PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warrantee - anyone have info, specs, price? Thanks

Aronis
March 17th, 2006, 13:36
thanks

nene
March 17th, 2006, 14:43
I inquired about it from my dealer too, however never followed up on it. I think it is time to take another crack at it. Nothing useful to add at this time.

Aronis
March 17th, 2006, 14:56
[i] Nothing useful to add at this time. [/B]
:dance:

gjg
March 17th, 2006, 15:51
Mike I have the docs somewhere - send me pm with your e-mail and I'll forward it.

gg

SoCal
March 18th, 2006, 10:02
As it happens, I was at my Audi dealer just this week (for new front brake pads) and asked about extended warranties. I'm a long way off from needing one yet, given my low mileage, but ultimately I may want to purchase a plan. The dealer gave me a brochure for extended warranty coverage from JM&A group through Fidelity Warranty Services, which the dealer recommends.

I cannot vouch for that company personally and have no idea what the premium would be for an RS6. (JM&A does more than sell warranty insurance: their main business is consulting with car dealers to boost their profits. Hmmmm.) The phone number on the brochure, if you want to inquire, is 1-800-327-5172. I'd be interested to know what you learn. The only coverage they offer that would seem to make sense is the top of their 4 coverage levels ("Platinum"). It is exclusionary -- i.e. it covers everything EXCEPT items that are specifically excluded (like shocks, brakes, exhaust and other items that are covered by the original factory warranty but not the extended warranty). The lower tier coverages cover only certain itemized components (i.e. if it's not listed, they don't cover it) and may not be worth the money.

A few years ago, I bought an extended warranty from GE on a different car. They were good to deal with and promptly refunded my pro rated premium when I sold the car, but I only had to make one claim and it was minor. So I can't comment on how they rate now.

GEICO has a comprehensive plan for Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. It looks like much broader coverage (everything other than wear-and-tear items) but may have to be purchased when the car is relatively new. I'm not sure. It can be extended past the original manufacturer's warranty, and the premiums are payable as you go, not in a lump sum up front.

There were several complaints on other internet blogs about specific auto warranty providers -- including JM&A/Fidelity, Continental/CNA and others. Most of the complaints were for denied claims, cumbersome pre-approval processes, or policies that didn't match the sales descriptions. (FOR ANY WARRANTY INSURANCE, READ IT VERY CLOSELY BEFORE YOU SIGN!) I don't think Continental's policy would cover an RS6, since they won't write coverage for exotics or high performance cars, nor will they cover any cars that have been modified. Even if it did, they have no exclusionary coverage plans.

There are several more companies that advertise on the internet (theautoclub.com, warrantydirect.com, autowarrantybroker.com, to name a few). I don't know if any of them are any good. I do know that they do not list the RS6 as a covered model and I haven't inquired any further at this point.

Please share what you learn. If I find out more, I will post it.

Good luck.

quattroboy
March 19th, 2006, 00:01
I recently turned in my 2002 A6 2.7t as the lease ended, and toyed with the idea of keeping it as my daily driver. As it was just out of warranty, I looked into an extended warranty and my Audi dealer recommended a policy sold by their sister dealership, which is apparently underwritten by Honda (the dealerships are next to each other and owned by the same guy). It was about half the cost of the Audi plan, but they will insure any car after they inspect it. For reasons that involved the residual value vs worth of the car, I decided not to keep my A6, but the warranty was attractive. I will see if I kept the paperwork and get you a phone number.