would be competing with new RS6...

and RS4 would be competing with new M3...

but I guess they compare M5 and RS4 for now... since the M3 and RS6 havent come out yet..

still apples to oranges though...

next RS6 should OWN the M5...

:addict: :rs4addict

5000S old skool
April 3rd, 2006, 02:23
Originally posted by buyalemon
as a swede I have read both tests and finds it very weird! Correct me if I'm wrong ...but didn't the 996 turbo do 0-100 in 4,5 and 0-200 in 15? It has more tq than the RS4 and the same hp and atleast 100 kg lighter (probably more) ...still same acc? that seems Impossible if the RS4 only has 350 hp on the wheels! 996 turbo has way more than that! And also better CW ...noo I'd go for 390+ on the wheels!

gear ratios have ALOT to do with 0-60 times....

Leadfoot
April 3rd, 2006, 09:57
Yes the RS4 is too heavy. I hope Audi takes a leaf out of BMW book for once and try to use as much alloy as possible to the like of the front, rear and roof.

One thing a will agree with the report, the RS4 has the better engine. All those years at Le Mans have paid off.

In a few of years, the diesel RS4 will leave all comers - the black smoke will mask it's path.:hahahehe: :hihi:

buyalemon
April 3rd, 2006, 11:08
yeah gearing plays a part ...don't know anything about RS4 rearing! But to keep up with the turbo to 200 is great!

Another thing ...E39 M5 had 367 hp on the wheels and did 0-200 in 18 sec? To me the RS4 is too fast for only 350 on the wheels!
3 sec faster to 200 tith equal weight is muchos

Benman
April 3rd, 2006, 15:21
Originally posted by AudiTumbo

I just have a big smile reading the test, cause they don't complain a single word of the Audi. They just say amazing words after another.

Sweet. A scan (if possible) would be much appreciated.:thumb:

Ben:addict: