PDA

View Full Version : New 911 Turbo (997) or an Audi RS4?

March 16th, 2006, 22:57
After visiting the Porsche Showroom near me and talking to the sales manager, I really like the sound of the new 911 Turbo. The problem is, I really really want a new RS4. I own a 911 (996) Turbo S and an Audi RS4 (mk1), and I think that they are both brilliant cars for charging up and down the motorways. Unfortunatly I have to make the desision of whether to buy the new 911 Turbo or the new RS4! I'm in need of urgent help!!!

007 :rs4addict :vhmmm:

Riz_RS4
March 16th, 2006, 23:49
Both very different cars...... which would you use the most? do you need space and rear seats etc?

Im a hardcore fan of the RS4... and I prefer something different and rare... Porsche are great drivers cars but they seem to look abit tame these days....

I would get a fully loaded RS4!

Riz :)

Benman
March 17th, 2006, 00:06
Originally posted by Riz_RS4

I would get a fully loaded RS4!

Riz :)

Easy choice! :rs4addict :D

Save your $$$ and get the RS 4!

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
March 17th, 2006, 00:31
I presume i am going to be ''flamed'' now, but... :)

''911 turbo'' would be my choice.

Erik
March 17th, 2006, 07:34
If no kids, get the 997 Turbo! :hahahehe:

Sutters
March 17th, 2006, 08:05
My kids are only getting bigger so I am infact selling my 996TT and have an RS4 on order. I do not expect the RS4 to turn heads nor give me the performance I was used to with the Turbo (DMS tuned 500BHP and a similar Torque fig) but circumstances change.

Thus your decision should only be made on what you or your family want and need from the car and not a flat comparison.

..Ian

March 17th, 2006, 09:26
Well I don't have any kids, and I'm not planning on any in the future just yet. Who ever said that the Porsche was tame, they are quite the opposite, I've been in two situations when I could have really lost the car at high speed, both on the Isle of Man! Even if I do have kids in the near future I have a Range Rover that would kart them about. I'm still not too sure, and to make matters worse I'm off to test drive an Aston Martin DB9 today!

007 :rs4addict

Sutters
March 17th, 2006, 09:30
007, DB9..nice, id have that over a 996 TT all day but not over the 997 TT.

Why not order the RS4 and buy a 996 TT...less that £100K spent on 2 cars, same as 1 DB9!

..IS

BBGT2
March 17th, 2006, 13:28
Originally posted by AndyBG
I presume i am going to be ''flamed'' now, but... :)

''911 turbo'' would be my choice.

You said it my brother, I say go for the 997TT, 3.4 seconds to 60mph in a auto.

Bajo:addict:

Prof Gascan
March 17th, 2006, 15:02
As much as I love the RS4 (trust me, I do,) there is absolutely no way I would even consider buying one if I could buy a 997 TT. Not even for a second.

http://www.porsche.com/all/masterwerk/assets/downloads/wallpapers/3_800x600.jpg

Sutters
March 17th, 2006, 15:21
Prof, I am prob a little light in the wallet (but not too out of reach) to buy a 997 TT, I have a 996 TT (DMS Tuned) which sits in the garage awiting for me not to have 3 kids and a ton of rugby training equipment to ferry around on a lovely spring Sunday morning.

This isn't going to happen so the RS4 i think will be the next best thing.

But I agree with you all the way fella!

Nipper
March 17th, 2006, 16:37
If you have to choose only 1 and you don't have kids, then it's the 997 turbo, no contest.

But, why not have the RS4 as the daily, and have a used 996TT for the weekends!!!

Sutters
March 17th, 2006, 16:46
Well I can answer that, my Mrs insists on taking another extra 3 kids on the school run for other people (why I don't know. I did pull her on it and was accused of being hum bug). So we have a Chrysler voyager bus, and a 55 reg Megane 225 sport (which may have to go to). So got 3 cars with the RS4 on one order.

It all about room on the drive, how much you use them and money more importantly at the end of the day.

Prof Gascan
March 17th, 2006, 16:57
I should have added that if room isn't a problem, then its 997 TT all the way. Given the need for a useable rear seat however, there can be only one. :rs4addict

steffenr
March 17th, 2006, 19:06
Porsche 911 TURBO. RS4 or a DB9 that is one of lifes hard choices, a would go for the aston or the RS.

Aston because of the looks, damn that is one good looking car
RS because its an audi RS:p

March 17th, 2006, 21:15
I've driven the DB9 and I can safely say, if I wasn't completely stumped before, I am now! The power and the noise of the car was something else. I managed to clock the car at 127mph (about 190km/h I think) , but the sales man wasn't impressed, I think I scared him.

I already have a Supercharged Range Rover for my weekly car, and I tend to use my RS4 (mk1) and Porsche (996) at the weekends only, unless I'm doing a particurly long journey, in which case I take the Porsche. I haven't driven the new 997 Turbo, but I can only expect that it will be nothing less than amazing. But then again the Aston and the RS4 (mk2) were pretty amazing too. Maybe I should have each one for a week and see which one is easiest to live with, but do I really care? God someone help me!!! Or maybe I should sell the Range Rover and buy the Cayenne Turbo S and the RS4.

007 :rs4addict :doh:

AndyBG
March 18th, 2006, 00:52
I think you should go for 911 turbo now, and wait untill october for facelifted Cayenne to arive, then sell your Range R and get yourself new facelifted Cayenne turbo S.

Andy

DaytonaGreyRS4
March 18th, 2006, 01:56
Originally posted by Prof Gascan
As much as I love the RS4 (trust me, I do,) there is absolutely no way I would even consider buying one if I could buy a 997 TT. Not even for a second.

Agreed... if he can afford I'd go for the Porsche.

IulianUM
March 18th, 2006, 02:08
I´m waiting my RS4 , but that Porsche ...
Enjoy your decisions.
:rs4addict

SoCal
March 18th, 2006, 10:48
From what you said, it's easy. 997 TT. If you can afford it, with no kids to cart around and other cars available...I mean, what more could you want?

Now, don't get me wrong....I'm an Audi fan. Of course, RS4 for seating and storage is best compromise between sport and daily uses, and a lot of fun I'm sure, but it doesn't sound like you need to compromise. It's not a new Porsche 911 Turbo.

The Aston is gorgeous to look at and sounds awesome, and yes it's more exclusive, but the performance just can't compare to the Porsche. The Porsche also wins for long term reliability and percentage depreciation. You'll be smiling so much when you drive, you won't have time to care what others think, anyway. :incar:

What a nice "problem" to have.:thumb:

March 18th, 2006, 12:14
Originally posted by SoCal
The Aston is gorgeous to look at and sounds awesome, and yes it's more exclusive, but the performance just can't compare to the Porsche. The Porsche also wins for long term reliability and percentage depreciation. You'll be smiling so much when you drive, you won't have time to care what others think, anyway. :incar:

What a nice "problem" to have.:thumb:

You are so right! I can wait 6 months and then buy the RS4, and then sell the Range Rover to buy the facelifted Cayenne Turbo S around christmas time. :dance:

Just one more problem, where on earth am I going to keep all 5 cars without upsetting my naighbours? :harass:

I think thats going to be what I will do :thumb:

gazzab
March 19th, 2006, 00:42
Interesting, one of the Aussie Motoring Scribes reviewed the DB9, said it was very much a weekend car.

Gazzab

March 19th, 2006, 18:25
It is but it just isn't as fast as a 997 Turbo.

0-60: DB9- 5.1secs
996- 3.4secs

The Aston is a brilliant car, don't get me wrong, and its such a beautiful car, but when it comes to the performance and everyday useage (not that I'll use it everyday), the Porsche is just so far ahead of the Aston, infact its in a different league! The new 911 Turbo isn't just a sports car, its now a supercar!

Its so good, I'm going to place my order this week! I've been on the Porsche website on the car configurator, I think I'm going to have it in Slate Gray with the Terracotta interior!

Thanks for the help!!

jonas_dg
March 19th, 2006, 18:28
kids easily fit in cupholders, right :360:? get the 997TT :D

Sutters
March 20th, 2006, 07:51
Kids do easily fit in cup holders...but then they grow and just don't fit any more! :doh:

March 20th, 2006, 19:06
Ha ha! :harass:

Thank goodness I don't have to worry about them!

maickel
March 30th, 2006, 20:56
Have you not considered to buy an Ferrari F430, I have heard that is the best car Ferrari ever produced and if am not mistaken it is in the same price range as the Porsche.
And The Ferrari has the same preformence and looks at least
2 times better than the porsche

AndyBG
March 31st, 2006, 00:55
Please, don't compare, german's finest with italian trash!

Benman
March 31st, 2006, 02:32
Please, don't compare, german's finest with italian trash!

:applause: :applause:

nene
March 31st, 2006, 03:21
997 Turbo is my choice.

March 31st, 2006, 21:35
Originally posted by maickel
Have you not considered to buy an Ferrari F430, I have heard that is the best car Ferrari ever produced and if am not mistaken it is in the same price range as the Porsche.
And The Ferrari has the same preformence and looks at least
2 times better than the porsche :doh:

The 911 Turbo is out of the Ferrari's league! It does 0-60 in 3.4secs, the F430 takes 4.1 secs. The 911 does 192mph and the Ferrari does 196mph, which isn't enough to worry me!
I actually have a friend who bought the F430, and needless to say he is now trying to sell it! The nose was too low and he couldn't take it anywhere because of speed bumps! Where is the fun in that!?

On terms of looks, I completely disagree. I think the new 911 looks, sounds and feels amazing! There is definatly a certain buzz you get when you drive one! The chassis is so refined and taught, it feels magical, as does the engine!

If I was going to consider buying any car other than the new 911 Turbo, it would have to be something really, really special. Like a Mercedes SLR or a Carrera GT. :D

Leadfoot
March 31st, 2006, 22:26
Guys,

How can you compare one with the other. The porsche is almost twice the price, goes like thunder and pull chicks like no other.

So for a good looking bloke like me who does not need it, I'll take the RS4 and the spare cash but all you ugly ones, have the porsche. It's your only chance to get some action.
:hahahehe: :rs4addict

AndyBG
April 1st, 2006, 01:36
Originally posted by Leadfoot
... but all you ugly ones, have the porsche. It's your only chance to get some action.

That is nice, but what you are going to do with those good lookin and driving Porsches?

:D :D :D

:hahahehe:

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2006, 10:53
:vhmmm:
Let down their tyres, what else.
:bye2:

maickel
April 1st, 2006, 13:40
I have not driven nither of the cars but a have seen the eposid of Topgear were Jeramy Clarkson sade that the F430 was the best car ever made. That it is bibilical in all kind of road in the city as well as on the track. And his co-host May sade that by getting from an Aston Martin DB9 to the F430 is like going 1000 years in the future. Dont get my wrong I hate Ferrari as a Brand and love porsche but every test I seen or read the conclusion that it is possible the best car ever made. And if the 997 Turbo is better, O my good how god is it :bow:

AndyBG
April 1st, 2006, 14:57

Let down their tyres, what else.

:)

Yes, but now every car have those ''run flat tyres''.

Iceman
April 1st, 2006, 15:09
Originally posted by 007
Or maybe I should sell the Range Rover and buy the Cayenne Turbo S
Or wait for the Audi Q7 5.2 FSI Quattro 450 hp.

Hans.

April 2nd, 2006, 19:02
As much as I just adore Audi, I would never buy the Q7 for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Porsche Cayman. The Cayman is a tamed down 911, and the Q7 is a tamed down Cayenne, so why would I want to buy the tamed down version, when I could have the full blown works of the Cayenne Turbo S?
Also the Q7 is a family car, and just right now, I don't need one. Nor will I in the near future. (fingers crossed!) :looking:

Benman
April 3rd, 2006, 15:12
That is nice, but what you are going to do with those good lookin and driving Porsches?

:hahahehe:

That's why you have two arms and hands...:D

Ben:addict:

April 6th, 2006, 14:10
Guys,

How can you compare one with the other. The porsche is almost twice the price, goes like thunder and pull chicks like no other.

So for a good looking bloke like me who does not need it, I'll take the RS4 and the spare cash but all you ugly ones, have the porsche. It's your only chance to get some action.

:argue:

I'm not buying the 997 Turbo to "pull chicks"! They aren't in short supply thanks, and as for calling yourself good looking, let other people be the judge of that! I want the 997 Turbo because it will go like s**t off a shovel and over the last 40 years there have been some amazing engineering tweaks that have honed the 911 into what it is now, an outstanding supercar which has even sent shivers down the Ferrari engineer's backs for years!

As for twice the price, its your own fault if you have to worry about the bloody spare cash! Maybe you should have worked harder at school! :bye2:

007 :rs4addict :king:

yetis
April 6th, 2006, 16:15
Buying a Porsche to cruise for chicks, that's funny. All I can say is RS4 CAB.....

Being this is an Audi forum, its understandable that the board favors the RS4. I was on the list and have since walked in favor of a GT3. TOTALLY different car, yes I know. For a brief moment, I thought that the RS4 would be a good track car... Well, maybe when compared to a s4, its a great track car.

In terms of a Turbo, the biggest challenge for me is that for $75k, I can get a used 996Turbo, with a 2 year warranty. A 996 Turbo has to be one of the best deals going in the performance car category today. If the 420 hp is not enough for you, a quick $1,000 flash from GIAC, will get you an incremental 100+ hp, and one bloody fast and capable car. A car that can run with a RS4 in the rain and snow (granted the clearance issue). The only difference being that lack of storage and seating for adults.

Rstr
April 6th, 2006, 17:09
How much is the GT3 running (w/ options -- not bare) and what's the ETA?
I'm thinking about making the switch too?

April 6th, 2006, 22:24
Originally posted by yetis
Buying a Porsche to cruise for chicks, that's funny. All I can say is RS4 CAB.....

Being this is an Audi forum, its understandable that the board favors the RS4. I was on the list and have since walked in favor of a GT3. TOTALLY different car, yes I know. For a brief moment, I thought that the RS4 would be a good track car... Well, maybe when compared to a s4, its a great track car.

In terms of a Turbo, the biggest challenge for me is that for $75k, I can get a used 996Turbo, with a 2 year warranty. A 996 Turbo has to be one of the best deals going in the performance car category today. If the 420 hp is not enough for you, a quick $1,000 flash from GIAC, will get you an incremental 100+ hp, and one bloody fast and capable car. A car that can run with a RS4 in the rain and snow (granted the clearance issue). The only difference being that lack of storage and seating for adults.

I already have the 996 Turbo S Cabrio and the original RS4. As for the RS4 Cabrio, I feel like I would be ripped off, its £56,000 here in the UK, which when you consider, the RS6 was the same price when it was released!

April 6th, 2006, 22:26
Originally posted by Rstr
How much is the GT3 running (w/ options -- not bare) and what's the ETA?
I'm thinking about making the switch too?

The GT3 is about £90,000 with some extras here in the UK, I'm not sure what that is in $$. I would have a GT3 as well but I question the comfort on long journeys etc. I'm not sure I'll be much of a cruiser! :harass:

007:rs4addict

Rstr
April 7th, 2006, 00:06
I think the prices in the States are a lot lower.
Thank God :bow:

yetis
April 7th, 2006, 13:57
Do you want the new 997 GT3 or a used 996 GT3. The used variant will run you $80k +/- while a new one will be $110k+options, so figure $115-$120, out the door, before tax.

Rstr
April 7th, 2006, 14:17
Originally posted by yetis
Do you want the new 997 GT3 or a used 996 GT3. The used variant will run you $80k +/- while a new one will be $110k+options, so figure $115-$120, out the door, before tax.

$120K + tax -- I think my wife would kill me. She did suggest a Porsche, but I don't think she had that figure in mind. :w:

I suppose a 997S would do. :p