PDA

View Full Version : Audi Signs Exclusive Agreement With Sirius Satellite Radio

Erik
March 17th, 2006, 14:18
AUDI SIGNS EXCLUSIVE AGREEMENT WITH SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO

Mich. – Audi of America, Inc. today announced that it will offer SIRIUS Satellite Radio as its exclusive satellite radio provider for Audi vehicles beginning with model year 2007 through 2012.

Previously, Audi offered both SIRIUS and XM satellite radio, but selected SIRIUS as its exclusive provider to reduce complexity in dealer ordering.

“We decided that the Audi customer demographic fit more closely with the type of content that SIRIUS Satellite radio provides,” said Wolfgang Hoffmann, head of Audi Product Management. “And we believe that SIRIUS will continue to grow and create programming that our Audi customers will desire.”

Today, the installation rate of satellite radio in Audi models is approximately 50 percent.

“We are very pleased that Audi will be offering SIRIUS exclusively beginning with the 2007 model year,” said Mel Karmazin, CEO of SIRIUS. “We have had an excellent relationship with Audi as a non-exclusive partner during the past few years, and we are very pleased that they have decided to increase their commitment through this new, exclusive agreement. We look forward to working with them in the future to provide their customers with the most compelling in-vehicle entertainment available.”

Benman
March 17th, 2006, 15:52
Well, gee, I guess it was a good thing I was leaning towards getting SIRIUS over XM in the Q7! (I'll take Howard Stern over Oprah any day!:p ).

But that is weird considering they still show the choice for XM on the 07' Q7?:vhmmm:

Ben:addict:

gjg
March 17th, 2006, 16:01
Ophar who?

JAXRS6
March 19th, 2006, 18:03
Originally posted by Benman
Well, gee, I guess it was a good thing I was leaning towards getting SIRIUS over XM in the Q7! (I'll take Howard Stern over Oprah any day!:p ).

Interesting. I'm not a big Oprah fan, I haven't heard Howard's radio work lately, and I intend no offense to anyone here. But when Stern was on MSNBC TV I kept waiting for him to reveal some talent. Lasciviousness he had, in abundance, but I hadn't really thought of that as talent.

Many others must disagree, or perhaps I underestimate the value of world class lasciviousness. Otherwise Sirius wouldn't be serious to the tune of his $500 million deal. :deal:

I got aftermarket sat radio when it first came out. Tried XM, liked it, switched to Sirius for comparison when I got my RS6, didn't like it having only one pop music channel. So I found another guy here who had XM and we swapped the hardware. I'm glad I went back. If I lived someplace with a good football team, I'd miss the NFL games on Sirius. But my hometown is near Detroit, which, for anyone familiar with the NFL, should be all I need to say.
-------------------------------
Gig -- Oprah Winfrey is a popular and powerful US TV talk show host who sometimes makes news. She's not known in Europe?

Benman
March 20th, 2006, 15:06
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Interesting. I'm not a big Oprah fan, I haven't heard Howard's radio work lately, and I intend no offense to anyone here. But when Stern was on MSNBC TV I kept waiting for him to reveal some talent. Lasciviousness he had, in abundance, but I hadn't really thought of that as talent.

No offense taken, Howard ain't my boyfriend or nothing...:D Just rather listen to him than Oprah... but rather listen to music than either...:D

Ben:addict:

nene
March 20th, 2006, 15:55
One of the things that impressed me is that they provided the seletion of going with either Satellite radio providers. I guess their 'Never Follow' mantra fails to apply to radio.

All other car companies have chosen to go with one or the other. I guess all it matters for the bean counters is how much they get paid for having Sirius exclusively.

I am an XM fan, so as you can guess, I'm pretty pissed about this decision.

JAXRS6
March 20th, 2006, 17:32
Originally posted by nene
One of the things that impressed me is that they provided the seletion of going with either Satellite radio providers. I guess their 'Never Follow' mantra fails to apply to radio ...I am an XM fan, so as you can guess, I'm pretty pissed about this decision.

Agreed. Sirius must have offered a better deal if made exclusive, and Audi went for the bucks rather than customer satisfaction (by maintaining a choice). What other reason could there be?

The argument that Sirius content better matches Audi demographics makes little sense to me. As said earlier, I've had both, and Sirius offers NFL, more hip hop channels, NPR & Howard Stern (now there's a pair!). XM has three choices for pop/contemorary, with seemingly less chat on any of them than on the single Sirius pop channel. I don't miss NPR because I can pick it up the best of it on my broadcast radio almost anywhere, but I will give Sirius the edge in sports programming. I'd rather have access to the NFL, NBA and Final Four than baseball and NASCAR.

But if you're considering XM for your RS6, you should still be able to do it, since the news release refers to Sirius exclusivity that begins with the 2007 model year.

Aronis
March 20th, 2006, 18:06
Just another Engineering Challenge they are passing on. Make one receiver "BOX" that does them both. What would the cost be? They charge $400 plus bucks for either module. Can't image it would be that difficult to make a 'box' that does them both and just sell one. Have the customer flip a switch to pick which they want.

Mike

JAXRS6
March 20th, 2006, 18:23
Originally posted by Aronis
Can't image it would be that difficult to make a 'box' that does them both and just sell one

You're probably right -- it should be simple to do. The problem, I would guess, is getting permission from two extremely competitive companies to cooperate in signing off on the rights to make such a device.

Aronis
March 20th, 2006, 19:10
um, they have exclusive rights on a RECEIVER DESIGN.

Had not thought of that....um.....I guess because it's a signal from above the atmosphere it's not regulated in the same way as the rest of the broadcast system.

I'll need to read up on that one.

Um, I think I'll design a RECEIVER for both AM and FM and throw in TV too....no wait have to get permission....Don't Think So.

Now curiosity is getting to me. Surfing I go.................

Mike

JAXRS6
March 20th, 2006, 19:59
Originally posted by Aronis
Um, I think I'll design a RECEIVER for both AM and FM and throw in TV too....no wait have to get permission....Don't Think So.

Signals for satellite radio come from satellites and are exclusive to those with the right equipment. AM, FM and local TV stations "cast" a "broad" signal on public airwaves available to everyone. Hence the term broadcast, which technically does not apply to satellite or cable.

Another difference: the FCC has a lot to say about content of AM, FM and broadcast TV content. It has little or no control over satellite or cable content. Hence Howard Stern's career turn: Chastised and fined for his content on public airwaves, he switched to Sirius for a mere 500 mil, a boatload of publicity, and freedom to say what he wants.

Aronis
March 20th, 2006, 20:04
I'm just surpised there is not a bootleg receiver on the market to get XM or Sirius for free like the old cable boxes LOL.

I like XM, but am sure that Sirius is just as great!

Since I got an IPOD I use the XM for Fox News!

Mike

JAXRS6
March 21st, 2006, 19:17
Here's an article on the change from Reuters. Turns out it's not just Audi but VW too in the US. I'm still not sure I can believe any of the reasoning given, by Audi or XM, but here's the piece:

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=11571095&src=www.dailytech.com

GoFastKindaGuy
March 24th, 2006, 16:49
It is lame to lose the choice. I guess I'll go aftermarket XM on my next Audi...

or consider a switch of brand:eek: (Sad after 5 quattros, but audio is important for a commuter.)

Spam16v
April 4th, 2006, 19:30
i've never removed a Sirius unit to install an XM unit, nor has anyone else to my knowledge in the dealer. i've removed piles of XM and put in Sirus. and i can probably count on one hand the number of XM units i have installed that had none from the factory. Sirius unit's are commonly on backorder and we send XM units back all the time for buy back. its a numbers game..... Sirius sells, and XM is dying. i had it in my Honda factory and they keep offering me lower and lower rates to turn it back on after the free trial. there is only one station i can stomach on XM and about a dozen on Sirius that i enjoy.

JAXRS6
April 4th, 2006, 20:20
Originally posted by Spam16v
i've never removed a Sirius unit to install an XM unit, nor has anyone else to my knowledge in the dealer.

For the record, it has been done -- by me, with no regrets.:D I started with aftermarket XM in my B5 S4, decided to try Sirius in my RS6, but didn't care for its pop/contemporary hits station. I spend more time listening to that format than any other, Sirius has only one such station, and it had more chat than any of XM's three choices. So I swapped my Sirius unit for an XM module owned by another guy on this board.

There were things I liked about Sirius, like the NFL coverage. But that counts only once a week during a limited season, and TV is my first choice for football anyway. Traffic alerts are much more important to me on my car radio, and XM has one station that covers only my hometown whereas on Sirius, I have to listen to traffic & weather from another market too.

My preferences could change as programming choices change, and who knows what I'll get in my next car. But members here should not believe that XM is dying, or inferior. It's a matter of personal preferences. If you prefer contemporary hits to Howard Stern, XM the obvious choice.:thumb:

And since XM won't be available on future Audis, AOA just gave me another reason to look at its competition before my next purchase.

Another thought: Financially speaking, XM faces less of an uphill climb because they didn't agree to pay someone $500 mil over five years.

Spam16v
April 4th, 2006, 21:58
Originally posted by JAXRS6

Another thought: Financially speaking, XM faces less of an uphill climb because they didn't agree to pay someone $500 mil over five years.

hahaha yeah that really sucks for them. but, thier sales and users are through the roof. the table would be tipped the other way had XM coughed up the cash for Howie. who knows, give it a few years im sure alot of things will suprise us with this form of media.