PDA

View Full Version : ABT SP2 or SP1

jiainsmith
March 21st, 2006, 01:52
I am looking at getting either the 19" ABT SP1 or the ABT 20" SP2 wheels. Wanted to know if any of you out there had any comments about ride and handling of 20" wheels v 19" wheels.

I prefer the way the SP2 looks but am concerned that with the bumpy back roads that I may not like the ride or worse damage the rims??

v8a6
April 8th, 2006, 13:40
I have a A6 4.2 which is similar to RS6 in weight and stance. My summer wheels are 20s and my winter are 19s.

If you choose to run 20s, expect to have the rims in for repair at least once a year. Obviously, the shorter sidewall on the 20 inch tires does not provide the same protection available in a 19 inch tire of the same overall diameter. Im on my second set of 20s, and this time around I bought an extra rim in case of extreme damage. In comfort and handling I do not find a big difference between the two.

Also with 20s, you will probably want to lower your car, if its not already. Without lowering you end up with a kinda "wagon wheel" look.

Offset and tire choice is also going to be very important to avoid any rubbing of the sidewall or suspension. Also, load rating will also narrow tire selection since less tire means less air means less load rating (in general.)

In the end, 20s can provide a nice visual impact but expect to deal with experimentation in setup and much more maintenance.

Below is a link of some pics of my car with 20s. Also, there are quite a few pics of RS6s in my Audiworld pic poster with 20s.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/612844.phtml

jiainsmith
April 9th, 2006, 15:09
thanks. car looks HOT, nice paint job too.