PDA

View Full Version : Got my car! Review... (warning, i will gush)

Spada
March 2nd, 2006, 04:02
Picked my car up today!!! Ok I've come straight out of a b6s4. Before that an m5, before that i had a tt, and before that a quattro s1...

It looks utterly awesome. Daytona grey btw. It just happened to be parked next to a couple of rs6's and even they looked slightly tame in comparison. (only slightly.)

First cool thing i noticed: The exhausts make this light pattering noise against the air on tickover. The seats are the most comfortable i've ever sat in. I set up my sat nav (a first for me) and was on my way. Drove fairly easily out of town. Tickling the accelerator slightly, it feels if anyhthing slightly less torquey than the s4. This is only at very low revs tho.

But the first roundabout I came to, I poked the accelerator and carved round it and instantly I was grinning. I am telling you this thing feels like it's on rails compared to the s4. I hammered away up the dual-carrageway and NOW i feel the power difference. It pulls like a train! The delivery of the torque is amazing:

With turbos it's like having rockets that practically explode when you reach a certain place in the revs, blasting you forward in a sudden, instant rush. A turbo car on paper might only do 0-60 in 5 secs but it seems to punt you from 30 to 60 in about 1.5 seconds and that = f u n.

Most N/A Engines aren't as fun: It's more like having slower burning rockets that push you forward in a steady predictable way. You get full power nice and early, but there's no sudden explosion waiting for you - no kick in the back.
Having been a real turbo fanboy, I grew to love the way the s4 pulls hard from nothing, and to be fair, it pulls pretty hard all the way through the revs. I would just stick it in 4th at 20mph and feel it tug all the way to 90 in one huge, muscular stride.
In the RS4 however, the the initial torque feels just as heavy as the s4, but as it builds pace the ferocity just seems exponential!! It drives you forward harder and HARDER up to 6000 (you're limited to 6k when running in) and although you can't go to 8250, you're VERY aware of just how long and powerful the reach of this engine is. It really does have such a huge stride it makes the s4 feel like it's legs were cut off at the knees. I just love it! The way it just lays on the power thicker and thicker takes you by surprise and over such an impossibly wide expanse of revs it is just incredible. And to think that there's more than 2000 more revs to be used blows my mind.

So then I get to some twisty country lanes and get a chance to see how it turns: Again, big improvements are instantly noticeable over the s4. The steering is much more direct. The wheel itself is smaller and only very slight adjustments are felt instantly through the seat as the car responds. It feels alot stiffer, but by the same token, I ran over a big pot-hole and felt (and heard) barely anything. Because it stays so much flatter under cornering and acceleration, and yet absorbs bumps so well, it just feels like the suspension is doing much less work, which, in turn makes it feel like it's a car half the weight of the s4.

I love this car. It has the Audi refinement and build quality i've come to love. It is beautiful and has dramatic prescence. It has the good old planted, assured feel and massive traction I would always expect from an Audi, but it's now combined with a composed, firm chassis, direct, communicative steering and a mind-blowingly muscular and responsive engine. Just incredible!...

jasaretta
March 2nd, 2006, 06:02
Spada

thanks for the review. As I have said repeatedly - hearing how good this car is when people actualy get their hands on it makes my wait even harder.

Great review and congratulations on the car. The way yo have described it made me almost feel the acceleration.

Drive safely :)

james

DaytonaGreyRS4
March 2nd, 2006, 09:26
The flat tq curve, and deep redline I imagine are awesome!

Every car I've owned has been N/A. My last car was 2004 E46 M3.

Too think the RS4 has 420 hp N/A, close to 90 almost 100 more hp, I hope the B7 RS4 is able to trump the E46 M3. Comparing the two stock of course. However, the 0-60, and 1/4 mile times is est. to be very close.

Real world / real owner's running their cars - I'm looking for the 1/4 mile, trap... haven't seen anything published on the RS4 yet. Due to Audi being conservative on any publications.

I'm happy for you, you're a lucky owner

:rs4addict

Rstr
March 2nd, 2006, 15:02
Congrats :0:

AndyBG
March 2nd, 2006, 15:18
Congratulation,

ENJOY!

P.S.

Do you also have this stering wheel?

Sutters
March 2nd, 2006, 15:51
Spada are you Uk based? We are having a debate on RS246 regarding running the new RS4 in, you say max 6000 rpm. Can you tell me for how many miles please?

We were getting reports of 3000 rpm for 1.5K miles !!!

..IS

Spada
March 2nd, 2006, 16:38
Hi Sutters. I was told rather casually to just let it warm up a bit at the start of each drive and just generally not to gun it around for 1.5k miles or so, keeping it below 6000 revs for at least 750-1000 miles.

I only pushed it to 6k twice on the 30 mile drive home. And only when it was nicely warmed up.

Just read the posts on 246 and that thing about warming it up to full temp before you even move it seems a bit odd. I'm just gonna take it easy at low temperatures and exercise restraint for a thousand miles or so. Wish I knew more about this engine and how I'm supposed to be treating it though.

Sutters
March 2nd, 2006, 16:45
Spada thanks for the swift reply I gather you are in the U.K?

Audihead
March 2nd, 2006, 16:51
Congrats! but,

http://dtwaudi.com/images/smiles/postpics.gif

Spada
March 2nd, 2006, 16:55
yep. I will have a look in the owners manual in a minute. I think I will build the revs slowly over about 1000 miles. Like ~3k for 300miles, <4k until 500, <5k til 700, <6k til 1000 and then gradually start straying beyond! It's gonna take alot of willpower though. It's a shame they can't run them in for you in an optimal way before you get the thing.

Sutters
March 2nd, 2006, 17:10
mmmm agree most high powered engines these days are bench run, seems rather weird they put this kind of excessive restriction on for the opening 1000 miles!

Benman
March 2nd, 2006, 19:22
Originally posted by Audihead
Congrats! but,

http://dtwaudi.com/images/smiles/postpics.gif

:applause:

Yes, some pics would be great!:thumb:

Enjoy!

Ben:addict:

DaytonaGreyRS4
March 2nd, 2006, 22:42
Originally posted by Sutters
Spada thanks for the swift reply I gather you are in the U.K?

Hahaha... Lets hope he's not where I'm located...

Spada
March 3rd, 2006, 18:36
not sure how to attach more than one pic per post...

Spada
March 3rd, 2006, 18:36

Spada
March 3rd, 2006, 18:40
did the best I could in the low light...

Benman
March 3rd, 2006, 18:41
Originally posted by Spada
not sure how to attach more than one pic per post...
(you and me both:D ).

Nice! The Beast finally arrives.:thumb:

DaytonaGreyRS4
March 3rd, 2006, 19:01
Damn, that's nice ;)

Rstr
March 3rd, 2006, 19:32
That is one beautiful car.

Julz RS4
March 3rd, 2006, 21:01
Thanks mate for the report and congrats for your B7 RS4 purchase. :applause:

Audihead
March 3rd, 2006, 21:59
Awesome RS4 thanx for the pics. I like it in Daytona Grey.:0: :rs4addict

SoCal
March 4th, 2006, 06:57
Great car and great color. Thanks for the great write up and pics. Enjoy! Break-in period will be over soon and then..look out.:revs:

Congrats!

TT_soon_RS4
March 4th, 2006, 12:09
well done - enjoy! I just cant wait to get over the running in period then its on to 8250!!!

Pic of my RS4 in the snow yesterday :rs4addict

AudiTumbo
March 5th, 2006, 12:04
Guys, c'mon! We want more pictures of your new beautys! :brag: :rs4addict

Benman
March 6th, 2006, 15:53
Originally posted by AudiTumbo
Guys, c'mon! We want more pictures of your new beautys! :brag: :rs4addict

Yes, it's impossible to have too many (that is, until the server crashes...:p ).

Nice one of the Beast in snow.:0: