PDA

View Full Version : Geneva Auto Show Report (photos to follow)

tailpipe
February 28th, 2006, 20:54
Introduction

As always, the Geneva Auto Show is petrolhead heaven with plenty of interesting cars beautifully displayed. Compared to last year, however, the show is somewhat disappointing. Nothing appeared that we didn’t already know about. As expected, Audi showed the new RS4 Avant and convertible models, new S6 saloon and Avant models, new A6 Allroad, new Q7 SUV and the S8 saloon. But there was no TT, R8 nor A5 coupe, and not even the Roadjet concept is being shown.

Among other manufacturers, Ferrari showed the 599 GTB which is sensational. Porsche showed the new 911 Turbo and GT3 models. There was also the new Porsche Cayman S, (which if it only had 50 bhp more and a limited-slip differential would be a better sports car than the venerable 911). Mercedes-Benz showed its gigantic GL SUV, while BMW’s stand basically had nothing new except for its twin-turbo 3.0 litre diesel. Big deal. I expected to see the new 3-Series coupe. As compensation, BMW displayed the new Z4M, in both coupe and convertible models, but it looks cheap and nasty next to the Cayman. Lexus unveiled the new LS460, which is a truly impressive and technologically accomplished machine. Mercedes beware. Volvo showed its new S80 model and the C30 concept. Aston Martin showed its four door concept. (Both Bentley Flying Spur and Maserati Quattroporte do it better.) Lotus unveiled its new Europa, an interesting variation on the Elise. Jaguar had the new XK in both coupe and convertible models. Renault showed the new Clio, which I thought was about as sexy as watching paint dry.

The only real surprises were provided by Honda, whose Civic Type R pocket rocket concept was unveiled by Jenson Button, and Rolls Royce which showed its bling coupe – something patently designed by a team of gansta rap stars. Skoda showed a production version of its Roomster concept, but I can’t see any RS6.com fans caring much about this.

In summary, Geneva 2006 was notable for what wasn’t there. Or rather it makes you realise what a vintage year 2005 was. According to rumours percolating around the show among journalists, many manufacturers are waiting for the New York, London and Paris auto shows. I have a secret belief that the new TT will be unveiled at the London show, because the UK is the TT’s largest market. We’ll see. Meanwhile, back to the present, let’s have a closer look at the Audi offerings RS6.com fans are most likely to care about.

Audi – RS4 Avant and convertible, S6 Avant and Saloon

The RS4 Avant is gorgeous. No question. It has real presence and the bulbous rear wheel arches communicate its purpose. There is nothing new on it that we haven’t seen already on the Saloon version or in the S4 Avant. However, the sports bucket seats will be available in two-tone colours. These seats really do hug you tightly and anyone with a waist size larger than 36 inches may prefer the Recaro sports seats instead.

I noticed that Audi did not publish the weight of either the RS4 Avant or convertible anywhere. Given that the 0-100 kph time has only increased to 4.9 seconds, it seems that the weight has been lowered on both these models. The Sprint blue RS4 convertible looked marvellous. Anyone considering getting an RS4 is advised to check out this colour.

If you want a Bluetooth telephone connection in the centre arm-rest, then you will not be able to have the sports steering wheel. To have both sports steering wheel and phone, you will need the factory-fitted telephone mounting point that extends out from the centre console.

For me, the unexpected highlight of the show was the new S6. It has 435 bhp, not 420. S6 model additions, including front LED running lights, 19” 5-spoke alloy wheels, body-coloured side rubbing strips, lowered suspension, and subtle V-10 badges below the side indicators, really add something special to this car. The interior is also spectacular. Notably, a unique design of sports seats makes for a driving position that’s more sporting, comfortable and adjustable than the RS4’s IMHO.

How to compare these two cars, then? The RS4 is a hard-edged sports car and a precision driving instrument for those who demand ultimate responsiveness and a sense of total intimacy with their car. This explains why it has a manual gearbox, pinpoint steering and limpet-like traction. The S6 seems to be more languid and effortless performer. It’s more discreet, takes a bit longer to pump out the horses, but ultimately has more urge while being more relaxing to drive. We’re talking 0-100 kph in 5.2 seconds (saloon) and 5.3 seconds (Avant). It also comes with a six-speed auto gearbox, so your right foot will get less of a work-out.

I like the fact that the S6 has more space and shouts less overtly about its sporting intentions than the RS4. It somehow feels more grown-up and more effortlessly capable. The S6 is also a generation ahead of the B7 A4 chassis, so feels bang up-to-date. All in all, the S6 bodes well for the next RS6 and beyond any shadow of a doubt. On the downside, the S6 weighs some 200 kgs more than the RS4, so I suspect it will simply not be as sharp or as honed on challenging roads. Moreover, the RS4 has an aura about it that defies exact description. You can’t help feeling that the passion and engineering effort expended to create it reflect the ability of men for whom it represents a life-time achievement. Both S6 versions arrive before the RS4 Avant.

In summary, looking at Audi’s stand at Geneva, you realise that it has the best balance between design, engineering and manufacturing quality. Audi’s styling endows its cars with individuality but together they have an unmistakable family look. If you feel spoilt for choice with its cars now, just wait a few months: choosing between an RS4, A5, S6 and R8 will be all but impossible. And what a great problem to have.

I am restricted by the slow speed of my dial-up connection, so will post pictures tomorrow evening on my return to London.

Fab
February 28th, 2006, 21:00
Thanks Tailpipe another great report from you :0:

Will be there tomorrow to enjoy the beast :rs4addict and the other.

AndyBG
February 28th, 2006, 21:11
Originally posted by tailpipe

...new S6. It has 435 bhp, not 420.

More power, that is allways a nice surprise.

I have filling that new S6 is going to be more than just ''retard'' older brother of RS6.

Qriouz
February 28th, 2006, 21:40
Great report, than u very much...:0:

Benman
February 28th, 2006, 21:57
Anyone considering getting an RS4 is advised to check out this colour.
Audihead will be glad to hear that. :D

For me, the unexpected highlight of the show was the new S6. It has 435 bhp, not 420.
Glad to hear that. So only down 15hp vs the S8 and "old" RS 6. Not bad.:thumb:

How to compare these two cars, then?
Moreover, the RS4 has an aura about it that defies exact description.
That's easy, one's quattro, the other is a "regular" Audi.;) :D

Great report.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

PS, did any of you meet up with Johan (Freerider)?

Finnus
March 1st, 2006, 13:36
Tailpipe,

Excellent write-up. Thank you. So where do you stand on your RS4 vs S6 dilemma?

Finnus
:addict:

tailpipe
March 1st, 2006, 15:15
Originally posted by Finnus
Tailpipe,

Excellent write-up. Thank you. So where do you stand on your RS4 vs S6 dilemma?

Finnus
:addict:

:rolleyes: :doh:

It's like choosing between two beautiful girls.

BTW some conflicting reports on BHP of S6. All Geneva press material said 420, but on the stand they said 435, i.e more than RS4 but less than S8. Actually, bhp is probably less important than torque. Torque absolutely mind blowing.

Iceman
March 1st, 2006, 18:13
:rolleyes: :doh:

It's like choosing between two beautiful girls.

BTW some conflicting reports on BHP of S6. All Geneva press material said 420, but on the stand they said 435, i.e more than RS4 but less than S8. Actually, bhp is probably less important than torque. Torque absolutely mind blowing.
On the Audi.de site thay also mentioned 435 hp.

wfg, Hans.

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:38
Pictures 1

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:38
Pictures 2

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:39
Pictures 3

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:40
Pictures 4

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:42
Pictures 5

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:43
S6 for comparison

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:44
S6 again

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:44
S6 interior is very nice...

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:45
Wheels are okay close-up IMHO

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:48
But those RS4 wheel arch bulges, boy aren't they something?

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:49
Had to post the LS460 as i like Lexus more and more...

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:50
More RS4 shots. Just love Sprint blue.

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:51
And this...

tailpipe
March 2nd, 2006, 22:52
but this is my favourite...

Julz RS4
March 5th, 2006, 21:07
Thanks mate for your cool report and pictures. The red Audi B7 RS4 Avant is simply awesome. :thumb: :rs4addict