PDA

View Full Version : Sports suspension plus - Opinions

tazsura
March 17th, 2006, 14:25
Hi guys,

On the brink of ordering an RS4Avant but still can't decide on which suspension set-up to spec. :doh:

Has anyone tried both set-ups? Or has anyone tested the sports+ suspension and can compare this with any other cars of a similar ilk?

All opinions would be great :bow:

Thanks Taz

deans
March 17th, 2006, 14:33
I'm also interested in this as I have to confirm spec on my car in next few days (saloon).

I owned an Elise 135R for 18 months so not worried about hard/harsh suspension just want the best suspension setup for this car from day one for aggressive road driving.

Currently specing with sports suspension plus unless I get comments that really make me believe otherwise.

Everything I've read sounds 50:50 overall but it depends on what the drivers were looking for.

cheers,
- Dean

tazsura
March 17th, 2006, 14:39
Yeh, i'm inclined to go for the sports+ too...but the only reason would be for looks.

Autocar had the full test on the RS4 last week and they were very impressed with the standard set-up as was EVO and similar motoring journals.. and the car doesn't exactly look bad with standard suspension. They said that they wouldn't go for the sports+ suspension...but didn't say for what reason.

Taran

freerider
March 17th, 2006, 14:40
As told before (there's already a thread about this), it really depends on what you want.

Yes, the sport suspension is quite harsh on bad pavement, but it's so much better in the bends. I thought it was only noticable hard on streets with repeatable holes short after eachother. The car doesn't bounce, but you'll feel it. Bumps at higher speed or speedbumps are hardly noticable.

I would go for the sport suspension+, but I'm young and would care more about handling, rather than comfort, especially with this kind of car.

PS: I've only driven the ss+

Johan

nene
March 17th, 2006, 14:41
This may end up being like the story of the RS6 standard exhaust and Enhanced Sound exhaust. I bet they are charging for something that the normal driver may not actually feel much of a difference.

If you plan on take the car to the track, opt for the 'Plus'. Otherwise, stick with regular option.

Nipper
March 17th, 2006, 16:33
I've spec'd my Avant with Sport Susp +. My decision is based mainly on the visual aspect, but I'm used to a firm ride in my 996 C4S, so I'm not overly concerned if it's v.firm

I have only driven an RS4 with the standard set-up and I must admit that I was very impressed. I'm just drawn to the lowered look.

gnomik007
March 17th, 2006, 16:52
Go 4 sport+
:0:

tailpipe
March 17th, 2006, 18:42
Originally posted by nene
If you plan on take the car to the track, opt for the 'Plus'. Otherwise, stick with regular option.

I concur. Plus is noticeably firmer. Not great for UK roads.

Riz_RS4
March 17th, 2006, 19:03
Originally posted by tailpipe
I concur. Plus is noticeably firmer. Not great for UK roads. Would you say its alot worser than a Golf R32 or the BMW M3?

I have ordered my RS4 with Sports Suspension Plus.... I want the best out of handling!

Riz :)

tailpipe
March 17th, 2006, 20:47
I used to have an M3 and thought the ride was pretty sorted. The standard RS4 suspension has been tuned for UK roads and I thought it was great - although I drove it in Switzerland! (As far as I know, UK-spec suspension is same as other EU markets). Key difference between M3 and RS4 is that in RS4 you don't feel connected with the road in quite the same way - you feel detached - a lot of people would say that's a bad thing. What it means is that the limits of the RS4 are so much greater in most situations you'll never really push the car beyond its capabilities. The achievement with the RS4 suspension etc is simply mind-boggling. With the sports plus, I think you will have greater feel, but I'm pretty sure it will crash over pot-holes and bumps. Over here, you need something with just a tad more compliance.

I would go for standard ride, which is probably better for (female)passengers. Go for "Plus" if you intend to do serious amounts of track work.

I haven't driven the Plus so can't comment directly on it - this is just hearsay. Defintely worth an email to the lads at Autocar or Top Gear.

(R32 doesn't bear comparison with either)

Riz_RS4
March 17th, 2006, 22:48
Thank you :)

Riz:0:

Fab
March 17th, 2006, 23:21
I am happy to read this post as I have been already posting around for comments and views between standard chassis and super plus suspension. Nobody tried both set up yet and you can hear or read both views about it. But it is always nice to hear about comments and rational.

I will test drive the RS4 with super plus suspension next Saturday to really get my own feeling of this spec and take my decision to keep my order as it is (with normal set up) or change it for super plus. I will of course post my impression. I think I will be able to get an objective view as I drove the beast with standard set up a few time.

No doubt, we all agree that the look of the car is (much) better with super plus suspension. The RS4 is a sport car and not a A8 but if the super chassis is too harsh it can be annoying for every day use and/or for passenger and wifes :D . We will not spend our day on track so "minimal confort" is important to me as well.

I talked to a RS4 owner who got its beast 1 month ago and has super plus set up and Recaro seats. He ensures me that the car remains confortable and is much more confortable than its old M3 (with 19"). He drives his car in the city, country side roads and highway and recommended me to go for it as the ride is not harsh at all. The comparison with the M3 with 19" wheels is interesting as he insisted on the fact that the BM was much more harsh.He added that his wife is also happy wereas she was complaining about the M3 ride.

To be honest I am lost with this suspension choice. I hope my test drive next week will make think clear and that I will stop wondering on it. Since I finalized my order 2 weeks ago with standard suspension I can't stop wondering on this matter as I want to make the best choice and have no regret when getting the car.

Will see

IulianUM
March 18th, 2006, 01:58
For me the normal suspension is a bit soft , but I only drove it on the track so ...
I´ve heard that the Sport+ suspension improves the handling , especially on turns , looks better so that was my choice.

Waiting for your review , you are a lucky man , two tests :rs4addict

SoCal
March 18th, 2006, 11:04
Sport+ looks better and may work better for aggressive driving. But how will you really use the car? Unless you plan to spend lots of time on the track, I'd go with the standard set-up not the +. Still sporty with excellent handling. Still an :rs4addict:

For example, here's an extreme, non-Audi comparison: one of my other cars has a stiffer after-market suspension (adjustable racing KONIs with coilovers) that, even when adjusted to the "softest" setting, is unpleasantly rough on city streets. Lowered, the carlooks great, and it handles fabulously on the track or on smooth and twisting mountain roads. City roads are not track-smooth, though. Could be quite jarring if the Sport+ on the RS4 is as stiff as I've heard.

In contrast, the stock suspension for my RS6 with similar DRC as the new RS4 "normal" suspension -- though on a much larger car -- performs well in sporting situations but not at the cost of a comfortable ride as a daily driver. Best of both worlds.

Be sure that your test drive is in the kind of conditions in which you will generally be driving your RS4 after purchase. Look forward to your report.

Fab
March 18th, 2006, 11:32
You are fully right and I agree with you 100%. As I said I don't want to regret and be stock with a harsh car.

I will test both next week and will do that together with my wife and will be testing front and back seats and of course all kind of road surface.

I definitely want to be shure of my choice and will do what needed. I think it will help a lot of us wondering about this spec.

On the other hand most of the cars available at dealers places in Germany have the super sport set up. Which in a way suits the RS4 philosophy.

My S4 has sport springs and remains still ok in terms of confort. My TT V6 roadster has a sporty suspension set up but remains also spoty/confortable. I don't think the super sport will be so harsh but firm for shure. More and more I personally think I will go for the switch. But I may come back next week with a different view. Only test drive will tell.

will see

gazzab
March 19th, 2006, 00:46
As an aside is it possible to upgrade to Plus post production, that might be an option if not happy with the standard.

Gazzab

tazsura
March 19th, 2006, 12:35
Thanks for all your comments guys.

I'm back at the dealer next week for a test drive in a RS with standard set-up. I'll see how it rides and maybe have a bit more info from the guys at the dealership.

I'm not going to be on the track in car and being that I live in London i'm thinking that the standard set-up is probably the best way to go.

The dilemma continues....Good looks or Bad back....:vhmmm:

makara6
March 20th, 2006, 07:21
I have spent ages researching this subject, including Audi Germany etc. It seems to me there will be quite a difference between standard suspension and sports plus. The car with standard suspension is said to be "very good handling standard RS4 with 18 inch wheels"' and "even better handling with the sports suspension plus especially on winding b- or c-type roads, but you definately loose ride comfort". I guess the above is pretty obvious, when you analyze it. I am in my 50's (sadly!!) and will use the car for fun and family (no serious track days),so have ordered the standard set up,18 inch wheels. I like the idea of the look of the sports suspension, but my bones and family ,wouldn't long term. I looked many times at buying a M3, but found the ride harsh, I also think alot of other people might have in the long run, maybe thats why there seems alot of resales of M3's. For me I want a car set up for 99% of my useage needs. Can't wait to get it May. Hope the above helps in your discion.

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:24
Ok guys,

I am just back from my test drive. Together with my wife we drove 2 awsome RS4 daytona grey, one with standard suspension and the other with super sport suspension. The standard on has body color mirrors, the SS one has the aluminium RS mirrors (see pics).

1) Look : Yes indeed there is a difference but not as big as I initially thought. With standard chassis the car looks just amaizing and has quite a low ride. And considering that the cars are just brand new the suspension will just get slightly lower with time as you drive it. Nevertheless the SS chassis gives an additional sportier look but both cars are very close anyway.

Conclusion : very small difference in terms of look (in my opinion).

2) ride confort : The standard chassis is already sporty and as during my previous tests drive you definitely feel you are in a sport car with a pleasant handling at low and high speed. You definitely have a car being at the same time sporty and efficient but with a very decent confort for cruising and family trips.

Nothing new as many of us drove the car already : What a great car :heart:

Then we jumped into the second RS4 with SS chassis. You immediately feel the difference. The car is quite harsh on bad pavements as some of you already reported. It is not overly bad but the confort (driver and front passenger) is noticeably reduced and you feel every holes and bumps immediately. I spent some minutes as front passenger and it is really firm.

Considering the RS4 is a sport car but with (great) allround capabilities my opinion is that it is not worth loosing this confort level for a insignificant better look. Also it seems the efficiency is not tremendously better except maybe for track. For few track days during the year the standard set up will offer a great efficiency anyway and once back on the road you will feel confortable as well.

The only noticeable difference is the steering wheel being less "easy" and a better road connexion at high speed on twisty roads. But again nothing tremendous to say that it is worth to get SS chassis to have a better RS4.

As many of you I was strongly wondering about this spec but this great test opportunity just made my mind very clear : I will not change my order and will keep it as it is with standard chassis.

Of course this is my personal opinion. The way I see this car and will use it is an allround use with hopefully some track days time to time, but mainly for my everyday moves to work, friends, supermaket, week ends, etc. Therefore I am shure the SS chassis is not worth for my needs.

I hope this report will help you in your choice. Of course this is my personal feeling and some may not agree. A single person not planning to often have passenger in the car and who loves agressive driving all the time and who wants to focus on track may naturally get the SS chassis this is obvious. But for every day use and passenger ride it will be harsh.

Now I am relieved and can simply wait my RS4 avant delivery in June without any doubt or regret in my mind.

P.S. Daytona grey is just the best color for this car. It looks so great. I think it is very difficult to capture this color in pics. The best is really to see it in real.

See my below pics. I tried to focus on the ride level on both car. Remember : standard chassis with body color mirror and SS chassis with aluminium RS mirror. Enjoy :thumb:

Ciao

Fab

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:41

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:42

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:42

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:43

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:44

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:49

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:50

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:51

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:52

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:53

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:54

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:55

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:57

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 13:58

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 14:00

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 14:01

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 14:02

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 14:05

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 14:06

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 14:07
.................................................. .......

tailpipe
March 25th, 2006, 15:56
Hey Fab,

Great post! Great pictures! Great job! Thanks for all the useful information. Your twin test drive should help quite a lot of people make up their minds. Thank you.

:0:

I noticed Mrs Fab's delicate hands being put to good work holding a cigarette lighter. I am sure her views influenced your comments. Nothing spoils a good drive more than a girl in the passenger seat complaining about the harshness of the ride.

:D

Anyway you sure reminded us what a great car the RS4 is! :heart:

I think the Avant will be even more spectacular. In fact, the only thing I disagree about is your choice of colour. I find the grey a bit dull. The Sprint blue is absolutely superb. The dark blue and dark green are also excellent. I also like the black.

Fab
March 25th, 2006, 17:12
Hi tailpipe,

I'm happy you liked it.

You're right Mrs Fab actively participated to the test drive :D and obviously she's influencing the choice :argue:

but I am a lucky guy as she's also a car enthusiast :p and we will be sharing the RS4 although she has her own TT V6 roadster that I like very much as well.

QuattroFun
March 25th, 2006, 21:06
Brilliant report - many thx.

Now I know what to expect with my sports suspension plus and since there is no regular Mrs. QuattroFun I should be allright.

My SS plus avus ride should be here in two-three weeks or so (black optics and suede wheel apparently deferring original production by four weeks or so) and try to post some pictures then...

jasaretta
March 25th, 2006, 22:36
Fantastic report thank you for taking the time to write it up and post the pictures. It's what makes this forum awesome.

The comparative pictures were great.

jas

makara6
March 25th, 2006, 22:58
Thanks Fab for the informative response!!. I have spent ages researching this subject, hard to get good info on it. Made my discion after getting info from RS4 development director. Seem to have got it right for my useage, old bones and family. I have also gone for the 18 inch wheel option which is supposedly good (though certainly doesn't look as good as the 19's)..can you get that option in Geneva??. Thanks again for taking the time to post.

gazzab
March 25th, 2006, 23:28
Fab excellent pictures. I think you hit the nail on the head, unless you are a track fanatic it is not worth going down the sports suspension road. In the standard set up it is a good compromise, and lets face it only a few will go on the track and then probably once or twice a year. Disclosure: I have never driven a RS4.

By the way were the tyres exactly the same, as one had red labelling?

Gazzab

Goldorak
March 26th, 2006, 09:38
Wow, great writeup and very nice comparative pics.

No such option in North America AFAIK but still really enjoyed your comparison.

Thanks for sharing.:thumb:

Fab
March 26th, 2006, 10:47
Originally posted by gazzab

By the way were the tyres exactly the same, as one had red labelling?

Gazzab The standard chassis RS4 had Pirelli Rosso, the other Michelin PS2.

Fab
March 26th, 2006, 10:48
Originally posted by QuattroFun

Now I know what to expect with my sports suspension plus and since there is no regular Mrs. QuattroFun I should be allright.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

7:53 RS6
March 26th, 2006, 10:58
Auto motor and sport(swedish version) is exactly in on whats said by Fab about the ride comfort.

But thers no doubt that i personally will have + suspension even lack of comfort. But thats mainly beccuse im at tracks often, what ever i drive for car.

Same mag also saying RS4 only has 349hp on wheels, and that this is a lost of power on 17% which the think is way to much. Lost of tourq is 13% at wheels. To sum it up they mean it could never be 420hp in engine. They also say it cut by 8050 rpm in test which is 200 rpm before whats stated. Its a manual awd so its in ams words in doubt aproved.

Are there any other simular test out ther to comper as this is just one mags rototest?

The tests has been made by www.rototest.com for ams.

If thats the case anyway, im even more impressed of the speed preformed by RS4. 0-100 as well as 0-200. The overall test of the car was done on winter roads and it came out very, very good i think. Only bad as to ams it was the weight to porky and it will probably shown at track, elsewher it do not suffer from it. Its at 1811kg(thas inkluded 75kg driver and gas)

Anyway its AMS word for what its worth, but i think it came out very god in total.

gazzab
March 26th, 2006, 12:24
Cheers Fab

Gazzab

Wavehogger
March 26th, 2006, 15:57
Thanks for the Dyno site 8:05, I live for those graphs.. You're right in that the loss at the wheels is a bit high, though when you're testing AWD cars it isn't as accurate or simple to test as RWD. On the up side, the car still moves and numbers are just numbers when it comes to the RS4.. it's way more than that..

And to comment on the suspension options.. here in the U.S. we don't get a choice. From what i'm told we get the SS and there won't ever be an option not to have it. Which is fine with me, I think if you buy this car you're not buying an A6 or A8.. it's for a whole different reason.. at least for me.. My mission: to explore the dangerous country mountain roads and rip them up, look out chipmunks! :P

Steve

tazsura
March 27th, 2006, 10:02
Thanks Fab. That was a truly quality report (have you thought about a career in journalism? lol)

I thought you had made up my mind and was all set on the standard set-up until I an RS4 pulled up next to me at the petrol station.

Sprint Blue with the SS suspension. The lady who was driving it had previously had an M3 on 19's and commented that she didn't find the suspension much harder than on the Beema. The car didnt look that much lower than the standard car either.

But I think i'm still going to go for the standard set-up.
Thanks Fab!

P.S The lady who drove the RS4 said it was in a 'Different league' to the M3...She has been converted!:rs4addict :rs4addict :rs4addict :rs4addict :rs4addict

Benman
March 27th, 2006, 16:25
Originally posted by Goldorak
Wow, great writeup and very nice comparative pics.

Thanks for sharing.:thumb:
Agree. But why is the Mrs. flipping us all off???:D

Ben:addict:

Fab
April 10th, 2006, 13:47
Guys don't laught :D :harass: :D

After a great week end at Hockenheim for the first DTM race of the season (VIP Audi invitation) and few talks with guys from quattro GMBH and some private owners :

I just changed my order for the Super Sport Chassis :thumb:

So don't look back at my report on page 2 :applause:

P.S. I will post my week end pics and impression in the coming days (plenty of RS4 cabrio pics, new TT, RS4, S6, etc....)

Ciao

Fab

Nipper
April 10th, 2006, 14:03
Nice one Fab!!!

I think you have made the corect choice, but I'm biased as that's what I've ordered.

Out of interest, what specifically made you change your mind?

Fab
April 10th, 2006, 14:30
To be very honest despite my test report the devil came back pretty quickly in my head and I've been wondering every day about the SS until last Saturday :

At the DTM I met a very nice guy (also Audi VIP) he is a RS4 owner (very nice RS4 light grey with SS and RS seats) and we had many discussions and fun. I definitely agree now with the fact that you can't have a compromise with this car (except with the seats) and especially because the car looks SSSSOOOOO NICE with the SS chassis.

We did the way back on the autobahn together, he in front with the RS4 and I chasing him with my TT V6 for almost 250km. The RS4 is tremendously nice with the SS chassis and believe me the noise of the car at 250km/h is mind blowing :MTM:

pics soon !

QuattroFun
April 10th, 2006, 19:30
Fab,

My, my...so you were in the end tempted to the dark (or should I say rough) side as well. Nice!

Finally picking up mine this week - let us see how soon I will develop back pains...

IulianUM
April 11th, 2006, 21:05
Fab welcome to the dark side , :thumb: again .
A weekend at the races , Audi treats you well ...:D .

The pics , the pics , please :trash:

QuattroFun
April 11th, 2006, 21:26
OK first impressions (been on the twisty & bumpy stuff but not really pushed the car yet):

1) The SS Plus is actually quite reasonable on bad pavement IMHO - yes, you sure do feel the bumps & holes but it is definately no worse than,say, the S4 or A4 on big wheels & sports suspension and really overall more in the firm & feelsome category than harsh & crashy class

2) The body control, agility and steering feel are much improved on the S4 and the car feels lively for its weight (1715kg for mine)

3) The new tight engine feels pretty nice already at max 4000 revs and will surely get better - s button exhaust note rocks

4) Optically, dare I say it, I might just be in love - of course I am biased but black optics, 19", SS Plus, Valcona buckets and Suede steering wheel & gear knob look and feel good and satisfying (at least for now...lets see how some of the items withstand wear)

:rs4addict

Fab
April 12th, 2006, 07:31
Apart from the look (much better with SS) what also made me wondering is that the steering wheel feeling and the car attitude at high speed on twisty roads is (obviously) much better than with standard suspension set up.

Of course the above seems so obvious but what I mean is that you feel the difference immediately when comparing both cars which means the effciency upgrade is quite important.

During my DTM week end I had the opportunity to speak with big chiefs form Quattro GMBH and Switzerland Audi chiefs. I took this opportunity to ask the Swiss guy to closely look after my order as I placed my CHF 5k ticket 2 years ago and that I am a good Audi client blablabla.... So the guy (very nice) tokk my phone number and rung me back yesterday. I have the production date for RS4 Avant :

He told me he highlited my order within the already big 200 RS4 avant order in Switzerland and ensured me to be within the first 3 delivery in Geneva. WHOW !!!

Production start : week 22nd
My production week : week 22-23 :D
My delivery week : week 25-26th :incar:

I am just made wainting for this car
:heart:

I will be posting nive pics soon for shure. Sorry but I am quite busy those days.

Ciao

Fab

MR USER
April 12th, 2006, 13:59
Hi FAB, where did you order yours? Amag or you went to audi in Lausanne? It will be nice to have a nice criuse up and down the mont blanc road once you get yours... I enjoy that road a lot.. but no space for mistakes...

Fab
April 12th, 2006, 14:05
Hi,

My dealer is Audi Monbrillant in Geneva. Why not for a nice ride around I will driving like crazy upon delivery:incar:

deans
April 12th, 2006, 14:08
MR USER, what road are you refering to (re Mont Blanc). Just come back from Chamonix and love the road back down towards Geneva although I got flashed by a camera under a bridge - was driving some Toyota MPV :D

I get my RS4 in a few months and I'm driving to Mont Blanc (then climbing it but that's for another forum) in August.

Prey tell what road you talk of, wouldn't want to miss out!

MR USER
April 13th, 2006, 08:31
Fab, I got mine too there!!! Who is your sales guy?

Deans, I'm talking about the road that from Geneva goes to Chamonix (high speed turns) and the way down (3 gear corners).

With my old car (A4 tdi quattro) I did not find a single driver that could keep up... except ones where a super cool guy in its 50s on an old british convert (jag or mg, not sure). :bow:

Well he was driving that old beauty well over the limit... sideways most turns. And trust me he knew what he was doing as you dont' drive a car like that in that way unless you are realy good!!!