View Full Version : Enough BS - Here is the VP of AOAs name and fax

Aronis
March 10th, 2006, 12:25
Johan De Nysschen

fax number 248-754-6521
voice number 248-754-3349

His assistant is
James Cruse

This is the secret info you can't get from Audi's website and only can be obtained by screaming at the AOA PC clones.

I'm sending a long fax today to fill Johan in on my story.

I'm done, either all parts are ordered today and sent to shop or I want out of my lease.

I suggest we on RS6.com put together a petition of sorts and all of us fax a request for the DRC system seals to all be changed this MONTH on all cars.

This should be a recall

It's time for the Attorney's to step in.
Anyone want in on this?

Mike

Aronis@localnet.com

Email me.

The text of my letter:

March 9, 2006-03-09
Mr. Johan De Nysschen
Vice President Audi NA
By Fax: 248-754-6521

Dear Mr. De Nysschen,

My name is Michael Aronis and I believe you received a Fax from my father Ted Aronis last week.

At that point I was not yet ready to contact someone at your level in the company but at this point I am at my wits end.

I am completely dissatisfied with the service I have been receiving at Langan Audi East in Latham New York.

While I understand that they are trying, I am very upset by the fact that they simply do not listen to the customer.

I first began having this problem back in January around January 17th, when I notice my 2003 Audi RS6 was bouncing over bumps in the road. The car first began having a single thump or clunk in the rear of the car on the passenger’s side and the ride quality was noticeably changing during that week. I contacted Langan Audi East and they wanted me to bring the car in to have it looked at before any parts could/would be ordered. I went there that next week.

The mechanic and the service manager looked at the car up on the lift and the mechanic immediately pointed out that the two rear shocks were leaking the DRC fluid. He said the shocks need to be replaced, but this was before he consulted the service manual. The service manual showed a table which said to replace the Central Control Valves, recharge the system and then see what else would be needed. I said I thought the shocks were probably no longer salvageable as they were clunking. He said they had to follow the manual or Audi may not pay for the extra parts. I said “Order all four shocks, I’ll pay for them, if you end up needing them you can reimburse me, if not I’ll have four new shocks to use later if needed.” I offered this because I believed that the shocks all needed to be replaced since they were now low on hydraulic fluid and would be damaged. The manual (of which I have a copy on CD Rom) specifically said not to put the car on it’s own weight without filling the DRC system to normal pressure or the seals on the shocks could be damaged. So if the car has been driven low on DRC fluid, then it stands to reason that the Seals on the shocks would be damaged.

I asked if it would do more damage if I drove the car home and brought it back when the parts came in and they said minimize how much I drive knowing darn well that I lived 3 hours away from Latham. I asked about a loaner car and they did not have one available at that point. NOTE WELL THAT THEY TOLD ADELLA KIDD OF AOA that they DID offer me a loaner car – that is not true. Perhaps they were implying that a loaner car would be available when I dropped off the car the next week, who knows.

So I was called on January 31 and told the parts were in, so I brought the car back in on February 2nd. They had a loaner car for me.

They were also going to replace the On-Star module and On-Star backup battery which had failed the first week I got the car two years ago. I believe AOA knows about this On-Star issue and the many batteries changed in other RS6’s, etc. I told them point blank that they have to call On-Star with the new electronic serial number in order to reactivate the On-Star and I was told that that’s all automatic.

I got a call a few days later telling me that the parts were wrong, they had sent two LEFT control valves instead of a left and a right. The other parts (tow lines) had come in and the On-Star Module was there. On February 6th I got an email stating that the correct parts were now in and that the car would be ready in a few days.

I got an email update on February 10th and in that was told about road salt playing havoc with my car and that I should power wash the oil cooler and radiator often in the winter. I was told that the road salt was the cause of the shock leak.

That afternoon I got another email stating that the car was finished and I was planning on picking up the car on Saturday morning.

When I picked up the car on Saturday morning I noticed two things. 1. The On-Star had not been activated, and thus the cell phone and 2. The suspension was NO BETTER. When I drove off the lot I heard clunking in the back and the ride was too soft. The front end was squatting too much and bottoming out on bumps. On the highway it did not feel right and was too soft, bouncing after road bumps. I went back to the dealer to have the service person come for a ride. He too heard the thumping from the back. He tried to find the ESN for the On-Star but could not. He agreed that the suspension was not right.

I drove the car home on Saturday anyway to take some time to figure out what I was going to do next. On Sunday I dug the On-Star module out of the car since I knew where it was (I Actually READ THE MANUAL unlike the service department who ignored the big print telling them to call On-Star with the new ESN, etc.) and got the numbers and got it working as well as the cell phone.

On Monday I called Audi of Nashua in New Hampshire and they agreed to look at the car. Of course they too would not even consider ordering any parts without seeing the car first. I was told by Adela Kidd that Audi Roadside would not flat bed the car to Nashua, only to the closest RS6 dealer which is Langan Audi East. So I headed to New Hampshire which is now a 5 ½ hour drive and on the way got a call from Langan Audi who asked that I give them another chance. So like a fool I turned back and headed to Latham New York. After some conversations with the AOA rep they agreed to order the REAR SHOCKS but still would not grant my request that the front shocks be changed as well.

From the time that I had taken the car in for the first visit to the time I brought it back to have the first repair done, the front end had begun to bounce also which meant that enough DRC fluid had leaked at this point to empty the front shocks. Thus they too needed to be replaced as they too were driven without any hydraulic fluid in them and their seals were most likely damaged at this point.

They refused to yield to the pure logic of this that I was expressing and I told them I feared they would change the rear shocks and ‘fix it’ only to have the front shocks begin to leak themselves under the pressure of a dynamic system, that is, when the car is being driven over bumps the pressure produced with movement is far greater than that when it’s just sitting idle. That is the reason why there was not a puddle of fluid in my garage, the shocks were only leaking when the pressure in the shock increased as it was compressed as the car moved over a bump.

So I took the car back to Latham New York on that Monday and left it for them to fix. The new rear shocks arrived a few days later and they went to work on it. I got a call stating that the car was fixed but they could still hear a noise that they wanted to check out. By this point the regional rep had been dispatched to go check it out. I told them that I had dropped a small flashlight somewhere in back and perhaps that was the cause of the noise. It ended up being a tie down strap buckle that was under the back seat which was used to hold my son’s car seat in. The mechanic told me last Monday when he and I went for a ride that when he was finished he test drove the car and did not hear anything, but after the service manager took the car for a ride he heard the new noise. The service manager had folded the rear seat backs down and removed the carpet from the trunk. The mechanic figures that is when the strap got dislodged thus creating the new noise. They then spend another week re-bleeding the system trying to find the cause of that noise. The regional rep found the strap and all thought the car was 100%.

I got a call and picked up the car on Saturday March 4th. This was now 30 days from the original drop off date of February 2nd and a total of about 40 days since the first inspection at the dealership.

When I drove off I thought the ride still was not right, too soft for an RS6, but I could not hear any clunking, but still the front end bottomed out more often than it used to. I drove home the 3 hours figuring that was the best it was going to be.

Sunday morning I took my son to Sunday school and noticed that the car was now bottoming out more often than on Saturday on the bumps on my road and that the car was again bouncing. I took my wife for a ride in the afternoon, and I did not say a word about the car not being quite right. She noticed the car bouncing and bottoming out stating “it never did this before.” So after two more hours of driving be both could hear the fluttering noise from the rear, most likely from the control valves.

Monday I headed back to work (we are in the process of relocating from Malone to Johnson City) and on the way stopped at the dealer in Latham. They had to reprogram the car keys and I at that point wanted the mechanic to take a ride with me.

He drove, quite carefully and slowly on their ‘test loop’ without any highway driving, and noticed the car bottoming out on a few bumps. He thought it was the snow tires which he believed were the wrong size. He would not head onto the highway at my request and basically said he would replace the control valves again if I wanted. I told him I need for him to realize the suspension was not right and then tell me what must be done rather than have him appease me by simply doing that. I told them I’d drive the car for a few days and report back.

(The snow tires are the same size as the summer tires but I did notice that they were a little taller than the summer tires. The first season I drove the car with the snows (I put the snows on the same day the car was delivered to me in Malone as I had already bought them from the Tire Rack.) I noticed on one bump on one road in Malone that the front would make a strange noise – this sounded like rocks hitting some grill. In fact the RS6 front fenders have air vents which are grills that noise I hear was something hitting those grills, perhaps the tire, perhaps a small stone. I have never been able to see any surface in the wheel well which appears to be being hit by the tire and neither could any mechanic who looked for me. So I cannot say where the ‘bottoming out noise’ is coming from up front, but it’s there. Now on every bump. This second season the tires are worn and certainly not as tall as when new. This distinction is key as Langan Audi is saying the noise is because the tires are the wrong size. )

By the time I got back to Johnson City (a two hour drive from Latham) I could clearly hear the noise from the rear end which was now louder. The car was bottoming out on frost heaves on the highway. By Tuesday evening the front was more unstable and the car was now rocking side to side. By Wednesday morning it was clear that the suspension was not right.

I took the car to the local dealer, Empire Audi, which is also a Porsche and Mercedes dealership and had the Porsche Mechanic look at the car.

I looked under the hood and actually said he could smell mineral oil! The DRC fluid he thought! He drove it and at the first bump leaving the garage he said ‘this isn’t right.’ After a few blocks he noted the car pulling to the right, and kept saying this is just not right. Over a few bumps, the car bottomed out, mostly at the front driver’s side. He drove the car back and forth quickly and noted the car was very unstable, and when taking a highway on ramp at 35 he noticed the car loosing traction. He was convinced the car was definitely not right.

Back at the shop he put the car on the lift and looked and immediately saw evidence of a leak from the front driver’s side shock, and when he hung on the car and moved it up and down we could all hear the squeaking from that shock!

Now that mechanic did not want to ‘step on anyone’s toes’ so he declined my request that he phone the mechanic in Latham to tell him what he thought.

I phone the service manager in Latham, Patrick, and asked to have the car looked at again and that they replace the front shocks and perhaps the central control valves. In fact I asked that they order the new front shocks now along with another set of rear shocks and control valves, before I even headed to Latham.

I suspect that under normal driving pressures the front shocks had now begun to leak, driver’s side more than passenger’s side, thus the rocking side to side of an unbalanced DRC system. As the week wore on the system lost more fluid and the rear began to act up as well and the fluttering sound became louder as the fluid level got lower. I understand that there is now way that Langan’s Mechanic could have predicted this slow change as the system lost more fluid, but again at this point they are assuming the car is the same as it was on this past Monday.

Today they called back and said not to bring the car in but rather wait until the regional rep called them back. After speaking to the regional rep, they said they wanted me to bring the car in on Monday with the SUMMER tires on it! I explained that I cannot come Monday as I have surgery all day and now that I have started my new practice in Latham I do not have time to run back and forth to Latham. I was going to bring the car to them on Friday and not bother dragging the summer tires with me since they would not all fit in the car anyway! I would hope that someone at the dealership in Latham could drive a car like the RS6 and realize it is not right!

Tonight on the way home from the hospital I noticed now the rear shocks are again clunking and the front driver’s side shock is clunking. I fear the new rear shocks are now ruined.

At this point I am very dissatisfied and don’t want to waste any more of my time. I do not have another car to use as my wife is 5 hours away in Malone and I certainly am not going to buy or lease another car with this very expensive lease hanging over my head at a time when I am in the middle of starting a new job and relocating. I am unfortunately dependant upon the loaner car program that my dealer offers to have a car to drive! Otherwise I would have already called roadside assistance and had the car taken in. I certainly will not take any passengers in the car with me at this point as the car is not really safe.

I know the lemon law does not apply in this setting but I am very concerned that this car will never be right unless the entire system is replaced with new parts all at the same time. With the system now low on fluid the new rear shocks and new control valves cannot be trusted and in fact the service manual says to replace the control valves any time the system leaks as they are factory set at the proper internal pressure.

I have been in contact with other RS6 driver who have also had their DRC systems fail and in those instances the dealers have changed the entire system at the onset. Also one person reported that he too thought the car was riding softer with the new parts and said something about the system being changed to make it softer!?! This does not make any sense, but if it is true please confirm this rumor. I’d prefer the car back to it’s original ride quality.

This has gone past being a nuisance, the car is down right dangerous. If you cannot give Latham Audi the ‘ok’ to order four new shocks and new control valves and replace the entire system, then I want you to take this car back and end my lease.

I can be reached on my cell phone XXX or office XXX. Please call me once you have read this fax.

Sincerely,

Michael Aronis, MD, FACS

Benman
March 10th, 2006, 15:21
That's crap Mike. If you don't get help after sending that FAX, let me know and I'll start calling that dude too!:thumb:

Ben:addict:

Aronis
March 10th, 2006, 15:22
That is why I posted the number.

WE ALL NEED TO CALL or Fax.

I'll post a Form Letter to Fill in and fax.

Mike

Aronis
March 10th, 2006, 15:26
By Fax: 248-754-6521

TO: Mr. Johan De Nysschen

Audi RS6 VIN ___________________

RE: DRC System

I too drive an Audi RS6 and am very concerned about the future of this system and the possible repair problems.

We as a group need answers and demand better customer service on this issue and future issues.

The failure of this suspension is a very significant safety issue making the car very unstable at speed and on snow covered roads.

Please respond to me at:

Phone ______________________
Email ______________________

Sincerely,

Benman
March 10th, 2006, 15:34
Count me in. You and Paul deserve better. It's one thing to complain about something, it's another thing to take actions to correct it!:cheers:

**edit** FAX already sent Mike.:thumb:

Aronis
March 10th, 2006, 15:47
bless you.

Mike

BBGT2
March 10th, 2006, 15:50
Sending fax right now.

Bajo:addict:

gjg
March 10th, 2006, 15:51
Mike, you got a PM

Aronis
March 10th, 2006, 15:51
THank you.....

Mike:addict:

Aronis
March 10th, 2006, 15:57
Got it, thanks,

response there.

Mike

Originally posted by gjg
Mike, you got a PM

BBGT2
March 10th, 2006, 16:01
"I have 3 kids, ages 12 yo, 2 yo, and 6 months old, all which travel with me at times in my RS6 with me, I need to know that the DRC is a safe system and if there is a problem need It fixed accordingly. In my family we currently have 4 Audi’s that have been bought within the last year and a half brand new from Laurel Audi in Westmont where we have had exemplary service from the. This RS6 is my second one to date that I have owned. Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated. "

I also added this comment from me personaly.

RobertV
March 10th, 2006, 16:11
Mike, I would remove your phone number from the post so that scammers and pfishers do not get it.
Hope you, Paul and others get the DRC repaired!!!

BBGT2
March 10th, 2006, 16:15
The fact that when they replace them with the new version the ride is softer that is ridiculous and if that is the case I will trade my car in for something else, a CLS55 comes to mind. I would really hate to see my beast gone but that is just so stupid that I am furious, I love the way my car handles and drives, getting it to drive "softer" is not an option that I want to have, they can have their Audi and stick it up their butts for all I care for.
I am calling my service advisor right now, and will report on what he knows about this issue.

Bajo

Sorry for the ranting and Mike I dodnt mean to hijack your thread with my furious remarks towards Audi.

Aronis
March 10th, 2006, 16:24
all appreciated.

Got a call back from AOA and regional rep.

Working on doing the repair at the dealership here in town.........we shall see.

Mike

Love the added paragraph Bajo!!!!!!!

JAXRS6
March 10th, 2006, 17:36
My old printer broke and I haven't had time to set up the new one, so here's the text of my hand written note to be faxed to AOA HQ as soon as I finish here. Decided to stick with what I know, which is my car:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
My RS6 -- the 5th Audi I've owned -- has required replacement of some DRC components twice, @ approx. 32K and 50K miles. Service advisor tells me the valve alone is $1K, and since shocks are not covered under the Pure Protection Platinum (best) plan I bought from my selling dealer, I am very concerned.

My factory warranty already has been extended, to 62K mi, and I am grateful for that. Still, the DRC problems are so frequent, why not do the right thing and go to a 7/70 factory warranty for everyone's RS6 DRC system? That's what AOA did for owners of the 2000 S4 (B5) and their frequently failing MAF filters, and I for one appreciated it! Kept me on board at Audi.

I look forward to your reply.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I added a PS indicating that my tech at Suncoast in Sarasota said they had DRC repairs on two other RS6s. Included my VIN, date of delivery and cell phone #.

JavierNuvolari
March 10th, 2006, 18:34
Wish you all guys the best of luck with this issue, I would call if I could but I don't own an RS6 or live in the US.

Best regards,

Javier

Benman
March 10th, 2006, 22:20
Just to give you the heads up I already heard a reply from a man named Michael Harris from AoA in regards to my FAX. Man, that was fast!

We spoke for a little bit, but I mainly I informed him that although I have had no issue "to date" with my DRC, several of my friends have, and that I was concerned about the future of my DRC's integrity and if AoA would be doing something to resolve the issues. He "of course" assured me that if there was a recall issue, AoA would take it very seriously but so far it seems to be just a "few" who have been affected but that AoA is looking into it. He was a very nice gentlemen on the phone, but I'm not sure how much he is personally able to do.

Needless to say though, that FAX got a response and I hope it helps!:thumb:

Aronis
March 11th, 2006, 01:19
Excellent.

I dropped my car off today and took the Dealership manager for a ride. Of course with rush hour traffic we could not get above 50 on the highway, but the few rough road areas we went over made the front end bottom out

But more inportantly with three of the sales guys and the manager and the service manager standing around looking at the car, I pushed on each fender showing the suspension to be far too soft. Then we did the same with an S4 sitting in the show room, which of course was very stiff and hard to move!

The difference is so obvious a blind person could see it!

So on Wednesday the regional service rep is in to look at the car, and hopefully begin repairs....new front shocks and new centering valves.

Mike

Bauer
March 11th, 2006, 22:50
Few is a relative number.... if they have had 200 cars with the problem then that is a "few" if you are talking about 20,000 cars.... but we are talking 1000 to 1200 cars. BIG difference.

I hope it gets sorted out for you Mike and sorry to hear of your problems.

s42ski
March 12th, 2006, 00:41
Just sent my fax - interesting on the DRC - when I first read about it I was happy that Audi had not gone down the road of the electronic suspensions that several other brands have developed. I thought a mechanical system would be more reliable -

5000S old skool
March 13th, 2006, 03:25
AOA FIX DRC NOW!!!!!!

This forum is AOA's worst enemy :D

I'm sure if all RS6 owners send in their fax.. it will become an official recall..

Good luck to all the Beast owners!!:mech:

Aronis
March 13th, 2006, 03:27
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
AOA FIX DRC NOW!!!!!!

This forum is AOA's worst enemy :D

I'm sure if all RS6 owners send in their fax.. it will become an official recall..

Good luck to all the Beast owners!!:mech:

You would think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

5000S old skool
March 13th, 2006, 03:33
is there anything us non-RS6 owners can do to help????

JAXRS6
March 13th, 2006, 06:10
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
is there anything us non-RS6 owners can do to help????

Non-owners who might consider purchasing any Audi could write AOA and suggest they'd be more inclined to buy if they knew AOA had made good on this problem. Even those who don't plan to buy could suggest that in their minds, Audi's reputation for customer service is on the line here.

"A few" indeed.:bye2: Only "a few" Audis supposedly had stuck accelerators when 60 Minutes did its damage years ago.

Vegasguy
March 14th, 2006, 18:23
Originally posted by JAXRS6
"A few" indeed.:bye2: Only "a few" Audis supposedly had stuck accelerators when 60 Minutes did its damage years ago.

OH! Let's not get going on the whole "Unintended Acceleration" BS! Those of us that lived through that are still a little sensitive.

It's amazing that sticking throttles were solved by installing a gear shift lock. :w:

Aronis
March 14th, 2006, 18:41
Let's get serious for a moment.

Everyone knows what cause the Unintended Acceloration.

(as he looks around to make sure no women are close by)

It was drivers who were inexperienced with a car that could actaully get out of its own way who were having the problem.

It's for the sake of those same drivers that BMW put an AUTOMATIC in the M3, blaahk, made me puke.

LOL
Mike
:360:

s42ski
March 14th, 2006, 20:05
Mike, those old 5000's could not get out of their own way by today's standard. I think the turbo had all of 160 HP. I remember that 60 minutes day very well. I stopped watching that show that day. I was an american muscle car fanatic in my youth and used to street race. One of the old tricks was to part throttle the engine ( auto transmission) , and hold the car on the line with the brake - this was with a 400+ HP modified engine with tiny disc front and drum rear brakes!!

The US Government finally admitted that there was nothing wrong with the cars. The best factual article I remember was from Car and Driver which showed that the Audi gas and accelerator pedal were closer together and that there was a correlation to the # of IA events to the closest of the pedals. Note that in Europe they had no issues on this as they were taught how to drive instead of how to parellel park...

OK - rant over

Aronis
March 14th, 2006, 20:13
I love that rant.

I remember it well as well and after that issue made the papers/tv you could get an Audi for a song. I remember trying to talk my dad into buying me a used Audi 90 (if I recall) which was an MANUAL TRANSMISSION and the unintended bs did not apply, but the price was great...it was loaded with all options and in mint condition as the driver was in a panic and had to get rid of it. Too bad we did not buy it, ended up with my dad's '81 Accord - which was a great little car - went for over 160,000 miles :).

I am meeting the dealership's driver 1/2 way between here and there to give them the summer tires/wheels so they can do the repair with the summer shoes on it, as if that would matter! D'ooh.

Should have the car back Friday (but they will be putting my snows back on as I don't remove them until April 15th).

Mike

s42ski
March 14th, 2006, 20:31
Mike, good point - I bought my first Audi in 1990 - an 1989 200 - all the options for about $26K with 40K miles. The car was about $50K new.

Good luck with the fix(es) - We do not have salt on the roads here, but we do have salt air for those of us that leave near the ocean. And it does corrode automobiles - although not nearly as fast as the road salt.

If we wanted a big heavy car with a "cushy suspension" then old Cadillac's are still available.

Aronis
March 14th, 2006, 20:40
[i]
If we wanted a big heavy car with a "cushy suspension" then old Cadillac's are still available. [/B]

They are still available brand new too.

Mike

s42ski
March 15th, 2006, 22:34
Interesting - I got a call back from AOA today with regards to the fax I sent. Mike (AOA rep) assured me that this was an isolated problem and if there were a lot of issues with the DRC then they would issue a recall. I asked him what " a lot" meant and he did not know.

Mike - looks like you just got supremely "lucky" on this - I hope they get it worked out - I need to check and see if my CPO coverage includes the DRC.....

Benman
March 15th, 2006, 22:38
Originally posted by s42ski
Interesting - I got a call back from AOA today with regards to the fax I sent. Mike (AOA rep) assured me that this was an isolated problem...

I think your Mike was my same Michael Harris. Seems Audi has one designated "kicking boy" for everyone to beat on. I feel for the guy.

"Ok Mike, says here on your resume that you can tolerate hours on end of abusive phone calls on matters that are entirely not your fault! Excellent! When do you start?"

Hope that job pays well...

Aronis
March 15th, 2006, 23:13
Isolated incident?

There are at least 5 people posting here who have had DRC problems!

That's Isolated?

Mike

BBGT2
March 15th, 2006, 23:54
As of yet I still have not heard anything from anyone at Audi about my fax.

Just picked up my RS6 from the dealer, the y performed the 15k service even though it only has 7500 miles on the odo. I guess it has to do with the time limit, anyhoo I had my tech DOUBLE CHECK the shocks and the DRC system and he found no problems as I also have not had any issues no note.

Ben what did you write in your fax that you got such a fast repsonse for, maybe you threatened them big time, :p .

J/K

Mike you have nerves of steel man, I would have forced the car down their throat already this is just assanine on their part. They ought to give you an S6 to drive when it comes out just for being loyal this long.

Aronis
March 16th, 2006, 01:48
My car is almost fixed, just waiting for one more central valve.

I was happy that someone acknowledged there WAS a problem with the suspension!

Probably pick up the car next Tuesday, unless it's ready this Friday.

I was surprised that the General Manager 'missed' the opportunity to gain some 'points' from me by offering to GIVE me new summer tires. When I asked if perhaps they could get a better price on my Michelin PS II than I could at the Tire Rack he said no. The dealer price for the Dunlops was $296 each vs the Tire Rack $233. Now we all know that their COST is much Much MUCH less than $296 each, he could of done some quick math and offered me a discounted price on the new summer tires as a peace offering! OR HELL GIVE THEM TO ME! They have my wheels and old summer tires now, to test the car with the proper factory wheels, and the plan is to put the snows back on, keep the wheels there, and I'll have Tire Rack ship new M PSII to them for mounting, etc. Maybe they will READ this and surprise me with free tires...NOT...

Hey, found out from the mechanic that my winter wheels are not the correct offset and they were able to see a faint mark of tire rubbing the wheel well which explains that 'bottoming out' issue. Tire Rack is usually Dead On with their tire/wheel fitment! I am going to bring this up when I negotiate my M PS II actual Price....LOL......

Mike

Vegasguy
March 16th, 2006, 03:28
Mike,

I would have tire rack pay for the shipping back to them, install the rubber on the CORRECT wheels and ship them back. If they will not do that and the tire is rubbing on the inside you should be able to add a proper solid spacer to clear the rub. If it's rubbing on the outside your SOL.

As far as the dealer getting a better price on the summer tires I would be surprised if that was the case. Audi dealers are stuck with buying parts through Audi. They do not move anywhere near the same amount of tires that Tire Race or Discount do.

I personally would NOT have them mount the summer tires for you as they are going to charge the shop rate to do so, at what? $90+ an hour? Just have the shop that Tire rack recommends for your area do it. That way if you have an issue Tire Rack will help you out as they did for me.

Best of luck on getting the car back sooner rather that later,
Pete

Aronis
March 16th, 2006, 13:35
It's worth the Shop Rate, because if they damage the Rims They will have to get new ones, but another shop will "Refinish" them.

I suspect they will not charge me for the remount.

The rubbing I think is the outside? But the offset was 10mm less than the stock wheel's which are a 30mm offset, that means inward, Right?

Mike

SoCal
March 18th, 2006, 10:27
Originally posted by Aronis
Hey, found out from the mechanic that my winter wheels are not the correct offset and they were able to see a faint mark of tire rubbing the wheel well which explains that 'bottoming out' issue. Tire Rack is usually Dead On with their tire/wheel fitment! I am going to bring this up when I negotiate my M PS II actual Price....LOL......

Mike
It may not be Tire Rack's error. Even with the stock RS6 wheels, the front tires can rub slightly inside the wheel well under rcertain conditions. Given your suspension issues, you may have had even less tolerance for the close spacing.

I was at my dealer this week for new brake pads and 25k service (though I've only got 13k on the meter). I was talking to the mechanic (who works on several RS6s) about tire wear generally, since I've replaced my front right tire *twice* due to sidewall bulges. (Strange coincidence - since all other tires are fine, tire wear is otherwise even, and my mileage is very low. Bulges may be the result of potholes on our lovely urban roads here, of course, though I'm pretty careful about that and I don't recall hitting any teeth-gnashing whoppers.)

Apparently, the inside wheel well's protective lining on the front wheels of the RS6 is attached with a row of nuts on the inside -- no problem there -- and one additional, single nut on the outside which can rub the tire slightly under extreme turning conditions (like track use, perhaps, or aggressive canyon carving). I haven't seen any rubbing on my tires but he's seen it on others. So, you might check and see if that's your problem.

BTW, I had the shocks and DRC on my Beast checked for leaks and there were no issues. I've had no symptoms, either, but wanted to be extra sure to monitor the DRC since you and others have certainly had serious problems. The mechanic mentioned that another RS6 he's worked on had a leaky shock, which softened 2 opposing corners of the car. He fixed it promptly without any further problem. I don't know whether the owner of that RS6, which is in Southern California, posts here, and the mechanic said that car has not otherwise had any major problems.

Just FYI. Can't wait to hear how your car handles when you get it back. From your other thread, it sounds like you'll be back in good shape soon. We all certainly hope so.:rs6kiss: