PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Clicking Sound from footwell

noushy
March 6th, 2006, 23:46
Hello friends,
I have a problem and I need your help. My RS6 has developed an electrical problem when cold. There are a series of relays in the driver footwell, and when pulling away from a cold start, they click furiously, and the car hesitates a bit. Once warmed up and at speed this goes away. The car never did it before 25k miles, and this seems to have occured with more than one RS6 owner. The dealer had it checked out, and AOA says that is normal. Anyone out there had this problem or know what the fix is please post. My dealer is willing to repair any part, if they can figure it out.

Noushy

mmaturo
March 7th, 2006, 05:21
As I said in your last post about it I have the exact same clicking from relays (down near the dead pedal) that is starting to bug me at slow speeds moving from a stop and slight hesitation from start if getting into throttle from low rpm at a stop. Just started doing it about a month ago. Going to take it in as the car threw a check engine light again. Had the code checked and reset a week ago. It was a code for an air pump/compressor that appearently puts pressure into the system on cold starts that was not operating properly (didn't fully catch the description from the tech). I have noticed car has been running at lower rpm idle speed since the code went off. Not sure it is all related but seems to be.

nene
March 7th, 2006, 17:42
For the tip cars, there is a secondary air injection pump that helps our cars pass emissions. On the S4, I got it replaced recently, as it got very loud during starts. On the RS6, I don't have this yet.

However, when there are issues with it, or the full system in general, it can be observed via the VAG tool as DTC code 17831 for example. Here is a good method to troubleshoot and make sure there are no leaks in the system: Click Me (http://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/19663.phtml).

It is quite possible the air pump is going bad, however it is more likely that a small leak exists instead. Really simple to diagnose per the link above. However, unsure if this can result in power loss or loose items in the footwell.

The footwell portion is very easily removable. Find a good friend to ride with you and best diagnose where exactly the clicking is coming from. If you have access to a VAG tool, even better, so you can check to see if there are codes that can be cleared, even though they aren't showing up as a CEL (check engine light).
VAG Tool locator site (http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl)

If you really wanted it fixed, you may have to be prepared to spend a good amount of time troubleshooting it yourself. That is what I end up doing it most of the time. Time consuming, however I find it fun. Dealer normally will give you the usual "working as designed" or they will say "fail to replicate".

Good luck.