PDA

View Full Version : RS6 laud turbo whistle

trex
March 9th, 2006, 01:10
i noticed the turbo whistle got louder after a couple of weeks from upgrading the ECU to 505hp by ABT, the weird thing is that when accelerating the whistling is manly coming from the right side ,i even tried sitting in the passenger seat to see if there is any deference but it was the same thing you can only hear the turbos from one side 'the right'.
any suggestions ,is this normal???

AndyBG
March 9th, 2006, 02:07
Maybe there is a litle hole in intercooler, that hapend on my brothers TDI, turbine was whistleing like mad.

Aronis
March 9th, 2006, 12:46
Um, you sure its not the engine yelling Yipeeeeeeeeeee more horsepower.....

Mike

trex
March 9th, 2006, 13:45
Originally posted by Aronis
Um, you sure its not the engine yelling Yipeeeeeeeeeee more horsepower.....

Mike

lol i hope soo,,,
but I'm afraid there is something wrong with either the intercoolers or something :confused: the blowing sound is really extreme specially at the end of RPM until shifting to the next gear.

@Andy thanks for your reply ill send my car at sat. to check the ntercoolers it could be it!!

AndyBG
March 9th, 2006, 13:58
Originally posted by trex

@Andy thanks for your reply ill send my car at sat. to check the ntercoolers it could be it!!

Do that, keep us informed what was the problem, wehn you find out.

All best,

Andy

Vegasguy
March 10th, 2006, 05:58
A whistle that gets louder as the engine speed increases is usually caused by an air leak somewhere between the turbo and the intake manifold, can be a pain to find or it can be pretty easy with a little pressurized air.

Now the bad part, it can cause you to overspin the turbo's. This is a BAD thing. Drive it gently to the shop and have it checked.

JMHO,
Pete

trex
March 10th, 2006, 17:30
thanks Vegasguy ill drop it by tomorrow to check for any leak i hope its easy to find.
one question tho, if there was a leak shouldn't i notes any power loss??

Vegasguy
March 10th, 2006, 18:09
yes, once the leak gets large enough. A small leak the turbo's will be able to keep up with. The problem is that since it's possible that your not building full pressure with normal turbo speeds you tend to over spin the turbo, the wastegate never see's full pressure so it never limits boost. If your not seeing a drop in power your leak is still pretty small and you should be fine. Just be gentle until its fixed.

Pete

trex
March 11th, 2006, 15:19
guise what guys you where right the main hose between the intercooler and the turbo was loos they fixed that and did a quick check ,it was visibly OK but they insisted on leaving my car a day or two to mack a full check on the system.
i tested the car and ooh my god i instantly felt the deference.

a big thanks for Andy & Vegasguy for the heads up :)

AndyBG
March 11th, 2006, 17:41
Originally posted by trex

a big thanks for Andy & Vegasguy for the heads up :)

I am glad to provide any help!

:)

Vegasguy
March 14th, 2006, 19:43
Glad to be of service.

Keep your invoice, in the small chance that you have turbo issues later on and they say "you" damaged them, you can point at this issue.

Pete

Aronis
March 14th, 2006, 20:17
At LAST A HAPPY ENDING ON RS6.COM

I am very very pleased to hear it was something very simple.

Have fun.

Mike

Paldi
March 30th, 2006, 15:53
Glad to hear you caught it and had the issue addressed before it caused a blown turbo.:vgrumpy: