PDA

View Full Version : Junky Tires!

Benman
March 15th, 2006, 21:07
Just looked over the tires that will come standard with the Q7 (all models) and am very dissapointed.

If you get the 18"s (as if...:D ) you get a choice of Bridge Dueler HL 400 or Conti 4x4 Contact

If you get the 19"s you get Goodyear Eagle LS2 or Conti 4x4

If you get 20"s (I assume alot of folks will), you're stuck with the Contis.

Looking at Tirerack, these are some sad tires with the Goodyears being the absolute worst (with the Contis a very close second).

The Bridgestones are the only tires that seem half decent. Granted, all these tires are the "All Season offerings, so the Hi Pos might be better, but does anyone here have any personal experience with these tires? Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts as to why Audi would continue to use the same tires that have plagued Touareg owners from the beginning!:vhmmm: And I'm not sure "because they're cheap" qualifies as other tires are the same price (or even cheaper) and have better ratings!:vhmmm: :confused:

Rant over...

Ben:addict:

gjg
March 15th, 2006, 23:01
for the price you are paying you should get not tires at all .....

just done some price check and relatively loaded ("premium" packagae in US) Q7 here is slightly over $100k ..... and we still have to buy the steering wheel .... :doh:

and I am sure we are - by far - not the most expensive place withing infamous EU

Benman
March 15th, 2006, 23:21
Originally posted by gjg

just done some price check and relatively loaded ("premium" packagae in US) Q7 here is slightly over $100k ..... and we still have to buy the steering wheel .... :doh:

Due payback for the Euro only RS 6 seats my friend!:applause: :harass:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining of the price of the vehicle, just why they put junk tires on them (and BTW, more than likely the same tires you blokes shelling out $100K will have to endure...).

As for the price, drive to Germany. Price for the 3.0TDI starts at 49K Euro.;) :D Oh... and did I mention my Q7 fully loaded will cost me 54K Euro? :D :harass:

Benman
June 27th, 2006, 18:38
Tire update.

Here are the junk tires that come standard on the Q7 Premium (19"): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+LS-2&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=65HR9ELS2XL&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

and: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=4x4+Contact&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=65HR94X4XL&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

Total crap! Especially check out the driver review ratings for the "Good"years!!!puke:

Now, the optional 20" customers get these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H%2FP+Sport&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=745YR0HPSXL&fromCompare1=yes

Much, much better.:0:

steffenr
June 27th, 2006, 23:16
Originally posted by gjg

and I am sure we are - by far - not the most expensive place withing infamous EU

could it be denmark:D

and i think it's closer to 200k than a 100k

July 23rd, 2006, 04:24
Benman,

The tires that came with my Q7 are the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s, and these are quite capable of optimal performance. I'm quite happy with them!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/993C4S/wr.jpg

Leadfoot
July 24th, 2006, 00:17
Originally posted by 911
Benman,

The tires that came with my Q7 are the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s, and these are quite capable of optimal performance. I'm quite happy with them!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/993C4S/wr.jpg

How are you finding it?

Is this your first SUV, if not how does it compare?

July 24th, 2006, 00:36
Originally posted by Leadfoot

How are you finding it?

Is this your first SUV, if not how does it compare?

Leadfoot,

Yes, this is our first SUV, although I've driven quite a few of them in the past. Quite honestly, after reading a few reviews about how much roll is in this car, and the slower acceleration relative to the Cayenne S, I had some concern over the car's performance.

However, I can happily state that this car is phenomenal. Perhaps there is a little body roll, but this does NOT take away from the car's handling capabilities. I was able to really push the Q7 in a few corners at an empty industrial park. Effort wise, I was probably driving at 8 tenths so the car was driven pretty hard. The car turns in quickly and once the car is loaded to the outside it was easy to accelerate hard through the corner. In fact, I was able to get a minor drift coming out of some of these corners. This car can handle - end of story.

The engine is terrific. It does appear to be more sedate in regular mode, but put it in tiptronic or Sport mode and this thing takes off. IMO, my butt-o-meter tells me that there isn't much of difference between the Q7 & Cayenne S when the car is driven in either of these two modes. Oh, and the sound that this engine produces! Simply incredible.

If you need any more first impressions of the car, then please let me know.

Rich

Benman
July 24th, 2006, 18:41
Originally posted by 911

The tires that came with my Q7 are the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s

If you need any more first impressions of the car, then please let me know.

Rich

Goodyear F1s are excellent tires. Unfortunately, they are summer only. All S Lines can only be ordered with all season tires (an oxymoron if I ever heard of one). Actually, I want the all seasons as in So Cal our winters hardly merit "winter" tires, so all seasons will do me fine going up to Big Bear and Mammoth for snow boarding and such...

My point was the all season tires Audi chose to use for the Q7 were sucky...

And Rich,

Please feel free to update us as often as you like with driving impressions. Makes the wait easier...;)

Leadfoot
July 25th, 2006, 00:55
Ben,

I thought you were ordering a set of 24"spinners for the Q7.:alig: Though as the wee smilie shows, I don't think you will look right with them on without the mad hair.:vhmmm: Best to get all the windows tinted.

Benman
July 25th, 2006, 01:18
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Ben,

I thought you were ordering a set of 24"spinners for the Q7.:alig: Though as the wee smilie shows, I don't think you will look right with them on without the mad hair.:vhmmm: Best to get all the windows tinted. :applause:

20"s the very biggest I'm going. Light offroading (you know, soccer mom style), and ride quality prevent me from going the "Yo', yo', YO' " 24" approach. That, and tack. ;)

steffenr
August 6th, 2006, 00:26
Originally posted by Benman
:applause:

20"s the very biggest I'm going. Light offroading (you know, soccer mom style), and ride quality prevent me from going the "Yo', yo', YO' " 24" approach. That, and tack. ;)

I want to see it on 28" floaters with the inside of the wheelarches cut out so they fit and airride, so it can belowered down so it's 0,0001cm above the street:p

Benman
August 7th, 2006, 16:52
Originally posted by steffenr
I want to see it on 28" floaters with the inside of the wheelarches cut out so they fit and airride, so it can belowered down so it's 0,0001cm above the street:p

For what its worth, 30"s were just unleashed at the SEMA show...:rolleyes:

Leadfoot
August 7th, 2006, 23:04
Originally posted by Benman
For what its worth, 30"s were just unleashed at the SEMA show...:rolleyes:

Yep, and they look the part, the only down side is the John Deer tractor tyres you have to put on them.:D

Hey, at least with those tyres you will be able to keep up with any Land Rover when you go off-road.:hihi: