PDA

View Full Version : RS4 with an average driver

5000S old skool
March 5th, 2006, 04:26
We all know that the B7 RS4 cant catch the E46 M3 CSL in the Green Hell, with a professional driver at the wheel of each...

However, with an average joe shmoe driver like me and you driving both cars, do you think than an RS4 can beat an M3 CSL around the Green Hell, even on dry pavement??

Because RWD has been proven to be better around the track, but it takes much more skill and practice to master to get those times. But with Quattro, it is easier to get good, consistant times with an average driver..

Let the Debate begin....

rks838
March 5th, 2006, 06:04
Yes. The M3 does take mastering with rear-wheel drive that the RS4 does not. And no, not everyone can master the car, even if they want to. The RS4 is more driver-friendly, I think. I'd bet Joe in the RS4 would beat John in the CSL around the Nurburgring, but it'd likely be a very close race.

DaytonaGreyRS4
March 5th, 2006, 09:58
RS4: 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. 0-100 in 10.5 seconds. I want to see that publication on a mid 12 sec 1/4 mile.

RS4 is faster than the M3 CSL in a straight line at least :thumb:

Given equal drivers, I'd imagine the RS4 would have the edge!

M3 CSL is fast on a track, I'll try and find the vid where it kept up with a 911 Turbo!

KK265
March 5th, 2006, 11:31
http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=828&p=3

DaytonaGreyRS4
March 5th, 2006, 19:48
Originally posted by KK265
http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=828&p=3

That's the one :thumb:

Erik
March 6th, 2006, 08:00
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
do you think than an RS4 can beat an M3 CSL around the Green Hell, even on dry pavement??

Not if the drivers are the same.

5000S old skool
March 7th, 2006, 01:55
Originally posted by Erik
Not if the drivers are the same.

not if the drivers are the same professionals....

but if the drivers are both the same average driver.. i think the RS4 can win...

S4Aero
March 7th, 2006, 03:01
This is really an apples to oranges comparison. The CSL is a mostly stripped race car. The RS4 is a fully loaded (sound deadened) luxury sport saloon. The two cars simply aren't in the same league.

I suppose that if your motivation is to achieve the quickest track time, get a nice used M3 CSL. On the other hand, if you actually use the car for say - a freeway trip, or a run to the grocery store, or to pick the kids up from school, then I suspect that the choice becomes clear as well - RS4, hands down.

A more accurate comparison will be when the new RS4 race version hits the Speedvision GT series. OK, at that point the RS will be prepared beyond the CSL, but follow this analogy:

M3 CSL is to Stock RS4 as Race Prepped RS4 is to M3 CSL.

Many threads on many different boards have talked about this. To me, the search for the fastest track time, 0-60 time, 0-124 time is a losing proposition. Just when you think you've found it, some kid in a nitrous injected Civic will ruin your day.

Hell, the new Shelby is 475 HP, 475 torque with a claimed 0-60 in 4 flat and an 11 something 1/4 mile. Want a Ford? I don't.

Frankly, I'm quite sure that Audi could offer an RS4 that would smoke the CSL if they wanted too, but the motivation is not to build an uncompromising sports car. The motivation was (seems to have been) to build an uncompromising sports touring, 4-door luxury sedan that has no rival in its class. I think that they've succeeded at that.

[edit]

Sorry, I tend to overreact on the whole "which is faster" thing...

Oh yeah, I suspect that the RS would win with two "average" drivers in the race, the RS being friendlier at speed. I also believe that if two pros were driving, the CSL would win, the CSL being easier to toss around.

Erik
March 7th, 2006, 07:53
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
not if the drivers are the same professionals....

but if the drivers are both the same average driver.. i think the RS4 can win...

The CSL isn't very hard to drive...

7:53 RS6
March 7th, 2006, 10:49
A car thats been buildt whit the track in mind is simpy easier to drive around the track. A car thats not buildt whit that strategy is of course harder to go fast round a track. If it wasent like that why build a race car. Now this is not the same that all can use a track like car to its full potential, far from. The track like car goes faster whit ease on track and thats whats often stopps the most avrages joes from accualy going faster.

Im always astonish when im driving a real racetrack car, thats the closest you get to being one whit the car. You think right it goes right. My volvo V70 estat hardly turn right att all if im comming to fast in to a bend.

Concerning the topic, its like impossible to say. Its not so much up to the cars on a track like the ring, it more up the the driver, especially when talking about avrage joes.
This goes for all track i guess, but ther are more open safe tracks around where even avrage joe can go full attack whit out risking the life. On the ring its often not the super cars that are fast, on the contrary. Talking touristfaren and not race.