PDA

View Full Version : Best sounding exhaust/downpipe combo...throaty, aggressive

lthlvpr
March 2nd, 2006, 20:32
I know exhaust sound is very subjective, but I am looking for the best blend of performance and sound. I have come across several exhaust systems (B&B, Milltek, Sportec, MTM, etc, etc..) and they all use similar muffler designs and identical diameter tubing, so I would guess the performance between them is nearly identical. As a result, I thought it may make sense to focus on sound. I plan on doing full exhaust (down pipe to tip) and I haven't heard any of them. Anyone know which one offers the most aggessive and throaty sound?

How many cats are in the stock setup: 2 or 4?
If 4, does anyone offer a 2 cat or, dare I say, catless system?
Thx.

BBGT2
March 3rd, 2006, 18:52
Originally posted by lthlvpr
I know exhaust sound is very subjective, but I am looking for the best blend of performance and sound. I have come across several exhaust systems (B&B, Milltek, Sportec, MTM, etc, etc..) and they all use similar muffler designs and identical diameter tubing, so I would guess the performance between them is nearly identical. As a result, I thought it may make sense to focus on sound. I plan on doing full exhaust (down pipe to tip) and I haven't heard any of them. Anyone know which one offers the most aggessive and throaty sound?

How many cats are in the stock setup: 2 or 4?
If 4, does anyone offer a 2 cat or, dare I say, catless system?
Thx.

Hi,

I have the full Milltek setup and love it, the down pipes have 2 cats versus the O.E. 2 precats and 2 full cats. So yes the O.E. has a total of 4 cats.
The sound is awesome and the harder you drive it the throatier it gets, nothing like heating up the materials in the mufflers to get the sound going.
I have had in the past a system sold by APR which was made by Billy Boat and they SUCK big time, so stay away from them. Those are the only 2 choices I can give unput on. Milltek is my choice as I have had it on my previous RS6, my 01 S8 and my current RS6.
The sound is not overly aggresive at all, actually for my taste I wish it was a little louder, but I run my GT2 with straight pipes so yes I like to hear a engine breathing.
Lot more turbo whistling with the Milltek downpipes, but a PITA to install.

www.stratmosphere.com (http://)
Is where I got mine from.

Dont know of anyone that has done a catless system as it would be a pain to switch back to cat's when needed, as well as you will get CEL, unless you know of a tuner in Europe that will and can turn the O2 monitors off, but if you have to do an emmisions test you will not pass without the cats.
MTM makes a good product its just for me it wasnt worth what they were charging for their top of the line system, good tuner with a lot of experince in Audi's.

Bajo :addict:

Rich_C
March 10th, 2006, 22:21
I've just had the full Milltek system fitted. I did a lot of searching about the Milltek system but didn't find too much info ... hopefully this will help...

RS6 Milltek & stock photos .... Photo's (http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=52439)

RS6 Sound file ... Sound (http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=52440)

There's a few other threads on exhausts on the forum as well.
Can't really comment on any other systems.

Rich.