PDA

View Full Version : Shocks cannot be refilled on the car.

Aronis
March 15th, 2006, 01:39
Here is a picture

Aronis
March 15th, 2006, 01:41
Once air is in the shock, it would have to be refilled on the benchtop, inverted.

I sent this very picture to the mechanic before they finally replaced the rear shocks, and he round filled it. (threw it out for those who don't know the lingo).

This is what really infuriates me about this repair. They don't listen.

They are replacing the front shocks tomorrow and new central valves, and next week when it is still not right they will be replacing all four shocks simultaneously and a third pair of central valves.

Mike

Aronis
March 15th, 2006, 14:05
The answer is....

They apply minus 5 bar Vacuum to the shock to get all the air out, then refill it with hydrolic fluid!

So there is a way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike:mech:

Benman
March 15th, 2006, 15:10
Originally posted by Aronis

So there is a way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike:mech:
So then there is a way to refill?

Ben:addict:

Aronis
March 15th, 2006, 15:49
apparently it's easy to let air back in, any loose connection etc....touchy but it works.

Mike

Wang
March 20th, 2006, 06:17
DRC is good, but electronic systems like on BMW M5 far outdoes the DRC in terms of ride quality and stiffness(rides on rails) when set to sport. Less chance of big issues like leaking. I had the same problem prior to giving up my RS.

The RS6 has Quattro, and makes up for a heck of a lot and the car exceeds two wheel drive counterparts no matter how good the suspension.

Aronis
March 20th, 2006, 12:30
My dad picked up a 06 Silverstone M5 as well!

He loves it.

I have not had a chance for a visit to go for a ride, but I am sure it is excellent!

I have been a fan of the M cars for years, but waiting for the AWD M5 WHICH WILL BE MADE!

My DRC is ok so far.

Mike

Erik
March 20th, 2006, 12:48
Originally posted by Aronis
I have been a fan of the M cars for years, but waiting for the AWD M5 WHICH WILL BE MADE!

I don't think so.

Where did you hear it?

Aronis
March 20th, 2006, 13:35
I have posted this OPINION before.

It is logical!

BMW want's US! They want Audi Customer's as does Lexus, MB, Infinite, etc.

What brought drivers to Audi? 1. Lower price of entry to "Euro Sports Sedans." 2. AWD

What brought Me to Audi? AWD.

What will bring me BACK to BMW? AWD M Car. Period.

Why do you think BMW added AWD to the 5 series and 3 series? Not because I could not drive my M3 for 5 years in the Northeast with SNOW TIRES, but because THE OTHER Drivers needed/wanted AWD 'safety'. Let's not kid ourselves, AWD does add a margion of safety and with good winter tires that margion is even greater as compaired to a rear wheel drive car with winter tires.

I wanted a bigger sedan (for my growing family) and AWD for that very safety margion, not because I can not keep my 'rear wheel drive cars' on the road, but so as to avoid the others on the road who don't have SNOW TIRES, drive HIGH CENTER OF GRAVITY bahemoths on snow covered roads, who can't drive well in the best of conditions, who are drunk, high, or just plain stupid, etc. AND I wanted a car that could perform like my M3 which I missed too much as I drove around in my 2000 A6 4.2 sport.

So it's simply logical to ass.u.me that BMW will impletement AWD in their M cars.

Mike

Who else? Acura TL, Infinity G35, MB S500, BMW 545ix, Ford 500, etc, etc, etc.

Erik
March 20th, 2006, 14:09
I think the M cars will still be RWD for a long time to come.

Ooops! Just discovered this
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68781

Benman
March 20th, 2006, 15:10
Originally posted by Erik
I think the M cars will still be RWD for a long time to come.

Erik, remember that is what they said about manual transmissions too. In fact just a few years ago at the Audi nationals, I was talking with some car folks and suggested that the M5 will eventually lose the manual tranny. They all looked at me like I was nuts. Yeah, well who's nuts now...

Ben:addict:

Erik
March 20th, 2006, 17:57
Well, soon BMW will have turbos in many of their cars as well. Another "never." And Audi does N/A RS-cars :vhmmm:

I think a lot of BMW friends who said they would NEVER buy a car with turbo (nor with anything but a manual) will have problems chosing a car in the future ;)

NEVER say never. :doh:

Aronis
March 20th, 2006, 18:03
So, my theory is not so 'all wet' is it.

I CRIED WHEN I SAW AN AUTOMATIC IN AN M3.

And in the Ford Taurus SHO as well and that car died as a result of that.

We shall see if they will build an AWD M Car.

Mike

Boy this thread has run away from itself.
And I was wrong the shocks can be filled while on the car! Just has to be done just right.

LOL

:race:

Paldi
March 21st, 2006, 00:57
Originally posted by Wang
DRC is good, but electronic systems... far outdoes the DRC in terms of ride quality and stiffness(rides on rails) when set to sport. Less chance of big issues like leaking. I had the same problem prior to giving up my RS.

The RS6 has Quattro, and makes up for a heck of a lot and the car exceeds two wheel drive counterparts no matter how good the suspension.

Might I chime in to say the electronic system on the VW Phaeton is amazing when the setting is on sport. Riding on rails with a big grin on my face. That system is also used on the Bentley Continental GT and I guess on the new Audi S8.

Aronis
March 21st, 2006, 01:01
yes, the newer electronic systems with variable fluid viscosity are amazing. First seen on the Corvette and Cadilac if I recall correctly.

And thats version 1.0....just wait a few years until later changes and advances. What bump? Where...the cars will eat up the rough surfaces and even a low end Hundyae will have a sports car ride!

Mike

Spam16v
April 4th, 2006, 23:33
the shock must be in the installed position when evacuated and filled. damage will occur to the valving if the shock is not upright. the car cannot be placed on its wheels with the system open, so if the shocks were empty or opened prior to your driving it, basicly if they weren't junk they were when you drove it. they knew that so they ordered everything for you to avoid any issues at a later date. i talked to the reigonal TFM that worked on your car specificly Mike. if you are the same Dr on Audiworld. the situation with your car was a disaster from what i've been told. he came up and gave me the cliff notes on what actually needs to be done to charge the system to avoid repeat chaos like you experienced. i've got an RS6 that sat for ages and was never driven and the accumulators bled down and are knocking like you cant imagine.

Aronis
April 5th, 2006, 04:22
yes, I confirmed the 'method' of filling them as written above.

I am interested (actually very interested) in knowing some day why my suspension is so soft and what was different from fresh out of the factory vs. what the guys in Latham did. They certainly followed the manual with the help of the regional service rep, but I can't help but feel that the manual is missing something!!!

Clearly my setup is not RS6 or S6 spec, but I'll live with it for the remainder of my lease.

Mike