PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Grey

Speedracer
March 9th, 2003, 22:43
I've seen a lot of pics and video of Daytona Grey. However, it is difficult to really nail the color (and I'm ordering it.) Just wondering if any European owners can reference the color in terms of other makes (BMW, Mercedes, even Audi ) metallic grey color that I can see here in the states now.

quattro
March 9th, 2003, 22:50
I think there's something called "Dolphin Grey" in Audi language which available for the A6 etc. Maybe the closest thing?

AudiWorldMember
March 10th, 2003, 01:39
Well, I compared the paint chip in the 4 page flyer that the dealer had with the Porsche GT2 sitting on the showroom floor. Very close. Of course finding a GT2 might be harder than finding an RS 6. It's also not that far from one of the grays available for the 911 Turbo. Hope that helps.

JP4
March 10th, 2003, 05:10
Originally posted by quattro
I think there's something called "Dolphin Grey" in Audi language which available for the A6 etc. Maybe the closest thing?

Dolphin Grey is actually a little bit lighter than Daytona Grey. I'd prefer the Dolphin Grey but it wasn't offered here in the USA. :rolleyes:

Daytona Grey is a little lighter than Ebony Pearl Effect.

Hope this helps!

:addict:

Speedracer
March 10th, 2003, 14:49
I guess that means it's pretty dark, which is a good thing. Non-Audi colors, anyone?

dabull
March 11th, 2003, 05:36
Well I have changed my mind from Daytona Grey to Ebony and back to Daytona Grey. I have had two A6s in black and the Daytona Grey looks like it will not show swirls like black and not fade. I guess I am ready for something different. Viva le differenc

jfrocke
March 24th, 2003, 01:40
Any idea how the Mugello blue will be to maintain? I've always owned lighter colored cars and am trying to choose a color for my RS6 order.

Based on pictures, I think I like the blue the best.

Second choices would be between grey and silver. Silver seems a little too bland for this car though.

Comments???

scoop
March 24th, 2003, 04:58
I went back and forth between mugello blue and daytona grey before I finally settled for daytona. And I'm very pleased with my decision.

The blue looks best in the showroom, with bright light and a clean car. Daytona tends to look better overall in a day to day use, picks up the dirt less, etc. But both colours actually fit the RS6 really good.

Hope this helps.

krm
March 24th, 2003, 05:17
I have not see Daytona Grey in person, but judging by most of the pics posted of that color (which looks stunning on the RS6 I might add) The closest BMW color I can think of which resembles DG is Anthracite as seen on the E39 M5.

krm
March 26th, 2003, 23:26
here's tectite grey on the W211 e-class

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=325461

Benman
March 27th, 2003, 01:20
those colors are very similar but do not use cirrilac in the paint.
therefore you will not get the cool shimmer effect in the sun:D

JP4
March 27th, 2003, 05:36
Originally posted by Benman
those colors are very similar but do not use cirrilac in the paint.
therefore you will not get the cool shimmer effect in the sun:D

OK...I give up. What the heck is cirrilac? Is that the metal flake material used in the color?

JP4

Benman
March 27th, 2003, 17:32
glad you asked. cirrilac (if thats the way you spell it) is different
than normal pearl that is added to paint. insted of laminated
plastic that's grinded into powder, cirrilac is actually glass thats
grinded into TINY beads. it is then polished so you are left with
a near perfect polished glass sphere with an impressive in sun
light effect. just like people who have those crystal pendants that
they hang in their cars have a "rainbow effect" same with cirrilac.
it just has a very cool "shimmer" effect in the sun light that can't
be duplicated by normal pearls. hope that helps:cheers:

ben:addict:

JP4
March 27th, 2003, 18:32
Very interesting...thanks for the info! I learn something almost every day on this forum. ;)

Benman
March 27th, 2003, 19:17
Originally posted by JP4
Very interesting...thanks for the info! I learn something almost every day on this forum. ;)

as do i, this forum ROCKS:cheers:

ben:addict: