PDA

View Full Version : Is the RS6 hood the same as the A6 hood for the same year?

Paldi
March 25th, 2006, 02:13
Sorry for the newby question but...

People seem to be concerned about heat buildup under the hood, especially as the car ages and things fail like belts and hoses.

If it were me, I would certainly look into getting an A6 hood of the same color and punch a few hood vents and maybe even a scoop in there to relieve the temperatures, especially in summer.

I'd park the original hood in the back of my garage and leave it until it's time to trade her in.

So, are the hoods interchangable, or not?

gregoryindiana
March 25th, 2006, 03:15
Originally posted by Paldi So, are the hoods interchangable, or not? [/B]

I looked up the body info on my Ebahn reader, for RS6 and A6 4.2, as I would think these would likely have the greatest commonality.

I can see no differences in the 2 as far as removal and replacement procedures in the writeup. But, I could not find part numbers to confirm that they are in fact the same.

The trim of the grill would not be the same in any case.

BBGT2
March 25th, 2006, 04:20
Originally posted by Paldi
Sorry for the newby question but...

If it were me, I would certainly look into getting an A6 hood of the same color and punch a few hood vents and maybe even a scoop in there to relieve the temperatures, especially in summer.

So, are the hoods interchangable, or not?

The hood's are the same I think, as far as your comment about "punchin a few hood vents and maybe adding a scoop" you have got to be kidding me :eek: !

The RS6 is not a Ford, Chevy or Dodge pickup truck where you alleviate the heat issue with some vents, its a little more complex than that, larger cpacity radiators with better airflow would help the heat issue as would a greater frontal grill area to give it better air flow.
I dont mean to be rude or anything but just the thought of driving around in my car with holes in the hood makes me cringe.

Also is that your RS6 in your avatar and if so did you really paint that shelby stripe if so post some pics of it from different angles.

Bajo:addict:

Paldi
March 25th, 2006, 04:50
http://www.e46shop.de/haube01.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/RS6/Press/Champion-RS6-7.jpg

The issue is about getting the heat out, not adding radiator capacity. I think each of the above photos shows a tasteful solution - especially if using an A6 hood as a starting off point.

"If the RS6 engine was properly cooled, it will be at least 20% more powerfull. The MTM Hood vents... are very efficient. They were designed in the wind tunnel at Ingolstadt. Oil temperature is 10 degrees celsius cooler at full boost in the summer. This is a lot just with hood vents." Balsen

BBGT2
March 25th, 2006, 13:05
No, I saw that thread, I was just reffering to the words you were using that caught my attention., "punching holes adding scoops" that I visualized in a bad way. :D

I am sure the vents help as if they didnt Champion would not have done them.

A bigger radiator capacity and greater airflow would do a better job, at a huge price though.
Again I just visualized what you were writing.

Cheers,

Bajo:addict:

Paldi
March 25th, 2006, 14:43
has the stripes p-shopped on. I don't have the guts to do that to an $80k car. But if I had a spare hood, I might be tempted. It sure disturbs the stealthy image.

One of these is mine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Paldi/DSC00023.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8112

gregoryindiana
March 26th, 2006, 18:46
And looked very carefully at the hood of the RS6 and that same piece on the wife's A6 4.2 from the same year.

Conclusion:

I think they are identical. The hood release hardware is the same, the windshield washer tubing is in the same place, the heat underhood blanket is the same, the gas strut looks identical, and is mounted to the same spot. There is no diference that I can identify, and I looked at them side by side.

Paldi
March 27th, 2006, 02:03
Wonder what an A6 hood goes for from a yard? I feel like making a production run of a dozen complete with air vents and maybe an odd stripe or two. :mech:

Tom C
March 27th, 2006, 19:31
I was under the impression that the RS6 hood was aluminum. Is that true?

Tom

Paldi
March 27th, 2006, 19:38
Go see if it sticks!

Benman
March 27th, 2006, 20:54
Go see if it sticks!

It doesn't. It is aluminium.

Ben:addict:

Paldi
March 27th, 2006, 21:28
What about the A6?

Benman
March 27th, 2006, 21:49
What about the A6?

Sticks to my uncle's 2.7T, so it's regular steel...

Ben:addict:

Paldi
March 27th, 2006, 22:00
Wonder how much area of "holes" needs to be removed from the steel hood to equal the weight of the stock alumium hood?

Aronis
March 27th, 2006, 23:58
A6 4.2 Front Fenders - aluminum
RS6 Front Fenders and Hood -Aluminum
Mike

gregoryindiana
March 28th, 2006, 01:52
On the wifes A6 4.2, and it DOES NOT stick to the hood. It is aluminum. Just to check the magnet, I checked, and it DID stick to the roof on the same car.

I can only conclude, as I said before, that the RS6 and A6 4.2 hoods are in fact identical. Don't have an A6 2.7 to look at.

In the CD ROM manual, if you look up either of the RS6 or the A6 4.2, it states in dealing with the hood that special fasteners and stuff must be used, as galvanic corrosion (from dissimilar metals in contact) would not be covered by warranty. Further evidence to me, though indirect, that they are the same part.

Isn't there anyone who can query their Audi dealer and put this question to rest???

Paldi
March 28th, 2006, 02:38
A steel 2.7 or an aluminum 4.2 hood. Wonder if the 4.2 part number is the same?

Now we are on the verge of somebody deciding where to cut the holes, what vent hardware to use and assuring the hood will be functional and operable. Nobody wants hood pin fasteners...

I'll be no more than a half dozen owners will do this mod unless someone shows the way and makes it easy. A great project for a tech write up and maybe a little business for an entrepreneurial type. (Not me - no garage space at present.)