PDA

View Full Version : Car Show Report...

S4Aero
March 3rd, 2006, 05:01
I'm sure this will be old news for many here, but today was the first time I got to see the mini-beast in person. Oh my! :rs4addict
I've seen all the pictures and vids that you have, but they just don't do it justice. It is truly awe inspiring in person.

A quick comparison is in order. I will freely admit to being a European Car snob, so take this for what it's worth.

I never miss our local (Greater Cleveland) car show. I pay very little attention to the US manufacturers, having long since been disillusioned with the build quality of even the highest priced US cars. This year's crop was no exception. The mighty Corvette Z06 is still a chevy inside. Sure its got 500+ horsepower, but when you begin to look at the details, it falls just a little short. At $65K it shouldn't fall short. Plus, the obvious mid-life crisis men looking at it made it even less attractive.

For a point of reference I also took a good look at the Cadillac CTS-V. Same story. Its a $55K Chevy. The interior was awash in cheap plastic. I'm sure the engine is great, but I couldn't live with the interior quality for 5 minutes, much less 5 years.

Too bad.

Chrysler and Dodge are just horsepower whores with no real style, and certainly, no class. I just don't like them. Even the new Challenger concept - while interesting in its homage to the original, lacks the quality upgrades one would expect of a revamp 35 years in the making. Sure, Chrysler can build high HP engines, but hell, they put them in pickups and Jeeps!

I spent the rest of my time looking at the European and Japanese entrees.

This will propably ruffle a few feathers, but both, BMW and Mercedes Benz disappointed me.

Let's start with Merc. Sadly, AMG was poorly represented at the show so I spent time in the "everyday" mercs. Obviously, they are very nice, very well built cars. The doors close with a resounding "thunk" as opposed to the clank and rattle of lesser vehicles. From C to S, everyone's a capable compliment to anyone's stable. My only complaint centered on the look and feel of some of the controls. The heat/AC temp knob felt cheap for a car of this caliber. Why? I could live with them if I had to though. :D

I really only looked at the Lexus IS350 while in the Lexus area. A friend is getting one soon. It was OK, but less comfortable than my SAAB or my Audi. The interior fit and finish isn't as nice as either of them. It still looks like a fun car, though.

Quickly, I checked both the EVO and the STI. Both are renowned for their speed and roadability, but both are absolute crap inside. Thirty Thousand Dollar cars for kids. If I were a young twenty-something they might be fun, but that time is long past for me.

On to Bimmer. Generally, I was very disappointed in the line. The old M3 is showing its age. And at $60K it looks like a tired shadow of its former self. I really wanted to fall in love with the M5, hoping that I would like it better in person, Nope, still HATE the trunk/quarterpanel line. OK, I'll try to get past that part. The interior HAS to be special. Well, I can see where Bimmer fans will love it, but i'm not in that camp. It's OK, but I never got that "come, sit with me, love me, drive me" feeling. Again, I'm sure I'd love the car on the road, and it's hard to argue with 500 Bavarian horsepower, but the interior was just not what I want in my $90K sports sedan. Hell, my 9-5 Aero is much more comfortable and inviting at half the price.

So, it's time for one last pass to the Audi - Porsche sections. Thank God. Another look at the RS4 and my (admitedly predjudiced) opinions are confirmed. The RS is a piece of fine art in a sea of velour "dogs playing poker".

Audi had the car locked to keep the seething masses from defiling their masterpiece, but a three-audi history, and having the first official order placed by the largest dealer in Ohio brought me some dispensation. they graciously unlocked the door.

Ahhhhhhh. Refinement, Fit, Finish. Grace. That certain j'ne sais quoi that I'd been looking for all night. Thank God that this was the car I had ordered, and not one of the pretenders. I know that other cars will be faster. I don't care. This is the car for me.

Now I only have to wait until June...

jasaretta
March 3rd, 2006, 05:38
S4Aero

thanks for the reoprt. What I found interesting is that if you replace American cars with Australian cars then you could have written my review of the Motorshow here in Melbourne Australia.

The "thunk" (as you describe it) of the mercedes doors is something that I really noticed - as well as the crappy AC knob :)

I didnt bother with the Lexus stand - and the only thing I liked about the Porsche stand was that all the cars were the same colour - but they did little to inspire me.

The other stands I spent more than a few minutes at were the Ferrari, Mesarati and Lamborghini stands - why? - just because ;)

Same deal here with the RS4 - locked behind glass so people couldnt even touch it. I felt very special when my dealer approached with hand outstretched, shook my hand, congratulated me on my order and proceeded to unlock the car. He had to use pliers to get my fingers off the steering wheel :)

Youre right though - no picture does this car justice.

Thanks again for the report.

James

Benman
March 3rd, 2006, 15:51
Originally posted by S4Aero
So, it's time for one last pass to the Audi - Porsche sections. Thank God. Another look at the RS4 and my (admitedly predjudiced) opinions are confirmed. The RS is a piece of fine art in a sea of velour "dogs playing poker".

Amen to that!:thumb:

A nice write up, if a bit Audi biased.;) :cheers:

Ben:addict:

SoCal
March 4th, 2006, 06:49
To S4Aero, thank you for the excellent comments. It's nice to know that the RS4 is making a wide tour after its debut. Can't wait to hear how much you'll love driving it after delivery. :rs4kiss: Now you must really be counting the months, weeks, days, minutes...