PDA

View Full Version : RS6+ tire size...what are you running?

mmaturo
March 22nd, 2006, 05:51
I just had my US spec car in to put on my OEM 19" 5 spoke wheels with 255/35 - 19s (Michelin PS2s) on them but they rubbed in the front on the control arms...so ordering slightly thinner tires...what size tires are you European RS6+ owners running...I wouldn't think there was any difference in the suspension components or set up but maybe there is?? HELP...

Qisha
March 22nd, 2006, 08:48
Dear mmaturo,

if you want to use the Michelin PS2, which in fact is a good choice, you will have to use a Special PS2 that is produced for the RS6. This one has a more narrow Flank on the inside, preventing rubbing on the control Arm.

Michelin Order No. 892888 255/35 19Y XL

aussie rs6
March 22nd, 2006, 16:31
Dear Quisha,

Thank you for that advice on the part number for the special michelin PS2's for 19" euro spec wheels which are standard here in Oz.

I ordered the standard,supposedly correct PS2's and had same control arm rubbing on tight turns. Ended up running michelin ps2's on back and continentals on front.

Thankfully I can now switch to michelin ps2' s all round,assuming I can get that part number tyre here.

Fellow members contributions to the site are a mine of information and much appreciated here in OZ, particularly in Perth, western Australia where there are only 3 rs6's in the whole state! :addict: :applause:

mmaturo
March 22nd, 2006, 17:25
Interestingly that was the tire they tried first (just checked with the store)...they said it was rubbing by about a credit card thickness...they are ordering 245/35s for me to see if those fit. What air pressure do you run in the tires?

aussie rs6
March 22nd, 2006, 18:00
I run 36 psi front and 39 psi rear as per the factory specs.

I bought the michelin ps2's as they have a rim protector strip which provides excellent protection against "kerb rash".

the rear rims on which they are installed are pristine. The front rims with the conti's without protector strip look like courtney love's beard rash after a hard saturday night out on the town. (no offence meant to courtney's fans out there)

It is this rim protector strip that rubs on the control arms when the ps2's are installed on the front.

The serial number on the tyres is DOT 6U N4FRVX4 103 which sounds like a department of transport registration number and not a michelin model number. The other serial number on both sidewalls is E2 022584.

hope this helps. :vhmmm:

Qisha
March 22nd, 2006, 20:00
Dear Friends,

the Michelin Order No. 892888 255/35 19Y XL is tested and certified for use with the OE Wheel 9x19" Offset 35.

There is also a special Dunlop Sport 9000 available for the RS6, the Dunlop Sport 9000 RS.

mmaturo
March 22nd, 2006, 22:15
That again is the exact Michelin number/size that I tried the first time (according to the store, but I will triple check when I go in for the new ones)...wheels are indeed the OEM 19 with the 35 offset straight out of Europe. I think I agree that it must be the rim protector strip on the sidewall that was rubbing on the control arm. I will post once I get the 245s on and see what happens. Otherwise will try other brands as suggested. Thanks for the pressure info as not sure if it was any different from the 18s I had on the car.

Hy Octane
March 23rd, 2006, 00:47
aussie rs6 said:

I run 36 psi front and 39 psi rear as per the factory specs.

Are you sure about this? I would think the higher pressures would be in the front, no?

I have PS2's on stock 18 in rims and run them at 44 front 42 rear cold.. Seems like a perfect balance for me..

Aronis
March 23rd, 2006, 01:37
I'm about to buy some PS II's 18 inch, are there any size issues with the 255/40 18's????

I want to get the correct ones!

Mike

nene
March 23rd, 2006, 02:27
Hi Mike,

With the 8.5 inch wide width you won't have any issues with the regular PS2s. I got the same regular PS2s for the front, and they are fine. The 19 inch wheels are 9 inch wide, and that is where the flat sidewall of the PS2s can get you into some trouble.

You will be fine if the tires are going on stock wheels.

gregoryindiana
March 23rd, 2006, 03:19
Originally posted by nene
The 19 inch wheels are 9 inch wide, and that is where the flat sidewall of the PS2s can get you into some trouble.

I bought the Abt 19 inch wheels because I liked their 5 spoke look.

They are 19 by 8.5 inches, so I guess I am in good shape, hopefully, when I get the tires and mount them later this month or early next.

I am going with the Contis that were recommended by Nordschliefe in a search I did a long time ago

Aronis
March 23rd, 2006, 12:32
Originally posted by gregoryindiana

I am going with the Contis that were recommended by Nordschliefe in a search I did a long time ago

Conti's are the stock tire on the new M5.

I was considering them as well...

Mike

Qisha
March 23rd, 2006, 12:53
Dear Friends,

Continental just released the new Sport Contact 3.

Infos:

www.contisportcontact3.de

http://www.conti-online.com/coremedia/generator/www/de/de/continental/csc3/themen/03_reifenfamilie/img/csc3_uv.jpg

There will also be a 255/35 R19Y XL within the next weeks.

mmaturo
March 23rd, 2006, 19:10
The more I am learning is that the 9" width of the 19" wheel with the PS2s straight sidewall with the lip that protects the edge of the rim is the problem and really just for that tire not other brands. If I were to go to any other brand they have a more rounded profile and do not have the extra lip on the tire. I am wondering that if I go with the 245/35 Michelins am I going to see a difference in performance as I will have 1/4 to 1/2 less width at each tire or if it is stupid of me not to use another brand at 255/35. Thoughts??

aussie rs6
March 24th, 2006, 05:18
I would run with the 255x19 inch continentals. They do not rub on the bodywork on my RS6 at any wheel angle, even with spirited driving.

I would not use a narrower tyre. With the legendary front end weight of the rs6 , in the dry you need all the road contact you can have.

I have yet to have the front end break away in 'normal' spirited driving.

I have not had the nerve to try the "scandinavian flick" to get the RS6 to do a controlled four wheel slide as shown on "top gear" (done with a lambo gallardo, not a rs6). The wife would kill me if I tried this with her shopping trolley as she calls the beast.:addict: :addict: :addict::rs6kiss:

mmaturo
March 25th, 2006, 00:45
Originally posted by Qisha

if you want to use the Michelin PS2, which in fact is a good choice, you will have to use a Special PS2 that is produced for the RS6. This one has a more narrow Flank on the inside, preventing rubbing on the control Arm.

Michelin Order No. 892888 255/35 19Y XL

Well for those of us in the United States who want this tire, today I made it possible as they were only being shipped to Europe since we do not have 19s as an option on our cars and yes this tire was explicitly made for Audi's with the 19" wheels. Working with Discount Tire we called Michelin direct and with a conference call that connected a tire engineer and 3 customer service reps we got them to figure out that indeed the tire does exist without the inner rim protector lip and 300 of them are at their warehouse in Michigan and now they will release it for sale in the Discount Tire system nationwide (as it was not for sale until today in the states thank you very much) as we have said this is only for the 255/35 19 XL size as the 18s do not have the problem of being too wide and hitting the control arm. HOWEVER and this is the important part...the number is not the one above but for the listing (in the states anyway) it is 14875. There is 4 versions of this tire in this size so this is the only number that works, the other three have the rim protector on both sides.

Four tires are on the way so I'll know next week if it all really works out, can't wait, the OEM 5 spokes in titanium finish look really good on my car (for the 5 minutes they were on before all this)...Qisha, thanks for the info that after research I could figure out how to get them here in the states and convince them and myself it does exist.

PeterH
March 30th, 2006, 21:39
Wow, thanks for the research! Pics would be great. Looking forward to seeing if these tires work because I am going to be in the exact same position soon.

Dumb question, but did you use the same lug-bolts from the stock 18's or did you get new ones with the wheels?

Aronis
March 30th, 2006, 21:54
I just bought some 18 in. Michelin PS II's, now I am jealous.

Must.....get......19....inch....rims.......LOL

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

mmaturo
March 30th, 2006, 23:27
Ok finally have them on and yes the tires work...looks absolutely great. I will post pictures once I get some taken, probably on Saturday if the weather is good here.

For PeterH yes I used the same lugs as the 18s. Audi has little plastic caps that cover the ends of the original lug nuts so they look good. Haven't grabbed those yet from the dealer but the lugs are so recessed I didn't even notice them yet.

These really look great, worth every cent, especially with my Daytona as they are a near match.

PeterH
March 30th, 2006, 23:33
Glad to hear it worked out. Cant wait to see some pics! Thanks for the info on the lugs. I was hoping all I needed was the little plastic cover thingys.

Any significant ride quality difference on the 19's compared to stock?

mmaturo
March 31st, 2006, 07:40
I didn't comment on the ride above but I only had today so far driving back for about an hour after putting them on but yes there is a noticeable difference and more feel. I am OK with it but is more rough over any imperfections and a little more noisy. Going to buy a 5th wheel real soon for the inevitable here in Chicago. My comparison is my Dunlop snow tires so may not be a going comparision for the switch but I can tell I really will need to take it easy over any kind of ruts.

mmaturo
March 31st, 2006, 21:13
Ok since I seem to be an idiot and cannot seem to figure out how to post pictures in my posts (not sure why its not working for me)...check out audiworld.com, RS6 forum (I am MarkNMTT on that site) and check my post about the wheels as I have pictures in the post and in my picture poster over there...if anyone can figure out how to link the pics to here from there feel free.

RS6Canuck
April 2nd, 2006, 17:36
Mark, can you let me know a) what you had to do to get these wheels b) how much they ended up costing you and c) how much you paid for the Michelins?

All going well I will be taking delivery of a Dayton Grey RS6 next Saturday and was already considering getting a pair of the 19" OEM reproductions from Hartmann....until I saw the pictures of your car on 'Audiworld.com' with the Titanium OEM 19's.

jonas21
April 2nd, 2006, 17:53
I am running 19" 255/35 Conti's (SP Cont. 2) on BBS CK. Wetterauer apparently clarified with Continental regarding the (new) highspeed and got them to fax over a confirmation that the tires will do 300+ km/h on this car. However they strongly recommended increasing the tire pressure from 2.7 bar (each tire) to 3.3 bar (front) and 3.1 bar (back). Thats quite a significant increase....

gjg
April 2nd, 2006, 19:20
Jonas21, stock + (19") pressure is 3.4 bar, not 2.7 - that is on normal rs6 with 18"

jonas21
April 2nd, 2006, 19:27
My fuel tank cap reads 2.7bar with 19" 255/35 and 2 persons+small load. 3.4bar is pretty much, continental only allows max 3.5bar on the SP Contact2. You are sure you dont mix anything up?

gjg
April 3rd, 2006, 11:11
I will check fuel cap .... I may be at 44 psi with pisspoor conversion .....
:doh:

aussie rs6
April 3rd, 2006, 12:50
fuel cap reads;

for 255/ 40R18 rim- 8Jx18 normal load; 250 kpa/ 36 psi
max load; 290 kpa/ 42 psi

for 255/35R19 rim- 9Jx19 normal load; 270 kpa/ 39 psi
max load: 310 kpa/ 45 psi.

:addict:

vBob
April 3rd, 2006, 18:34
what's the load ratings of these 19" tires? just carious...

aussie rs6
April 3rd, 2006, 18:57
apologies for incorrect rim width of the 18" rims in previous post- they are of course 8.5J x 18.

fuel flap states tyres must be Y load rated or better.

current tyres are 255/ 35ZR 19 michelin psII on rear and 255/35ZR 19 contintental sports contact II on front. Cannot run this model michelin psII on front as inside rim protector strip rubs on inside strut as per previous posts.

Am attemting to find michelin psII here in Oz without inside rim protector strip for the fronts as per timely advice from mmaturo and qisha.

:addict: :rs6kiss:

gjg
April 4th, 2006, 10:03
load rating on 19" is 96

gjg
April 8th, 2006, 10:01
Originally posted by jonas21

My fuel tank cap reads 2.7bar with 19" 255/35 and 2 persons+small load. 3.4bar is pretty much,

for Plus suspension the pressure setting is higher:

255/40/18 is 2.8 bar light load
255/35/19 is 3.0 bar light load (this is STOCK on +), 3.3 bar loaded
225/45/18 is 3.0 bar light load, winter tier

here is my fuel cap .... if you'd have sports suspension option on normal rs6 this would be the pressude as well.

I run about 3.1-3.2 gas pressure all corners and get even wear.

:idea:

gjg
April 8th, 2006, 10:04
better picture

RS
April 13th, 2006, 16:18
I use 255/35/19 in winter time 3.5 bar pressure:applause:

chutia
April 13th, 2006, 17:45
I have the standard 255/40ZR18's on this car. Could not find any sticker anywhere on this car regarding tire pressure. Tried 42psi front and rear....the ride was atrrociously hard and bone-jarring. Now run 38/38psi. Comments?

gjg
April 14th, 2006, 14:22
suspension on plus is the sport option on standard rs6 and the tire pressure is higher. I will check on pressure setting on normal rs next week, when my partner is in but 38 seems about right

mmaturo
April 14th, 2006, 22:38
Originally posted by aussie rs6
apologies for incorrect rim width of the 18" rims in previous post- they are of course 8.5J x 18.

fuel flap states tyres must be Y load rated or better.

current tyres are 255/ 35ZR 19 michelin psII on rear and 255/35ZR 19 contintental sports contact II on front. Cannot run this model michelin psII on front as inside rim protector strip rubs on inside strut as per previous posts.

Am attemting to find michelin psII here in Oz without inside rim protector strip for the fronts as per timely advice from mmaturo and qisha.

:addict: :rs6kiss:

Have your local tire dealer contact Michelin directly and ask for the tire model number I posted above. Thats what we did. The first customer rep had no idea but we eventually got passed to a tire engineer who confrenced in the customer service reps to line up the right part number for us and release it for sale in the states.