PDA

View Full Version : help, I need advice from B7rs4 owners/experts

dddd
March 17th, 2006, 08:01
I'm looking at placing an order for the new RS4, however, I'm having trouble finding answers to some simple questions.

1. RS Bucket seats - do they impede on the rear seat leg room more than conventional A4 bucket seats ?

2. How comfortable are you finding the RS buckets on long trips?

3. The adjustment of the side bolsters of the RS bucket seats, are they only on the driver's side or is it also on the passenger's side as well? If so do these also tighten up as per the driver's side when the S button is pushed?

4. I believe that the rear seats are different to conventional S4 seats, does anyone have a picture of them?

5. Does anyone know if the inlet manifold on the RS4 is variable i.e. like the new AMG 63 motor?

6. What is your opinion on the ride comfort of the RS4 and what would you compare it to (i.e. what cars have you had previously)?

Any feedback on the above would be much appreciated.

tailpipe
March 17th, 2006, 10:18
Originally posted by dddd
[B]I'm looking at placing an order for the new RS4, however, I'm having trouble finding answers to some simple questions.

1. RS Bucket seats - do they impede on the rear seat leg room more than conventional A4 bucket seats ? A little bit, yes, but only because the backs are solid so don't give when rear passengers' knees touch them

2. How comfortable are you finding the RS buckets on long trips?
Not as comfortable as the standard Recaros - and if you're broad across the beam, you may find standard sports buckets very snug indeed!

3. The adjustment of the side bolsters of the RS bucket seats, are they only on the driver's side or is it also on the passenger's side as well? If so do these also tighten up as per the driver's side when the S button is pushed? Good question, I imagine only the driver's seat adjusts, but may be wrong

4. I believe that the rear seats are different to conventional S4 seats, does anyone have a picture of them? They are virtually the same as standard A4/ S4 rear seats; the only difference is in the covering and RS4 logos

5. Does anyone know if the inlet manifold on the RS4 is variable i.e. like the new AMG 63 motor? No, it isn't variable

6. What is your opinion on the ride comfort of the RS4 and what would you compare it to (i.e. what cars have you had previously)?
Ride comfort on standard RS4 suspension is extremely good; this is the best riding Audi currently in production. Period. It is certainly better than E46 BMW M3 and last RS6. There is no AWD car that rides better except a Range Rover Sport - but this is hardly a high performance saloon
Any feedback on the above would be much appreciated.] [/B

tailpipe
March 17th, 2006, 10:24
in addition to above comments, my understanding is that US customers are not getting the RS$ sports steering wheel or sports buckets seats.

Don't let this worry you.

I much prefer the standard Sports Recaros. They are much better on a long trip and more adjutable. They don't look as good, but, hey guys, we care about subtance not image, right?

As for the steering wheel. This is a bit of a gimmick as well. in fact, if Europeans want to have a hands free bluetooth phone fitted in the arm rest - and most of us do - then we have to have a different wheel. The alternative is fine.

The important thing to remember about the RS4 is the handling and that engine.

Erik
March 17th, 2006, 10:43
I don't have much to add but that the RS4 sports seats are the best in the market.

More details, no pic of the pass seat though.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7650&highlight=gotland

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8082&highlight=gotland

Isn't Internet wonderful?

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/GRING-2005-7.JPGhttp://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/GRING-2005-9.JPG

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/GRING-2005-10.JPG

freerider
March 17th, 2006, 12:27
3. The adjustment of the side bolsters of the RS bucket seats, are they only on the driver's side or is it also on the passenger's side as well? If so do these also tighten up as per the driver's side when the S button is pushed? Good question, I imagine only the driver's seat adjusts, but may be wrong

Both seats' side bolsters are adjustable. Driver and passenger. Nothing happens to seats when you push the S-button.

Johan

dddd
March 17th, 2006, 20:48
Thank's for all your reply's , their was one more question. The 420hp, is that generated only when the exhaust valves (at the rear of the exhaust system)are open ? If so does that mean they open automatically at high rpm regardless of whether the S button has been activated ?
The RS buckets being tight on broad people, is that even after they have been adjusted out to their widest position ?
Also I downloaded a PDF on the RS4 last night (from audi USA) and it stated it does have a variable inlet manifold ? could be wrong.

johnw3d
March 17th, 2006, 23:29
Can you give us a link to the PDF you got from Audi USA - I can't find it on their website?

Thanks very much,
John.

IulianUM
March 18th, 2006, 01:44
In a "Product information" brochure its said something like :

"The Sport(programable) key allows, among other functions, to modify the characteristic curve of the accelerator pedal. This allows a progressive response of the motor and causes an alteration of the sound of the motor. At the same time, the side bolsters of sport seat RS(Bucket) , inflate to firmly hold to the driver, improving the lateral subjection. (May be turned off)"

This traduction sounds rather strange to me but...:eye:

The two little buttons at the front of the bucket seats (first image) are for the adjustment of the bolsters , up and down.
For me this seats are really good and comfortable.
The video of the RS4 vs C55 review shows the rear seat leg room.

Hope that somebody understands this . :trash:

PoloBoy
March 18th, 2006, 03:10
Originally posted by freerider
Nothing happens to seats when you push the S-button.

Johan

This is wrong. The seat thightens when you push the S-button, but ONLY the driver seat.

I`ve tested this myself at Audi Driving Experience last monday! ;)

doc1
March 18th, 2006, 06:53
Picked up my RS4 yesterday. I have to say it was a mistake to have the bucket seats, they're far too narrow for me. I'll have to stop cycling so my thighs reduce in size!

Im going to see how much it will cost to replace the front seats, and keep the buckets for when i sell it.

Get a test drive before you decide, i wish i had.

Rob

freerider
March 18th, 2006, 12:51
Originally posted by PoloBoy
This is wrong. The seat thightens when you push the S-button, but ONLY the driver seat.

I`ve tested this myself at Audi Driving Experience last monday! ;)

I've driven it too, but I didn't notice it. Have to testdrive again and find out :D.

dddd
March 19th, 2006, 05:34
Originally posted by doc1
Picked up my RS4 yesterday. I have to say it was a mistake to have the bucket seats, they're far too narrow for me. I'll have to stop cycling so my thighs reduce in size!

Im going to see how much it will cost to replace the front seats, and keep the buckets for when i sell it.

Get a test drive before you decide, i wish i had.

Rob
doc - are the seats only tight in the base or is also tight in the backrest as well. How do you find the car overall?

doc1
March 20th, 2006, 08:04
There too tight in the base, the back is fine.

As for the car, its brilliant